PDA

View Full Version : overdimensional large scenes

thomas123
09-26-2003, 12:53 PM
our bird, made in XSI overdimensional big ...
I have already setupped a small spider (I canīt scale it anymore), and now Iīm scared of scaling the bird which has to be much bigger (in order to have the same proportions)

The Polygons are displayd very stupid and I donīt know
how to tune it, that itīs displayed "good" ... adjusting near and far planes is not enough, I think.

Does anyone has experience with overlarge scenes? Are there
also other problems?

thomas

daniforever
09-26-2003, 03:36 PM
What videocard you use?. It could be a videocard related issue not a XSI problem.

ThE_JacO
09-26-2003, 04:15 PM
clipping, when it's not because of the camera's clipping planes, is usually happening for a zoom/camera distance ratio.

without going into the details that determine precision, if you are experiencing bad Z sorting issues (clipping or compenetrating polys) try first resetting the view (R Key) if that doesn't work try to zoom out a bit (Z key) and pan closer.

lots of ppl keep using Z and zoom closer and closer on the model while they work, this is actually changing the camera lens/angle too, and closed angles with a long camera distance tend to put a lot of strain on the openGL Sorting.

zooming out and panning in sometimes helps.

thomas123
09-26-2003, 05:26 PM
thanks for your replies.

@ThE_jacO:
I tried these things, but itīs still here. Perhaps itīs because of my videocard. But as there are no bad experience from you about extralarge scenes, I think I will now start setuping the bird (in a very large size)

ThE_JacO
09-26-2003, 06:42 PM
what do you exactly mean with big anyway ? are we speaking thousands of units ?
and what videocard ?

thomas123
09-26-2003, 07:06 PM
I donīt know it exactly in units, but the "small spider" is so big, that the grid isnīt visible anymore, if I see the whole spider - with usual adjustments. And so the bird and room has to be even much bigger ... this is something where I (and expecially my teampartner) are worrying about. (the bird has feathers and a complicated setup ...)
I only have a bad feeling, that in some weeks, when we are animating, Iīve invested much time in it, and there are even some stupid problems...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.