PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the renderer

Qslugs
09-27-2003, 04:13 AM
This is an identical post that I made on the other messiah list.

http://www.screamingrabbit.com/test/room_001Foy_.jpg

Just a test of a room I had wanted to GI render in LW and never got around to (the rendering was taking way too long). While all the textures are not yet present, nor are all the models, I am happy with the way the renderer is shading things.

It's nothing special actually, however I plan on doing more with it in a bit. I just thought I'd post a link up here for everyone to look at since were all discussing the renderer.

this is rendered with the photon map solution set to default, with one point light set to .35 outside the shades and also the light is being calculated from the sky.

mike

Panikos
09-27-2003, 11:45 PM
This sample scene is not suitable for judging the renderer since the light is weak. To observe/study light you need a stronger presense of light in the scene with specular highlights.
(See cornel box scenes for instance)

Good luck in your tests
:)

Qslugs
09-28-2003, 06:29 AM
yeah, for some reason the the gamma was much brighter in messiah and pshop. I was running more tests today, however I was getting fairly long render times. I never let any renders finish. I'll post again once I get a brighter image up.

Panikos
09-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Since we are on topic ...

I want to express my happyness about messiah renderer.
And this is after extensive study of other renderers.

The benefit of messiah render next to others, is that it provides the option of allocating number of photons to be used during the GI calculation. Additionally the ablility to link expressions with the rendering engine with this simplicity, is great.
And the fact that officially this is not the "final" version, I am very happy with its future.

I do have some opinion about other renderers, but I prefer to focus on messiah render.

tais
10-18-2003, 08:15 PM
hi, very Messiah newb question:
Is it possible to render a Lw scene with Messiah render?!
Is it faster?! What kind of limitations? (Md,Pfx,etc?...)
thank you

Chewey
10-18-2003, 08:24 PM
yes you can load a LW scene into messiah. No you can't just hit the render button and render the scene. Forget about using any LW plugins and expect to spend plenty of time tweaking lights,materials and textures before you can expect to see a render work. Don;t expect to have the animation carry over well from Lightwave into Messiah either. Some might and then what does will require some amount of re-setting up in messiah to get it to work properly if at all.

Messiah's render (non radiosity settings) does operate fairly quickly but it's not easy to equate LW versus messiah render times without having some type of standards to calibrate and compare with.

tais
10-18-2003, 11:30 PM
thanks for the reply!
:p

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.