PDA

View Full Version : Roller Coaster Operator, Sormann At Work (3D)

sormann3d
09-26-2003, 04:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2664/rc_operator4b_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2664/rc_operator4b.jpg)

Hi, this is one of the first pictures of my new character
Roller coaster operator

Thekkur
09-26-2003, 05:04 PM
very neat! I like that nasty tongue :-) is it part of the themepark project?

GSuRfer
09-26-2003, 05:21 PM
great stlye.

Riddler?
09-26-2003, 06:13 PM
AHH DONT SHOW ME THIS!! I AM GOING TO SIX FLAGS TOMORROW!! :p I LOVE it! :buttrock:

FLOw
09-26-2003, 06:17 PM
everything on the theme planet page is like...sooo cool? :D:thumbsup:

sormann3d
09-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Thekkur
very neat! I like that nasty tongue :-) is it part of the themepark project?

Yes ,He's the guy who operates the main console of The Rapid Rabbit rollercoaster in the back.One of the most popular Attractions on Theme Planet :)

Tiburon3D
09-26-2003, 07:26 PM
that's a great character. I love all the details in the background and in the operator's outfit.

Awesome work!

sormann3d
09-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks .I took me quite a long time :)

DAREONER
09-27-2003, 02:10 PM
yeaah good, specialy the background

Ac0rN
09-27-2003, 02:39 PM
like I said , great :thumbsup: !

Dennik
09-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Isn't it getting boring for you to get another choice award from CGtalk?(oh yeah i see it coming again) I mean come on man! Leave some space on the gallery for someone else! :D

Great stuff as always. I love your work. :thumbsup:

Moo 4.5
09-27-2003, 02:57 PM
wow thats really cool!!!! :eek: :eek:

I wouldn't go on the roller-coaster he operates, he looks a bit dodgey. I think he needs a big droplet of drool hanging from the end of his tounge :drool: :drool:

The pics got really nice depth, and those characters built into the other rides are really well done.

urgaffel
09-27-2003, 02:58 PM
That's great. I've got two complaints though: the eyes look very flat and dry, needs tighter specular, and the iris is grey? Second, the lighting isn't top notch, he's a little dark... Maybe a subtle light from below? I don't know, but he needs something :) Still, I really like the image, and it's just minor things.

How big will the Theme Planet project be?

???
09-27-2003, 06:00 PM
very nice !

tom.lowe
09-27-2003, 06:25 PM
I just love the style and look of this project.

One question in the end will this be a short animation or will it be a series??

Salaadin
09-27-2003, 06:38 PM
i love that character he looks like you can never trust him or expect whats next ..cool stuff ..:thumbsup:

JooS-10
09-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Great job man! I would have to agree with urgaffel about the eyes though, some shine on them would make all the difference. Overall sweet work

onscreen
09-27-2003, 06:52 PM
A good work you have.!
love the frog. is that a frog?? I think so...

i love all the equipments at the back.. looks good :D

KungFuJackRabit
09-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Great look on the new one. Did you submit an image for the new Maya Fundamentals book Gallery?
You should contact them again, talk to Elise or Garry.
KFJR

Kel Solaar
09-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Nice work, very well done!

phoenix
09-27-2003, 07:46 PM
awsome work dude....i love it

rrobert
09-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi there mr. Sormann! I've seen you site long ago. I saw that you where working on a big project about a themepark. I was (and am still) really impressed by your work!! And now that I see this new one you've created, i must say again: Nice work! :thumbsup:

Any idea when this large project will be completed.. Can't wait to see te result.. ! :cool:

See ya! greetz Robert

misjah
09-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Love this project ...cool concept & style

guido
09-27-2003, 08:25 PM
The character is cool.matches the others of your World well.The idea and amount of work is what is most impressive,along with the great amount of details.
I wanted to ask you if it were possible to get another render from another perspective within the park itself.Bring the camera in on a track somewhere in the center of your scene and get another view/angle,is this possible somewhere down the line or near future?
Love your work,very interesting.:beer:

William b. Hand
09-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Love the detailing in his face! Great background, of course...
What a cool project you've created for yourself. I've been following this for about a year, I think.

The figure itself seems a little choppy... what's the story there?

Great feeling overall -- the work you're doing for this has such incredible atmosphere, and you can smell and taste it... the grit gets under your nails, and the rust and grease stains your clothes. It's fun exciting spooky!
Bravo!

William b. Hand
09-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Huh... I'm disallowed access to editing my own post for some reason.

I just wanted to add:
Where's the vest belt shadow??

ThomasMahler
09-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Jawdropping work you've got there, Michael! It's always amazing to see your creations - I love your style and hope you'll be successful with Theme Planet!

Danmoreno
09-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Hey Michael,

Love your work. :) Canīt wait to see your film finished? Is there a date already? Iīm a fan of you work. Keep it up! :)

hackie
09-27-2003, 10:24 PM
very unique model!!
i like the way you set up for your model and environment.
lighting turns out pretty good.
nice yo~!!

ji.

sormann3d
09-27-2003, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback!:)

To be honest originally this character was supposed to be a cameleon ... not a frog ...I hope this will be more obvious when I finished a sceene I plan where he adapts his skin color to the background.

Guido: I already created some other renderings of Theme Planet outside world on my homepage :
http://www.sormann3d.com/portfolio/TPpicture/TPgallery/planet_night.jpg

urgaffel: I agree that the light and eyes ar not optimal...I am working on it ...will post it tomorrow

urgaffel
09-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Great. Your other images are just awesome, so I guess I have slightly high expectations :)

Looking forward to the update!

guido
09-28-2003, 12:38 AM
sormann: Yes I have visited your Theme planet site many times.The night shot is great.But what I meant was perhaps another shot somewhere inbetween all the rides.More in the middle of that scene you created,a shot with another angle or perspective from another location.Maybe you can create a camera on one spot and than take a few shots from that spot,differnet angles etc.Ok just a thought,I love your stuff,keep them coming.:thumbsup: :beer:

keenerbean
09-28-2003, 01:01 AM
I am always astounded by the sheer volume of quality work you've produced and how much more you intend to do. If your going for a chameleon I would suggest changing his eyes. Of all things I believe their eyes are what make them instantly recognizable as chameleons.

Keep at it!

sormann3d
09-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Yes I know...normally cameleon have very strange eyes with a skin over it that covers nearly the whole eyeball. This gives the character of course a stange expression if you want to make him act human like and its hard to express emotoins on the face.

Here a new version whith different lighting and improved eye speculars:
http://www.sormann3d.com/portfolio/TPpicture/rc_operator4c.jpg

avalon
09-28-2003, 01:27 PM
:beer:
Wonderful the best!
L like the boy.:wip:

William b. Hand
09-28-2003, 06:48 PM
If being a chameleon - by virtue of changing colours to blend - is important to the storyline, then the actual changing of colour will communicate what you need it to.

I love the eyes, but if your worry about expressiveness being lost is what's keeping you from trying the scale covered eyes, I think you'd be able to do something that suits all needs.

You could try something simple... keeping the eyes essentially as they are, but creating a super-thin sheeth, with concentric tiny scaling, that runs over the whites nearly to the pupil. Keeping apparent the change in thickness and texture might be enough to communicate all previous levels of expression with only a cosmetic shift. Maybe it's not as simple as I imagine it to be.

Although the covered eyes of the chameleon play a huge part in the look, I would offer that the shape of the head is one of a frog and not of a lizard .

While it's not reasonable to reshape the whole head, you might pop the top of his head up so that it's higher than the eyes... and maybe slightly pointy. That could be all it needs to shake the frog look.

I don't even know how important this distinction is to you, and I'm running with it.:blush: Well... maybe it'll freshen your eye.
Thanks for being so constant in your replies to everyone's reactions, by the way... It's refreshing!

sormann3d
09-29-2003, 07:02 PM
hmm the idea with the eyes is not bad
Maybe I shold try to shift the color a little bit away from green...
I soon will test a way to adapt his skincolor to the background color like a cameleon(Not justīmaking it transperent of course;)

sormann3d
09-30-2003, 11:04 PM
guido:
Its not that easy to create a rendering from the middle of the scene because its optimized for this perspective.
But soon I plan to render a rollercoaster ride ...and to buy a new computer :)

Virtuoso
09-30-2003, 11:54 PM
Love the new addition to your ever-growing World sormann at work.This new character fits in perfectly with the rest.Now I would love a private guest pass to search deep down into the inner workings of Theme Planet,now that would be a true thrill ride.I look forward to the new coaster render.Wonderful work in all aspects,keep it going,I love the vision and ambition.:applause: :beer:

Elpaco
10-03-2003, 09:03 PM
Great work...The kind of work I'm striving to achieve one day...

:applause:

I can't say one bad thing about it. It's Fantastic! Forgive me if this has already been answered but when is this project expected to be completed.

sormann3d
10-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks!
In the moment I am so busy that I dont have much time for my
private project.
But All in all I hope to be done in about 3 month or so.

lildragon
10-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Sormann bud, this project just keeps getting better and better. There's not much to crit as you have such a unique style here, but the one thing I did notice, was the lack of a texture for the gloves, it just looks brown and in comparison to the other areas of the scene that falls short. But..

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_sept03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

sormann3d
10-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Hey,Thanks for the award! :)
Will put it on my homepage soon...
I agree about the gloves...I try to apply a leather like bump map
soon.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.