PDA

View Full Version : Model crumpled ball of paper?

Dragons0088
08-05-2010, 04:35 AM
Hey guys, I'm working on a proejct at school where i need to model a crumpled piece of paper and have it grow legs and walk away like a crab. I'm having difficulty modeling the piece of paper. I'm not sure how to tackle it. I'm using maya and I've tried several things. I started with a sphere and used the paint geometry tool to kind of scribble random deformations on to it but then it just looked like a rock. I also tried doing a cloth simulation to get it but the geometry kept intersecting itself and it didnt achieve the right look. Perhaps I'm doing the simulation wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Luke

SicariusMortus
08-05-2010, 09:02 AM
There should be a tool in Maya that adds fractal noise to the surface of the sphere.. should give you good results.. otherwise just model the whole thing by hand?

joryayer
08-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Create a sphere
Then create the plane
Place the plane above the sphere
On the Plane, extrude edges, adjust vertices on x,y,z to reach desired effect (wrapping around the sphere if you want the spherical Idea)

I'd say that's the easiest manual route.

sundialsvc4
08-09-2010, 02:43 AM
I would begin by modeling "the crab." It has to be a single mesh, with an armature to move it as it scuttles off the screen.

It will appear to be "made of a single piece of paper" because an appropriate image has been UV-mapped onto the various planes of the mesh. (You only need to worry about the planes that will be visible, and the mapping is only "tricky" where large areas of text are visible.)

Once you have the crab, you need to "crumple it." Subdivide some of the planes so that they can fold further. Turn off the influence of the armature and manually adjust the shape, marking several key positions up to "fully crumpled."

The object flips through the shapes leading from "crumpled" to "crab," then the armature is turned-on and do the rest of the sequence using it.

It will be important to bevel the edges. Use a modifier for this.

Doomc
08-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you do this in maya dynamics with a turbulence field?

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2010, 06:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.