PDA

View Full Version : Jurassic Park 3

Editboy
12-14-2001, 01:32 PM
Just got the JP3 DVD last night. Some very impressive work. Thought it was interesting that they still use old Softimage and not XSI or Maya.

wlau
12-14-2001, 04:04 PM
Heh yeah. It sure seems like there's a whole underground that still uses softimage3D.

Personally I have never used it, but I've heard a lot of good comments about it.

I hope more and more people will continue to migrate over to xsi.

PenGuin
12-14-2001, 06:59 PM
The aswer is simple. Normal users that work on softimage easy swtiched to XSI becouse they use raw Softimage. But big fun begins when you build your workflow around softimage with
own developed software. And if it works great. Tell me a reason to switch to so different environment. Writting proprietary software is a lot of work :rolleyes:

have fun with new relase :D :D :D

mind
12-14-2001, 08:02 PM
ILM also uses XSI apart from SI3D, they have used it for JP3 and have also used Maya a lot.

Fat&ugly
12-21-2001, 09:23 AM
LONG LIVE SOFT!!!!!!

mr-doOo
12-21-2001, 05:07 PM
in fact soft3d do not have any node evaluation like xsi and maya, that s why it is very quick, and why it is used for animation in a lot of big studios

edmundw
01-08-2002, 04:41 PM
heard that SI3D is a very complicated piece of software... Any ideas?

mr-doOo
01-08-2002, 05:46 PM
not complicated, but old and closed system, and also an old but very intuitive interface, for me it was a lot simple to learn soft3d
than max or maya...

dube911
01-14-2002, 07:00 PM
Also keep in mind major studios such as ILM, Mainframe, etc. won't change to XSI right away for a couple of reason, first XSI 2.0 is the first version that will allow developers to buy the SDK kit what this means is that now developers can go into the core of the engine fo XSI and develop custom tools/presets set for production needs. An other role is also training animator, modelers to a different package this is never an easy tasks. Also before XSI 2.0 XSI had lots of bugs, limitation, but now XSI 2.0 will breed a new generation of animators.. :D

cheers
.stef

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.