PDA

View Full Version : Train Workshop, Potential Reel Peice

Dralex789
08-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Hey guys,

I am currently working on a small scale high detail game environment. I have the lighting finalized using only point lights, spot lights, and area lights, but I am still unsure of my scene. I will include my render cam shot, but I am willing to change that. The big issues I am worried about are details. do I have enough, too many, are they in the wrong place etc.

Would love to hear what people have to say,

Alex

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/dralex789/trainenv3.jpg

2nd Render:

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/dralex789/2ndenvrender.jpg?t=1281511091

Newest Render:
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy289/dralex789/testrender.jpg

Stonepilot
08-10-2010, 08:12 AM
With a static piece like this. Where is your point of focus? What is it that you're trying to convey.

If you don't have a point of focus, how will the viewer know where you want him/her to rest the eyes.

Right now you have some bright spots in the back, but there's nothing to look at back there.

As far as details go. At this point your painting skills and lighting will totally make or break your scene.
- think about your subject.
-decide on a color palette
-re work your lighting to accommodate your subject.

Dralex789
08-10-2010, 08:25 AM
My goal was to convey originally a train, but that wouldnt fit in (insane poly count). I plan on pushing the environment itself as a whole, and I'll use the sunlight to highlight what I want. My painting skills are decent and I do plan on updating this as it goes along. I have also cut back on the lighting, and dropped the entire scene poly count to under 80tris. Will probably go even lower than that.

Stonepilot
08-10-2010, 08:42 AM
I say model the train and treat it like a diff. Model all on it's own. If asked, you can say the env. Is 80k or whatever, and the train is at 10k with 1k texture or whatever. No one will fault you for that. Love to see the progress. I'd like to see your final lighting when you're done.

You can always push the env. As a whole, as it was presented originally and as it actually is there's nothing really going on. In my opinion. In my limited experience with env. There's always been a purpose when doing env. Or a point of interest.

Dralex789
08-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I agree, and I just re opened and looked at my train *sniff* fond memories. I bet I could cut it down hardcore. My big fear is adding a train would draw focus from the little details that I am adding (crooked power outlet etc) which was my goal, to present my attention to unique detail which builds realism

polypixel
08-10-2010, 04:58 PM
My big fear is adding a train would draw focus from the little details that I am adding (crooked power outlet etc) which was my goal, to present my attention to unique detail which builds realism

If anything, having those details additional to your main focus (the train) will show your attention to detail. To me, that says "despite having a main focus, he still values additional detail" which looks favourably on you. :)

Dralex789
08-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Put up a new render, added the ground texture (concrete, needs a slight desaturate), and the train tracks. Also finished another texture sheet of small props.

I think I will bring back the train (its this one)

http://tacticaldesignstudios.com/Coppermine/albums/userpics/renderrr.jpg

But I plan to cut that down to a game model.

EvilBlah
08-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Awesome! Everything is looking sick and I think if you do cut that train down and add it to the scene you will have a more focused piece that showcases your ability and attention to detail like @polypixel said!
I love the little details you have going and while I know its a wip I am a little worried about the ground texture and the texture in the 'train pit' area. The spot where you can work on the underside of the train. The concrete textures are very different. I would try to blend these a little better(color, and type of concrete)... Just my opinion. =)
Good job and keep it up!

Stonepilot
08-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Ok. Man. Why would you ever think of not including that train. It's a pretty solid model. I think put some love in to the texturesand you'll have a really solid piece. Make sure to update this thread.

Dralex789
08-15-2010, 04:50 AM
Updated again,

Fixed that concrete texture to match (planning on adding a ramp of another texture from the floor up,

Added wall textures, which need tiling tweaks. Added more modeling detail while cutting others.

Textured more objects, got some trees in the back, all good things. Drop texture size in a few areas to save memory on my poor computer.

I am still messing with the lighting, but its been dropped from 8 lights to 3, and the spot light acting as the sun was cut to a directional to prevent shadows going in strange angles relating to each other.

Oh and still planning on adding decals very late into everything to mix up the blandness. I also cut my AO pass, to make it more accurate to a game. Still planning on texture and cutting more.

Ober
08-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Hey Darlex789,
Everything is looking great. I would use the train, as your point of focus like Stone pilot said.
Stoked to see how it will turn out. Could we see some wire frames?

Dralex789
08-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Ah the train. Ok here is the scoop. I am currently a student, and this environment is for a class. However the environment is due thursday, and so everything that is in the scene now, will be what I turn in. A lot of what I talked about later, (retopologizing the train from a bajillion tris to sub 10k, decals, more details like wall plugs, etc). Later meaning probably in the coming weeks afterward.

Any yes I will show some wireframes, but I am ashamed of some of the things that are in there right now lol. All my barrels are the high poly versions sitting at over 1200 tris, when they could be closer to 200-400 or something like that. Ill render one out later tonight, and maybe one of the low poly train, which is currently WIP. Thanks for all the support and advice,

Alex

Dralex789
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Lighting.

Right, so I have textured what I need, but I am at the point where I need suggestions for lighting. I have switched over to a sunset/late day lighting. From what I see/understand game lighting usually involves accented areas, to show off certain things.

For example here http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_05I37rq4NV8/SGRm_zZPEAI/AAAAAAAAAOo/ZkX4GWfjb3M/s400/mexicoGame01.jpg The windows are light sources along the side, with other lights placed throughout to draw attention to the street. Unfortunately lighting is majorly my week point. I was debating adding small lights that run down where the work is done on the train, then one over the door to the office, but I want to add more than that. Anyone have any good ideas? I will post what I have so far in the morning.

Alex

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.