PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Batch Render Delay Between Frames

vicinima
08-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Hello all, I am trying to batch render out a sequence using Mental Ray, however I am getting a very long delay between rendering frames. Maya Software batch render seems to work fine, no delay, but whenever I try to use Mental Ray, it seems like it gets stuck after each frame, and wants to sit and think about it for 10-20 minutes before continuing on to the next frame. Sometimes, it quits on the batch render completely, and leaves unfinished frames. However, oddly enough batch render process continues to run in the background, even thought nothing is being rendered.

I'm pretty much stuck on how i'd get around this issue, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciated. I'm running maya 2009 unlimited, on an imac with Leopard 10.5.8 installed, and the scene consists of about 78,000 faces, with a combination of curves and extruded geometry from the curves.

petey
08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey I'm not sure if our problems were related by I found a bit of a solution.

I found that by selecting all my objects and choosing 'export selected' it got rid of a lot of junk and I was no longer getting delays between renders. However my render layers didn't export so I had to untick the 'show DAG objects' in the outliner so I could see all the various nodes. I then I selected the render layers along with everything else that I wanted to export.

nookie
08-02-2011, 04:02 PM
You can use something like this to render one frame at a time
#!/bin/bash
for i in {1..60}
do
echo $i
Render -r mr -rt 4 -s $i -e $i -proj 'MayaProjectPath' 'MayaSceneFileName'
done

Bitter
08-02-2011, 06:54 PM
If you are rendering large frames the holdup could also be the time it takes mental ray to compute the Maya glow shader post process, even if the frame doesn't contain glow.

This generally happens at the end of a render.

Turn off "export post effects" in the render settings.

If your image size isn't very large then that probably isn't the cause. But can always try. :-)

comfortk
08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Could also be that mental ray is looking up the DAG sets for each individual piece of geo for each frame. If you have lots of geo that share the same shader, combine them. Also, if there is unneeded geo, get rid of it

petey
08-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Ok actually I think it was the CustomColor pass that I was trying to do. Seems it was responsible for the major delay/stall in between frames.

Maya has left me in the fetal position once again.

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2011, 04:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.