PDA

View Full Version : how to make a character grab/hold something by his hand ?

thefox220
08-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Hello every body, I wanna know how to make a character grab/hold something (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=82141) by his hand Like phone and animate the phone with the hand, I use maya 2010, and I work on my new animation scene, my character rig is ( Azry rig ) and when make parent give me this message ( // Error: Node '|Azary:Azary|Azary:Anim_GRP|Azary:R_Arm_all_grp|A zary:R_Ik_Hand_CTL' is locked and cannot be reparented. ) .
So please any one give me Solution ?
Thanks

R1c00
08-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi there,

if the character will be holding the object for the length of the shot it's pretty simple. Just position the object how you want it in his/her hand, then select the object and press ctrl-G to make a parent grp for the object. Center the pivot for the Grp. Now use a parent constraint to attach the GRP you created to the wrist controller on the rig. This will make your object stay in the characters hand and allow you to animate the object while the hand moves.

P.S. make sure you check the 'maintain offset' checkbox when making your parent constraint.

hope that helps

Cheers!
Rico

lostpencil
08-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Yep, that's a good way to do it. Often if you just orient/point/parent constrain the object to the wrist/hand all you have to do is rotate/translate the group node into place once (so that your cup, for example, is right side up, and positioned properly in the palm of the hand) and not worry about it again after that because when you animate the wrist the object will follow.

If you want to animate the character picking up the object, you can animate the strength/weight of the constraint so that it is 0 when the cup is sitting on the table, and 1.0 when the hand is on the frame just as it picks it up.

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2010, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.