PDA

View Full Version : Area light in reflections

JohnP10
08-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm trying to add an area light (any light really) to a room with a mirror on the back wall.

How can I get it to render in MR without the hot spot showing up in any reflections?

Is there a better way to amp up the general brightness of a room to avoid this?

Thanks

Galakgorr
08-10-2010, 01:35 AM
put a one-sided plane in front of the light, make sure it doesn't cast shadows. put a ramp texture on the plane, i usually use a UV ramp that goes from black to a very bright color (V=3 or so). this way you can control the brightness of the illumination and the reflected color separately.

JohnP10
08-10-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure how putting a ramp texture onto a plane would effect the attributes for the light??

Is the plane to be placed between the light and the mirror, blocking the reflection?

InfernalDarkness
08-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Are you using Final Gather? Have you tried the Portal lights?

What material are you using for your Mirror object? You shouldn't be seeing any highlights at all, as highlights no longer exist using mental ray materials.

You should have your mirror modeled as well: glass and metal separately. Be sure to put some bevel into the glass part as this will help increase realism and refraction (if you're using GI/caustics).

JohnP10
08-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Are you using Final Gather? Have you tried the Portal lights?

Refer to the other thread you've been helping me with...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6642940#post6642940

Found a solution to the 'hotspot' issue for those who are interested:

Within the mia material, towards the bottom is an "advanced" tab and within that is a control for "Specular Balance", turn it to zero to eliminate the hotspots.

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2010, 08:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.