working on a model which required a lot of texture maps

when i render normally

i keep getting a error message mental ray out of memory

running on a windows XP

Intel Core 2 Dou 2.93 GHZ 3 gigs for ram

thinking of upgrading my pc

mostly do modeling and texturing

so what should i upgrade?

but on batch render it renders fine and pretty fast...

?

Can somebody explain why this happens in normal render it keeps hanging out of memory error but nothings wrong when i do it in batch render?

O_o

scrimski
08-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Batch rendering doesn't load the program to the full extend. Same goes for backburner or when you render via Maxscript's render() command.

Roninfang
08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Ic....

thanks for the info ^^

JustinPunio
08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I was having the same problem when I was using displacement maps. I upgraded to 8gb of ram and am still having problems, but I can render like you in Batch. You might also want to look at your settings in MR. You can set it so that your render may take longer, but it will at least render eventually and not produce the fatal error MR out of memory error.

Ram is what you need though... min 8gb if you have displacements.

korthuran
08-13-2010, 11:49 PM
How many textures do you have and what is the resolution on them?

Roninfang
08-14-2010, 05:57 AM
roughly 10 maps each one 4k resolution size Tiff format for normal tangeant mapping which by the end of the artwork would be probably be a total of 10-15 normal maps

wells its my first time to normal map so kinda new to it have to say though normal mapping does make a big difference

haven't made the colors maps yet

korthuran
08-14-2010, 05:19 PM
That's probably the issue. Ten to fifteen 4k maps is a LOT of 4k maps. You need to have good reason to use that many of that size. What are you modeling/texturing?

Roninfang
08-14-2010, 06:15 PM
A character i made heres is the 2d artwork

my friends kinda talked into making a 3d version of it they say it would make a great 3d piece which i can use in my demo reel since the 2d artwork i also made it..as my friends put one of the reasons why they think it would a great 3d piece is i can show the employers i can do a bit of 2d or i can translate a 2d sketch to a 3d piece plus some employers prefer a 3d artist with a bit of a 2d/traditional background and such...

so i blame my friends XD for inspiring me to create a 3d version of it :P

but originally it didnt occur to my mind ill make a 3d version of it thats why it looked a bit different in the 3d version...plus i have no clue what design ill put on its back XD since yeah the 2d artwork shows pretty much just the front

http://roninfang.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2l3b6d

supposively well my first time to attempt normal mapping with the use of zbrush and this if the first time ill texture a character this complex

well i wanted to model and texture something animation friendly with proper edge flow,complete with textures, this time with normal maps and such to show in the demo reel that over the past month my 3d skills have improved a lot compared to my previous 3d artwork...which wasnt animation friendly , no textures at all the model i mean...

and heres a render test with just normal maps actually is looking good so far but some tiny issues for one yeah anatomy isnt perfect yet new to zbrush but i will get better its just a matter of practice

it was my first time to use zbrush and normal mapping still a bit confused what some of the brushes do in zbrush

for now i guess i learned my lesson with this personal artwork so mental note next time lessen texture maps

if that so how do i texture then a character lets say with a lot of armor pieces? or robot thats a bit complicated like transformers and such?

korthuran
08-14-2010, 09:01 PM
First off texture to the camera and the render resolution.

Even with a lot of armor pieces the process is still the same. Lay out the UV's efficiently and texture it based on what you're going to be showing and how close up you'll be showing it.

A character with a lot of armor pieces will require more maps than one that has few pieces to it but most of the armor pieces could easily be done with 1k maps (or even 512 maps) and still hold up on medium and close shots.

A 4k texture is 16 times larger than a 1k texture. With ten 4k textures you could have 160 1k maps. If you need more than that for one character then I don't know what to say. You can do massive environments with fewer maps than that.

If you're happy with the result you're getting from the maps you currently have you can probably just resize them in photoshop. Even if you just drop them down to 2k maps you'll still reduce your texture memory requirements by 3/4 and that should stop the crashing.

Roninfang
08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
ic ill try resizing maps see if that works thanks for all the advice ^^

Roninfang
08-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Tried reducing maps to 2k and it worked not any of the detail is lost ^_^

well i just thought of making each map high res because in case of those close up shots

when i tested it with half the resolution size not much difference

ill cutting it down more to 1k if its not much difference ill keep the normal maps to 1k then

Roninfang
08-16-2010, 07:38 AM
tried cutting it down to 1k maps and it works ^_^ not much difference and renders a lot faster...

though now i am stuck with the hair...how i am going to do the hair on the back of the helmet...

the hair is suppose to look something like this

http://www.rangercentral.com/images/prwf-vi-zenaku2.jpg

attached to the back of the helmet covering pretty much the whole back area of the head

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2010, 07:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.