PDA

View Full Version : Way to 'unlink' one particular object from being affected by Sun & Sky?

Richard7666
08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Short of compositing separate layers, anyone know how I can stop my backdrop billboard plane being affected by MR's physical sun & sky? It's just a backdrop for the view out a window; I have a surface shader on it and want to be able to control its lighting with a separate light. Unlinking the plane from the physical Sun & Sky sun directional in the light linking editor has no effect.

fezz
08-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Just comp it in; the sun & sky is a camera shader/bg so anything rendered through that camera is going to be affected by it. What we usually do with s&s renders is dupe the camera and constrain it to the main cam and just override the render cam on render layers to exclude elements from s&s.

MasonDoran
08-12-2010, 11:48 PM
check in the render stats of the shape node of the object.

Turn off all of the settings....especially the MR ones.

That, or use light linking

fezz
08-13-2010, 12:10 AM

Well, light linking doesn't work and as part of the sun/sky node setup is an lens shader...unflagging render node attrs won't change that. :rolleyes:

Richard7666
08-13-2010, 08:17 AM

As I said in my post, and fezz said, light linking doesn't work with Sun & Sky lights. I'll try your first suggestion though, cheers

irwit
08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
You have 2 issues.

Sun sky is "2" lights.

You can turn your object off to final gather easy , you can even stop it blocking final gather with the hide from final gather custom attribute. So that's the sky light sorted.

As for the sun, could you create a second sun, creating a mental ray sun "by hand" and keeping it in the shader of a directional, unlink the directional light to your object. Then you turn off your original sun but link your new one to your old one so position effects the sky still. . You could even link your new suns colours, strength etc to your old one.

If that still didn't work just use a normal directional unless you need the soft shadows.

fezz
08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
You have 2 issues.

Sun sky is "2" lights.

You can turn your object off to final gather easy , you can even stop it blocking final gather with the hide from final gather custom attribute. So that's the sky light sorted.

As for the sun, could you create a second sun, creating a mental ray sun "by hand" and keeping it in the shader of a directional, unlink the directional light to your object. Then you turn off your original sun but link your new one to your old one so position effects the sky still. . You could even link your new suns colours, strength etc to your old one.

If that still didn't work just use a normal directional unless you need the soft shadows.

That won't work either, because there's no way to exclude the bg plane from the exposure shader unless it's rendered from a separate camera and then you might as well just comp it. Plus, the physical sun shader overrides light intensity & color settings...those are determined by the angle of the directonal light transform node.

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.