PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Occlusion map and 3DS Max Question

spencerneal
08-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Fellow Artists,

I have no problem generating an Ambiant Occlusion map either in Max, Crazy Bump or Shader Map Pro. My questions is what do I do with the Ambient Occlusion map once I have created? Is there a slot that it goes in 3DS Max? There are many tutorials on how to create the maps, but very few regarding what to do after you have created it. Any ideas?

Spencer

Psyk0
08-05-2010, 10:53 PM
It should be used in your texture, in a layer above your base color set to multiply in photoshop. So this means you can load it in the diffuse slot in max, but your object will have no color only baked AO. Some real time shaders allow you to use the AO in a dedicated slot and change color and a whole bunch of properties.

catche
08-06-2010, 03:21 AM
That surely depends from where you rendered it - what it is meant to be for. If it's rendered through a camera which you've used to render a normal image (with light, shadows, textures - everything) then what's normal is to add it as a new layer on top of the normal render in photoshop/after effects/any other compositor and put it to multiply. Usually this gives a wrong effect, you get ao places there should not be, so you have to mask out/erase it there.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
I re-read your post and it seems you mean a 2D-ao, so yeah what was said above is right

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2010, 03:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.