PDA

View Full Version : 3d displace.

stallion151
09-26-2003, 12:06 PM
hey guys,

i was just watching the Star Wars Episode 1 making of and that had a waterfall scene that never made it to final. Anyway just so happens i too am making a waterfall (shock!) and i wanted to know how he did that?

What he does for those that haven't seen it. Is he makes a 3d plane and applies a lip to the top of the plane and then magically applies a displace of the water texture to it. I am new to combustion so treat me with care please....

so if anyone knows how to do that, your help would a big time saver for me. (difference between rendering in Maya or just compositing it).

thanks.

stallion151

Oxide
09-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Don't think there is a 3d displacement thingy in Combustion...

Aruna
09-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Mm.. I was under the impression that most of the waterfalls were live action elements shot. If I remember correctly it was just salt (or was it sugar?) that they poured from a height on a black background.

Maybe we're talking about two different waterfall scenes! Do you mean the one where they fall over the edge, or the wide angle shots of the city from the sky?

boomji
09-27-2003, 09:13 PM
hi,
can yo post a screen shot if poss.
b

stallion151
09-28-2003, 04:43 AM
yeh they were salt elements i think, i am using sugar :) but what i saw was the lead compositor put it on a plane put a lip on that plane and use that salt/sugar to displace in z not just x and y.

yep it was those scenes.
i might be wrong it might be a different proggie or i might of been dreaming....but i'll try find a screen shot of it for ya fellas.

stallion151
09-28-2003, 05:11 AM
yeh sorry couldn't find any on google, i only rented a copy of SW Episode 1 but that was ages ago.

If you fellas dont know its no biggy, i guess i'll have to put up with the render times <weep> and make it in 3d. But if you do...speak up. :)

cheers

Phred42
09-29-2003, 01:12 AM
If memory serves, the guy used something in sabre (*cough*inferno*cough*) called a bicubic - possibly an extended bicubic. You can bend them around like sheets of rubber, and like all the other surfaces available (images and bilinears) in the discreet gear, they can be displaced in x, y, or z. There's a pic of one in action here:
http://www.fxguide.com/article155.html&mode=&order=0&thold=0

HTH!

stallion151
09-29-2003, 09:20 AM
ahh shoot, thanks guys for the help. guess rendering will have to do. thanks fred. :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.