PDA

View Full Version : Carrara Modelling

MajinPaul
08-05-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm considering using Carrara for modelling and animating until I can afford better software, can anyone tell me how the modelling is compared to programs like Cinema 4d or 3D Max?

caricature
08-07-2010, 08:31 AM
I am like you but I made professional just by using Carrara aided with other free application such as Blender- for UV mapping, TrueSpace for multi-parts object tweaking (transparency modeling) and Initial UV stretch test using morph.

Picture speaks louder than words, view my portfolio at: http://www.1catalogue.com/portfolio.htm

Carrara's modeler display is unpleasant though the features is adequate and you can substitute it with Hexagon, free if you buy the DAZ book with Carrara-6pro but I recommend upgrade to 7pro to enjoy the up to dated functions.

All my commercial work is now rendered in Carrara-7pro, you don't see much real work in their gallery because most of them are hobbyist and don't let their forum put you off with rant posts. Listen to the professional not the casual 3D hobbyist.

MajinPaul
08-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks! This is good to know since it means I can get back to modelling and animating instead of finding a way to afford Max asap.

pauljs75
08-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Carrara is a good software in it's price range. However the modeling room is one of the weaker areas of the program. It works ok, but some things like selection options and transitions are pretty "meh". They crimp workflow if you want to belt something out fast. The strengths of Carrara are in it's staging, shaders/mats, and rendering options. In those areas it shines and makes it a worthy 3D app.

Instead of using Carrara's modeler I'd suggest Wings3D if not Hexagon or Silo as a complementary software. If you stick to .obj format, you should have no problems importing. When starting out, make sure to try out different configurations of export and import options on both the external modeler and Carrara. It's because they do make major differences in how a mesh behaves in Carrara. (It makes the difference between having one big "solid" contiguous mesh, or a whole bunch of individual pieces and how the model breaks down. All useful in their own way.)

Modo or Mudbox would also be good modelers, but if you could afford those - it's likely you would be dealing with Maya or Max. (Although I still wouldn't rule out Carrara for beginners that can afford the big guns, it's drag n' drop UI approach and default render settings means it's possible to get nice results with much less learning time. Some may argue that actually spoils people. Still it seems broad enough for many pro tasks, but likely falls short on the commercial side in regards to scripting and renderfarms. Daz supposedly is working on that, but all the big names have a 10 mile head start.)

Blender could also work for modeling, but it's not going to be that easy. (And it's a bit heavy if you just need a modeler. It's a complete 3D suite application in its own right. If you can actually figure it out, you may not even need Carrara.) I find other modelers with a simpler UI are a better fit for keeping focus on task. (But who knows, maybe the newer version has fixed that? Give it a shot at least. I know it's a capable program, but for some people it's a bit too pieced together or convoluted feeling to really click. At least that was my experience the last time I used it.)

Calabi
08-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I have Carrara and I use Wings3d, Silo and 3DCoat for my modelling. Most subd I do in Wings3d, no other software can beat the vectors, snapping, and the right click menu.

MajinPaul
08-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I noticed that modelling isn't as good in Carrara, I'm not able to afford Autodesk products at the moment which is why I'm looking at other programs. So Hexagon is a good modelling program? I have that program.

Do you happen to know how expensive Blender is? I might try it out.

caricature
08-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Blender is free, however, it is quite difficult to change the way you use your mouse and scene take a while to get used to, I don't recommend at the beginning.

Hexagon is better then Carrara but not the cut polygon tool if you edit model with UV map "texture" intact, I only do deformation with it.

trueSpace is free and I do most of my modeling and editing there, though a bit awkward to switch windows, WorkSpace "New" and Modeler "old" interface to import & export, render.

My advise is; trueSpace for modeling, Hexagon for deformation and Carrara for animation & rendering. To a beginner, you want to reduce hassle while learning and cost effective.

I shall upgrade to modo next :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2010, 02:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.