PDA

View Full Version : Stitching things together?

merlin9876
05-27-2002, 08:36 PM
Are there any general concerns I need to check for before I start modeling in XSI in respect to the ability to stitch the different pieces together? I'm looking into making a cute little robot (yes, another one...) and it would be mainly composed of subd's and some modified standard geometry. Are there many ways to stitch things togheter? I'm aiming to eventually animate the piece. Thx!

Null_
05-28-2002, 06:52 AM
Beside the Boolean option you can either blend or merge your Poly Meshes (Model/Create/Poly.Mesh), and of course you can do it by handů

merlin9876
05-29-2002, 01:19 AM
Thanks! Anything I should know for the blend or merge? Do I need to have the same number of vertices/points for the pieces to merge/blend correctly?

Vic3k
05-29-2002, 03:06 AM
merlin9876 come on, just try it youself. it's not a brainer. click here and there. in 10 min you will know everything about those

merlin9876
05-31-2002, 11:20 AM
Well, maybe for you... I tried two cylinders with top to bottom very closely and neither merge or blend managed to bridge the two opposing faces (both with same and different numbers of side faces so they would match perfectly and not; I also used the biggest treshold I could give). I only managed to make them be one but not stitched. I think I have one or two tutorials somewhere on this but if I remember correctly, they were about subdivs. I hope the same thing can be applied to simple geometry. In simple terms, I was asking if I had to do the stitching manually or if something automated the task in SI 2? Well, back to the drawing board...

cmortier
05-31-2002, 02:06 PM
You can also try make them into one object, and then use bridge polygons, you may have to select the faces before.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.