PDA

View Full Version : Shading and Lighting

wickedpraise
08-08-2010, 10:32 AM
This is my first time posting and I wanted to upload some of my work and see where I can improve. These 4 images were from my Shading and Lighting Class.

I was going for a Film Noir style with this one.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/wickedpraise/Mullins_Ben_SAL_0910_FruitDish_Normal50mm.jpg

I had to learn reflections and refractions for this one.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/wickedpraise/Mullins_Ben_SAL_0910_PerfumeLighting.jpg

This one was to understand bumps and displacements.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/wickedpraise/Mullins_Ben_SAL_0910_FruitBowl.jpg

Lastly, this was for my Final for that class. Wall-E feel with modern day humor.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/wickedpraise/Mullins_Ben_SAL_Final_0910.jpg

stuh505
08-13-2010, 05:50 AM
I like the lighting and contrast on the first one a lot, and the area lighting and overall scene on the last one. The lighting is way too dark and the materials are not right (lambertian?) in the still life. The perfume bottles don't look right to me, I feel like they are missing an exterior glass material that would give white specular highlights.

wickedpraise
08-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Thank you for the reply. As for the still life, are you referring to the texture used, the shading node itself, or the overall feel? The perfume bottles are hard to nail because the double glass. I played around with the settings and I came out with this. Any improvements made?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/wickedpraise/Mullins_Ben_SAL_0910_RevisedPerfumeBottle.jpg

kelvincai
08-13-2010, 04:15 PM
What renderer and software you used? It might be easier to troubleshoot with more infos.

stuh505
08-13-2010, 06:58 PM
On the still life the colors look too muted and plain (diffuse texture), and the material /shading node appears to lack the specular highlights that a smooth shiny fruit surface should have. I'm not the best at actually making materials myself so I'm not going to tell you "the right way to do it" other than point out basic stuff like this.

As for the perfume bottles that looks better to me, but I still think there should be pure white specular reflections on the outside of the glass...if you can't pull that off with the shader you are using you could do two render passes and comp them together...

wickedpraise
08-14-2010, 02:06 PM
What renderer and software you used? It might be easier to troubleshoot with more infos.

I used Maya 2009-2010 and rendered with Mental Ray.

wickedpraise
08-14-2010, 02:23 PM
On the still life the colors look too muted and plain (diffuse texture), and the material /shading node appears to lack the specular highlights that a smooth shiny fruit surface should have. I'm not the best at actually making materials myself so I'm not going to tell you "the right way to do it" other than point out basic stuff like this.

As for the perfume bottles that looks better to me, but I still think there should be pure white specular reflections on the outside of the glass...if you can't pull that off with the shader you are using you could do two render passes and comp them together...

I see what you're saying. The focus of the piece was on the fruit itself so I wanted to have an interesting background yet not enough to distract from the center piece. For the cloth backdrop I used a suede feel with plastic strips on both sides. The bowl is supposed to be stone. The only piece of fruit that has anything more than a bump is the orange which is using a displacement map. The banana to me has a plastic/fake feel however.

Neither the perfume bottles nor the still life have specular highlights but I can take their diffuses into photoshop and change the levels to make a spec map. I also really appreciate the idea of double rendering compositing. I haven't thought of that before but I can use Maya to make me an alpha and make an alpha card and slap that on front of the bottles. Or just create a layered texture within Maya. Thanks for the advice!

stuh505
08-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Neither the perfume bottles nor the still life have specular highlights but I can take their diffuses into photoshop and change the levels to make a spec map.

You don't need a spec map to get specular reflections, you just need to use the proper type of material (eg, Phong) or adjust the settings (specular exponent and specular level) to enable specular reflection. That will get you 99% of the way there, and if you really want to get that extra last 1% then you can use a spec map, but I don't think it's really necessary on something like fruit or a perfume bottle which should have pretty much constant parameter values across its surface.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Phong_components_version_4.png

rustEdge
08-15-2010, 12:55 AM
I have a question about the perfume bottles. Are the colors coming from the glass itself, or the liquid inside? Applying fairly different settings on each could help add visual depth to the bottles, though I can't help with specific values as I use different software...

For the still life, I think you should tone down or remove the reflections on the background. It adds so much visual noise that it's hard to focus on the bowl and it dulls down the fruits. Adding a warm key light on the fruits would make them look a lot more appetizing.

I'd also add strong speculars on the cherries to make them look glossy. The rest of the fruits seem okay.

For the banana specifically, Some varieties do look plastic-like, no don't be too worried about that detail. Bananas seem to demonstrate a certain amount of subsurface scattering; bright yellow on the lit side, a little redder at the back. The green on the skin recedes to the ends of the banana as it ripens. Adding some blemishes would also help with making them look more organic.

This is a test render for the banana, just some random green and black spots. To fake the SSS I used a slightly reddish base color, and an extremely wide yellow-colored specular.

http://www.genemagtoto.com/c4d/banana-cubes.jpg

I hope it helps.

Cheers.

wickedpraise
08-15-2010, 02:40 AM
You don't need a spec map to get specular reflections, you just need to use the proper type of material (eg, Phong) or adjust the settings (specular exponent and specular level) to enable specular reflection. That will get you 99% of the way there, and if you really want to get that extra last 1% then you can use a spec map, but I don't think it's really necessary on something like fruit or a perfume bottle which should have pretty much constant parameter values across its surface.

I am currently using a blinn on all the fruit except the stems which I am using Phong E. Thats why i mentioned a spec map itself. Good call on the material change. Sometimes people just get caught up in the effects they forget a simple material change will help.
I have a question about the perfume bottles. Are the colors coming from the glass itself, or the liquid inside? Applying fairly different settings on each could help add visual depth to the bottles, though I can't help with specific values as I use different software...

For the still life, I think you should tone down or remove the reflections on the background. It adds so much visual noise that it's hard to focus on the bowl and it dulls down the fruits. Adding a warm key light on the fruits would make them look a lot more appetizing.

I'd also add strong speculars on the cherries to make them look glossy. The rest of the fruits seem okay.

For the banana specifically, Some varieties do look plastic-like, no don't be too worried about that detail. Bananas seem to demonstrate a certain amount of subsurface scattering; bright yellow on the lit side, a little redder at the back. The green on the skin recedes to the ends of the banana as it ripens. Adding some blemishes would also help with making them look more organic.

This is a test render for the banana, just some random green and black spots. To fake the SSS I used a slightly reddish base color, and an extremely wide yellow-colored specular.

Wow, impressive insight. The SSS fake sounds way better than actually bumping up my render times with it on. It seems the overall consent is to adjust the backdrop. I've learned when you ask someone and they say one thing you ask someone else and if it varies then make your own suggestion if it doesn't change it.

Thank you. For my first time I am getting back a lot of good feedback from the community besides friends and peers that just say "cool".

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2010, 02:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.