PDA

View Full Version : rig's mesh getting holes

derik
08-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi
I hope someone has come across this before
I'm using Maya 2009 sp1a
I've got a rig with a maya muscle setup.

When I pose the rig , save the file and reopen it , some of the mesh's faces are gone. The missing faces are not consistent (it seems like random faces all over the mesh).
It is the first time I'm using maya muscle , so I dont know if this is a common bug , or if I am doing something wrong.

Screen shot attached.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=155481&stc=1
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thx :)

Darksuit
08-10-2010, 03:26 PM
This is not really enough information to go on. It could be any number of things, From unwelded polygons to something in maya not recording vertex locations. Rarely are polygons lost. Usually what happens is that polygons get expolded off into far reaches of a scene, or the near and far clipping plane get set to something really low.

Without seeing the mesh as a scene file or a screen shot of the mesh heirarchy it's all just guess work. The reason to look at the mesh to to check the welding of the vertices and how the mesh was constructed, to see if there are any problems.

kirkjr2
08-11-2010, 01:56 AM
I would check the normals on the model first. Maybe something with the muscles is messing with it? Its hard to tell without having the scene file first hand.

derik
08-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Hey guys , thanks for taking the time to reply.
Unfortunately , I cant post the scene file because of the usual legal bull ... :)

Butt .... I think I found the problem in my scene.
Some verts on the mesh ARE exploding to infinity and it seems that the reason is that when I use the muscle "paint smooth" operation on the mesh , some of the verts gets pushed out of the "sticky weight distance". If I increase the max distance on the sticky muscle influences , the problem seems to be solved!

I haven't had time to check and test it properly , but atm I am convinced that this is the problem.

Will post here again once I'm sure
Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2010, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.