PDA

View Full Version : interior lighting techniques

WantToLearn
08-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Can someone help me learn how to light an interior space? Specifically, how do you get light to fill a room? I trying to learn how to use lights to create this effect, instead of using global illunimation or final gather. I'm trying to learn how a game developer would light an interior space. Most game engine don't have global illumination not final gather.

I can use an area light with quadratic falloff on the ceiling to cast light from above. But the floor is really dark. If you have a room devoid of natural light, and your only using light bulbs to light the space, how would you get an even light in the room?

WantToLearn
08-06-2010, 11:05 PM
And when lighting the space, how would i do it so the character doesn't walk though a light and turn really bright?

mister3d
08-06-2010, 11:17 PM
In games they bake global illumination. Faking GI makes sense only for animation.

WantToLearn
08-07-2010, 08:45 PM
There will be animated characters in the space. What do you mean,"Faking GI makes sense only for animation"?

Separate question, when you said, "In games they bake global illumination" are you saying there is a way to bake Gi to textures?

mister3d
08-07-2010, 09:44 PM
There will be animated characters in the space. What do you mean,"Faking GI makes sense only for animation"?

Separate question, when you said, "In games they bake global illumination" are you saying there is a way to bake Gi to textures?

If there will be animated cheracters, then of course you can fake Gi for interiors. There's a video "Lighting a Hallway in Maya" by Jeremy Engleman by gnomonology, it explains the technique of faking global ilumination. Just bear in mind, you can use area lights too, not just depthmap shadows. I would suggest using Gi shots af references from the same scene for adjusting GI.
You can bake GI into textures. Usually it's done simply by multiplying GI over diffuse texture, like a blending mode in photoshop. Then you can bake the lighting into the special map, which is simpler, but not used in games. The map contains so-called photons, which make up the GI. It's not a texture.

WantToLearn
08-08-2010, 08:24 PM
mister3d wrote:

You can bake GI into textures. Usually it's done simply by multiplying GI over diffuse texture, like a blending mode in photoshop. Then you can bake the lighting into the special map, which is simpler, but not used in games. The map contains so-called photons, which make up the GI. It's not a texture.

How do you do this?

mister3d
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
mister3d wrote:

How do you do this?

Search on the Internet.

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.