PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Wont render 4k textures

bertjenkins
08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi

I'd really appreciate some help if anyone has had this problem. Its pretty important.
I have a file that renders fine on my machine, using 4k textures as (tga images) in mental ray. I'm using optimised textures in the render prefs. I have copied my project onto a drive and exported the scene files and support files. When another user opens up my project, he hits batch render and gets 'render completed' without a frame rendered. He's tried rendering using renderq also and no luck. I'm running out of ideas here, he's checked all the textures in hypershade and they all link up. Console / mayarenderlog give us no more info. Just render completed. Occasionally I've had this before and the same texture, when given a different name or in a different folder, renders ok, but other times doesn't. Does anyone have any pointers?

atarigraffx
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
i have the exact same problem actually :curious:

bertjenkins
08-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Now that there are two of us, can anyone help?

berniebernie
08-05-2010, 12:18 AM
does your ram spike when you hit render ?

are you sure it's not a file naming problem ?

is the optimize texture thingy in the prefs the same as doing a pyramidal .map file ? (which are huge in size but are used more efficiently by mr?)

how many textures do you have ?

have you tried changing the format ? to png/iff ?

bertjenkins
08-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for replying...much appreciated! In answer...

not sure about the ram i'll check with the person rendering. But I'm assuming it doesn't even get to that stage. Just jumps straight to rendering completed.

The thing about the file naming is that it renders fine on my machine. Exactly the same files render fine on my machine but don't work on another machine (in another country!) However the textures are on an external drive, could it be that it refuses to link to a file on the external, or that it is looking for a file or cache on my machine? Is there a way to export a scene and all the supporting files required, like in after effects-collect files?

is the optimize texture thingy in the prefs the same as doing a pyramidal .map file ? (which are huge in size but are used more efficiently by mr?)

yup the optimsed texture option just creates a mip file (or whatever it needs) without having to write a script

in each scene there are about 3 file textures but only one that's really needed

no but i'll try, thanks...

We have got some files to work, i'm wondering if it could be a MR licensing problem...maybe those scene files use a different version of mental ray? eg Would the hotfix 3 version not work on the original version?

atarigraffx
08-05-2010, 06:37 PM

1. Ram does spike up, even on a fully loaded Mac Pro with 16 virtual cores and 16 gigs of ram.
funny thing is when i set the frames lower, it will go through sometimes

2. dont think it has to do with naming but it may, not sure how what to look for or solve it.
all the project folders are set and render layer are appropriately named though

3. good question. i just noticed that tab after you mentioned it. i would like to know exactly what its used for and how i can use it to benefit my mr renders

4. the same thing happend to a huge scene with dozens of textures and a scene with one piece of geometry on a separate render layer with 4 textures plugged into 1 shader

5. in my case im already using 4k iffs, i thought about changing them to a different file type but the iffs render fine on certain computers but one others. even more powerful ones, it just does says batch render complete in the script editor after 2 seconds with nothing rendered

bertjenkins
08-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Its v useful to use optimised textures...it creates a .map file so that MR can choose what it needs to render (rather than rendering the entire image every time) and helps with memory allocation...although it doesn't seem to speed up renders. Previously you had to use imf_copy to do this which was a pain in the butt.

I'm getting the same thing with the 4k textures, although now it seems that any format, file size, resolution etc is giving us the same thing. render completed. I even deleted all the file texures and used just simple lamberts, and it still did it, which is telling me it's got something to do with light maps/ depth maps or something else, something which is linking back to a local file on my machine. All the scenes render fine on my machine.

We are getting

// Maya exited with status 210

which i'm pretty sure has something to do with file naming/linking, although after you've completely restructured all the links, replaced the camera, deleted all the file textures, saved the scene with a different name, i'm wondering what else i can do...

also it seems to render ok in the render window, so the links are obviously working.

fezz
08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Are you using mental ray textures? Lightmaps with SSS shaders usually can cause this error if they're saved locally.

bertjenkins
08-06-2010, 12:13 AM
just two maya lambert shaders with my scene. i've archived the scene to a zip file so i'm assuming that should cover all linked files required for the scene? the damn thing just refuses to render.

the only detailed verbosity errors i can see seem to be

Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : group :MayaTranslatedWorld: instance
Error: The renderer mentalRay is not registered yet.

however some MR scenes render and some dont, so i can't see it can be a licensing issue?
the remote machine now has hotfix 3 installed, so its the same as my machine and both machines are 2011 64 bit OSX.

InfernalDarkness
08-06-2010, 05:04 AM
The thing about the file naming is that it renders fine on my machine. Exactly the same files render fine on my machine but don't work on another machine (in another country!) However the textures are on an external drive, could it be that it refuses to link to a file on the external, or that it is looking for a file or cache on my machine? Is there a way to export a scene and all the supporting files required, like in after effects-collect files?

USB or SATA? What type of external are you using?

You do NOT want to be using external USB 2.0 or earlier drives for rendering. You need to have them copy it to their local machine and test it, should this problem happen again.

USB is cool and all, but it still sucks. Also, Windows interface with USB is poor. Macs may have a better interface (software), not sure, but I would certainly hope so. Aside from the speed issue (USB would be a HUGE bottleneck in rendering), Windows doesn't always play well with USB drives. I could list dozens or hundreds of experiences of odd behavior, poor behavior, failure, or crashes as a result of shoddy USB interfacing.

Please find a computer with the symptom, copy all the files locally, and test to see if it works then? And of course, let us know either way? I would love to be wrong on this one, my friend.

berniebernie
08-06-2010, 11:55 AM
it looks to me as the usual memory hog

try using map files (I honestly don't know what the optimize texture does, I htink it creates maps)

anyhow; http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=194935

or by hand this is what I use, if you're on windows

REM this is convert.bat, place it in your system32 folder
REM then go to your image folder and call it like this
REM "convert png"
FOR /f "tokens=*" %%G IN ('dir *.%1 /x /b') DO (
imf_copy -p "%%G" "%%G.map"
)
GOTO :EOF

more memory problems: http://whetstonevfx.com/blog/?p=41

bertjenkins
08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks for that.

No he's already copied over locally. When i mentioned external drive i just meant that all the assets etc had been rendered on another machine.

So far i believe duplicating the camera and rendering it from the new one has solved the problem. I've had these issues before and it just seems to be really inconsistent, the file renders fine on one machine, and on another machine a camera is 'corrupted', nothing useful from the render log (error: The renderer MentalRay is not registered yet. //Maya exited with status 210).

To be honest i can't wait to get vray up and running, mental ray just seems to be a world of pain!

bertjenkins
08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks BernieBernie

If you click use optimised textures it creates the map files for you in the sourceimages/cache folder

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.