PDA

View Full Version : Joint Compensation Morphing

Rory_L
08-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Can anyone help me with setting up joint morphing in Maya? When I create a blendshape, in the Advanced tab I set the deformation order to Parallel, as this is the only option that allows the joint to have any influence on the mesh.

If I drive this morph with the rotation of the joint all appears well. However, if I adjust the position of the morph-influenced part of the mesh with any other joint, or indeed a different channel of the same joint I get unwanted deformation. I want the morph to be 'glued' to the driver joint, but it seems almost like it is operating in world space, though of course I have the blendshape Origin set to Local.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rory

Rory_L
08-06-2010, 12:52 PM
After further reading around the subject I get the distinct impression that BlendShapes are inherently faulty and that Michael Comet's poseDeformer (www.djx.com.au/blog/downloads/)is the way to go for joint comp morphing solutions. Can anyone tell me I'm wrong and show me how to do this natively in Maya?

Thanks in advance,

Rory

djx
08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
The reason the poseDeformer is popular is that it solves some problems that are difficult (though not impossible) to do with maya's native tools. There are 2 parts to the problem.

First you need a way to "read" the pose. Often using a simple joint rotation is not enough. A shoulder joint, for example, can rotate in all three axes in different combinations, yet still achieve the same pose, so a corrective shape based on only one of these possible combinations would not always work. You could set up a system using native maya nodes but it would not be pretty when comapred to something as simple as comets poseReader.

Second, you need a way to sculpt the blendShapes in "pose space". To do that in maya you have to reverse engineer the shape in the problem pose to get something that you can apply to the neutral pose. This is tricky too using maya native methods, but very easy with the poseDeformer plugin where you can sculpt correctional shapes in the problem poses as you need them using all of maya's tools, and have them automatically converted to poseSpace.

If you can get hold of a version for the OS you use, then go with comet's plugin.

David

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.