PDA

View Full Version : Mecha Pussy 2010

Nothingness
08-03-2010, 03:11 PM
**UPDATE**: made a new link. So file is back for download. Password still the samen.

Ok,
time to finish this for my part.

Download the file here (http://users.edpnet.be/nothingness/mecha_cat.zip) and the passphrase for it is "mecha.pussy.2010" without the ( "" ) quotes.

A note for the file itself:

1// It's only OBJ so everybody kinda has the same file and data (not that it matters without a real challenge.
2// There are a few marked degrees and most of them should be negative. You'll figure it out.
3// the other things should be clear.
4// naming is already done so you can start directly with grouping it all.
5// haven't done anything else with the feet.
6// I guess the neck will be one heck of a trouble maker.

enjoy... i hope!

post questions here.

Nico

DanHaffner
08-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Few questions about the file:

-What were or are you planing to do with the feet? Should we reference the file in so when you make changes the file will update or are you calling the model done and as it is, is how it's going to stay?
-Can we demo the rig on a demo reel if we credit you as the modeler?
-Is the mesh intended to be smoothed at some point, do you have the edges for that or is the res it's at now the res you intended it to be? All I did was I softened the normals and the model looks gorgeous, why I asked. But it also looks amazing smoothed.
-Are we allowed to give the model to a texture artist, or texture it ourselves, to have it fully textured?

Also, amazing work, job well done.

Nothingness
08-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Basically,

If i wanted to finish this model, i would have probably started all over again. (i'm not really happy with the end but that's because i learned a lot while doing this model)

It doesn't had any smoothing because the file was much lighter this way. You can smooth it completely. It's 100% quads and smoothable like sub-D.

The model does not have UV's cause it's not intended to be textured or used for rendering purpose. It's purely for rigging purposed and can be shown as demoreel (with credits to the modeler)

Allthough it's hard to maintain, i'd rather have the model not uploaded to other locations or distributed in another fashion.

About the feet: i was kinda so sick with the model that i just didn't had the nerve of working on it (as i haven't been doing 3d for a little while now)
When checking the model, i thought that the problem would be that the toes has to be lifted so that the connection between the toes was contacting the ground.

Since it's not a contest, feel free to do some small changes to the model.
Big changes or using some parts in an own creation to make something new in your own name won't put you on my 'good'-list.

For any other special use you could ask via pm through this thread.

I hope you can enjoy the model. Let's hope next time can become a real challenge.

Cheers

giordi
08-04-2010, 11:21 AM
thank u so much for sharing this model, if i ant can i render and animate it for my reel ? (obiovusly with credits )

Nothingness
08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
for sure. Enjoy

spurcell
08-05-2010, 03:21 PM
thanks! currently checking it out. whats the degree objects for? Are they intended to indicate limit of rotation?

Nothingness
08-05-2010, 03:30 PM
it's the angle to get it in place.
If you bend the neck elements they will end up in place at the head.

Same for the spine

Pranaw
08-05-2010, 07:01 PM
lots of thanks 4 sharing....... :beer:
gr8 work..... the model rocks :buttrock:

sdeschenes
08-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I have started to rig this wonderful thing today...

It is my fourth complete rig ever and I am not used to rig mechanical things.
I mostly rigged humans and quadrupeds.

I find this rig pretty interesting to do.
Instead of skinning the model and making tons of blendshapes, I actually have to think about how every little parts must be behaving together.

This rig is far more technical (and has a lot more features) than a standard humanoid.
When I will finish it, I will credit you for it.

Thank you so much for the model!

Simon Deschenes

Nothingness
08-07-2010, 03:13 PM
looking forward to it.

giordi
08-07-2010, 04:35 PM
you should show us what are you doing , i have a question why did you pt everthing in neutral position? i mean all the pistons out straight neck etc?

blendtwoattr
08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Hello

Excellent Work Thanks ........

When we will get the final version of Cat ........

And I'm in for Cat ......Challenging Stuff !!

Pranaw
08-08-2010, 02:38 PM
hi guys i have started the rigging and faced some problems :sad:
i couldnt understand the legs....i have done all the fk set up making all the parts movable but now on top of the fk i am trying to put the ik handle and im not getting the proper behavior in the hip area.... (i think i have to change the model a little bit in the shoulder area) or if any body have any idea or suggestions about it, or gone thru this issue.....plz help me :banghead:

sorry to bother but the problem all fixed.... :)
:lightbulb actually i just added some polytorus in the shoulder area and re rigged the arm from a little bit upper part, adding one more joint in between the chain. :applause:

Nothingness
08-08-2010, 10:02 PM
you should show us what are you doing , i have a question why did you pt everthing in neutral position? i mean all the pistons out straight neck etc?

To make it easy for me in the modeling progress. I rotated them but kept that information. When finalizing the model in obj and not loosing lots of rotation info. Why would i make it any harder than it is.

giordi
08-09-2010, 08:02 AM
well because now the rigger has to rotate it whitout the opportuniti to put the bone , if it was already in position i could put bones in it , now i have to roate the geometries with a locator or similar befor but the bones

Nothingness
08-09-2010, 12:49 PM
then call it more challenging ;)

Pranaw
08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
hello friends..... can any body tell me what the last 20 deg arrow in the spine means. i couldnt figr out whether its suppose to rotate downwards or upwards or side ways.....or should i say i couldnt find its right position to sync with hip geometry. :cry:

Nothingness
08-09-2010, 11:37 PM
The first X rotate has to go upwards 30°.
All the others then have to go down 10°
And the very final one has to go down 20° and then it should be fine.

DanHaffner
08-17-2010, 06:56 PM
well because now the rigger has to rotate it whitout the opportuniti to put the bone , if it was already in position i could put bones in it , now i have to roate the geometries with a locator or similar befor but the bones

I am actually grateful for him putting everything in a vertical or horizontal pose, now when we rotated the pieces to be where they need to be, we have the rotation information. He could of posed it, then froze all the transforms and then it would of really been a huge pita to do.

But yea, the spine has me all confused on what is supposed to rotate where.

eyeayen
08-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Firstly I'd like to thank Nico for taking the time and considerable effort to make this model and distribute it to us :beer:

Secondly how about Nico for mod of this forum ? Seeing how much time he's put into this already or perhaps a new mod ? I post images to try and help with this challenge 14 months ago and the thread had a reasonable amount of interest. I just think it's a shame not to have a mod and a shame not to have an 'official challenge'. Perhaps if Todd no longer has time to be the mod he should hand it over to someone else ? No offence as I know life often comes along but it would be nice to see this area of the forum active again... :hmm:

Again Nico, thanks for making the effort and supplying us with the model :bowdown:

DanHaffner
08-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Has anyone done any work on the front legs? I'd like to see how some of you are setting up the middle section. I have spent about an hour trying to figure out what is supposed to be attached to what. Right now all I got is the pistons on the sides working, but I have no idea how all the stuff in the middle is supposed to slide on the rails, so I'm curious to see what others have done with this section.

T4D
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
any chance of a mirror ,.. rapid is not working for me ... :sad:

Nothingness
08-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Firstly I'd like to thank Nico for taking the time and considerable effort to make this model and distribute it to us :beer:

Secondly how about Nico for mod of this forum ? Seeing how much time he's put into this already or perhaps a new mod ? I post images to try and help with this challenge 14 months ago and the thread had a reasonable amount of interest. I just think it's a shame not to have a mod and a shame not to have an 'official challenge'. Perhaps if Todd no longer has time to be the mod he should hand it over to someone else ? No offence as I know life often comes along but it would be nice to see this area of the forum active again... :hmm:

Again Nico, thanks for making the effort and supplying us with the model :bowdown:

No probs!
And the mod should be at least someone that's a TD. It's just too bad Todd doesn't seem to have any time.

any chance of a mirror ,.. rapid is not working for me ...

Why doesn't it work and what happens?

KohnarForever
08-24-2010, 07:38 PM
I tried to open the zip file on a Mac computer and it is giving me errors in opening it because it won't let me put the password in. Anyone know how to open it on a Mac?

eyeayen
08-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I tried to open the zip file on a Mac computer and it is giving me errors in opening it because it won't let me put the password in. Anyone know how to open it on a Mac?

Yeah no trouble. Don't double click the icon that you get, as it does what you've said. Instead drag and drop it to your software of choice, in my case 'Stuffit Expander', this throws up a dialog box and you then enter the password. Once that done it extracts to your locations as an .obj :applause:

Nothingness
08-24-2010, 10:49 PM

i work on a mac, so it's zipped on a mac.

just select the file, and - if you don't have stuffit installed - press Command + O
if you have stuffit just select it and press Command + U (if i'm not mistaken).

Pranaw
08-26-2010, 06:41 AM
i have done some simple ik rig with some controls over to the shoulder and the wheel. The leg is basically noflip ik handle rig. First of all, i placed locators for each piece of geometry so that i can get it transformed from its pivot. then i created bones to drive the locators and added the rpik to the bones.
i have simple fk rotation controllers to the shoulders.........im not happy with that but its gonna be that way till i figureout another way. i have added some new geometries in shoulder to cover some of the invalid movements.
i have done simple setdriven keys to transform the wheel to the base of the foot. the wheel can be rotated in three different ways, it can be linked with the TRS controllers or timeline with FK controller on top.

hoping for lots of suggestions.........

http://vimeo.com/14431174

nottoshabi
09-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Can't open zip file. Winrar says the file is damaged or unknown format.

eyeayen
09-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey nottoshabi, at a guess I'd say you need to key the password in to unlock the file ?

nottoshabi
09-26-2010, 03:33 AM
How do I do that? It does not ask me for a password. Extract here option and open, just gives me an error.

Nothingness
09-26-2010, 03:51 PM
have you tried redownloading it with another browser ?

EDIT: Just tried to download it myself and it works just fine. It might not be as smooth as it should as a free user of rapidshare. I got downed atm around 282 times.

If it keeps getting you problems, i might send you private link to a personal server. But this will be only used for when you just absolutely can't get it downed.

cheers

eyeayen
09-26-2010, 07:06 PM
How do I do that? It does not ask me for a password. Extract here option and open, just gives me an error.

Sorry don't know what's going on there. The original file I downloaded works fine on both my mac and PC. On the PC you double click the icon, it asks for the password, type it in and it extracts... :shrug:

nottoshabi
09-27-2010, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. It works now I got it. I had to open it in Internet Explorer. And I use Chrome. Thanks again guys.

Hate to be a pest again. I rotate all the parts that you said in the file and I came up wit this. I don't think its right. I also had to rotate the engine compartment. Other wise the start piece of the spine would sit in the middle of the gas tank. I have uploaded a pic.

Do you by any chance have an end result pic, of what it should like? Maybe we can go by that and set the final pose for it.

http://my.picresize.com/MS1ESF3NP0/3PT87WD1X0D6SV63ZEYW .

Nothingness
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
that first part shouldn't be rotated. As it seems, you also got the tank rotated and this isn't the intention.

What i might not have mentioned, is that the different pieces should be parented so that the next hinges get the rotation inherited from the former hinge.
Have a look at the rendered image to see how it should look. The back and neck should be bended. I used very clean rotation numbers so it's easier to match it with bones.

good luck

LawOfOne
10-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Hello,
nice model. I smoothed it and added a mentalray shader for some color/texture: mib_car_paint_phen. I loaded the obj in Maya 2011 x64 Windows 7 and it loaded fine, mo errors. The mentalray renderer ignores the degree numbers, not sure if you modeled it that way on purpose or not, but it works for me.

Thanks again, i'm still checking it out.

http://www.flyingpyramidstudios.org/web/mecha_pussy2.jpeg

DanHaffner
10-02-2010, 04:45 AM
that first part shouldn't be rotated. As it seems, you also got the tank rotated and this isn't the intention.

What i might not have mentioned, is that the different pieces should be parented so that the next hinges get the rotation inherited from the former hinge.
Have a look at the rendered image to see how it should look. The back and neck should be bended. I used very clean rotation numbers so it's easier to match it with bones.

good luck

I have one leg done and working nicely, I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am that you took the time to put everything at a default pose so when rotating it to line up I get the exact rotations I need. I should of had this rig done a long time ago, but I been working on other projects as well. Hopefully I will have it done soon and a demo up.

Nothingness
10-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Hello,
nice model. I smoothed it and added a mentalray shader for some color/texture: mib_car_paint_phen. I loaded the obj in Maya 2011 x64 Windows 7 and it loaded fine, mo errors. The mentalray renderer ignores the degree numbers, not sure if you modeled it that way on purpose or not, but it works for me.

Thanks again, i'm still checking it out.

Can't say i did anything special with the degrees. They are just flat planes not optimised for smoothing. Once you got the angles set up, those meshed should be deleted.

I have one leg done and working nicely, I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am that you took the time to put everything at a default pose so when rotating it to line up I get the exact rotations I need. I should of had this rig done a long time ago, but I been working on other projects as well. Hopefully I will have it done soon and a demo up.

no probs.
Can't wait to start and see some rigged versions moving all over the place.

pazrot
10-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi,
thanks for uploading your model. I started rigging it in my spare time, so it will take some time before i can post any results.
Regarding the spine I also have a question. I could not find the objects + pivot of the first 30degree. Instead I rotated the first group, which is supposed to be rotated 10deg "down", 20deg in the opposite direction. To make it clear I added a picture:
- the red objects did not get rotated
- the yellow group got 20deg rotated "up"
- the blue groups got rotated 10deg "down"
- the green object got rotated 20deg "up"

Since the end (at hip) matched perfectly I wonder if this is the right method? The red parts do not seem to be at the right position, with all the intersection, or is it meant to be like that?
Thanks again for sharing your model.

shalabology
10-07-2010, 05:14 PM
i came so late i guess so i dont have the chance even to download the model would u mind reuploading ? i want to be introduced to that challenge and i think i m not newbie at all

shcmack
10-09-2010, 04:11 AM
i came so late i guess so i dont have the chance even to download the model would u mind reuploading ? i want to be introduced to that challenge and i think i m not newbie at all
The link works fine. It redirects you to a rapidshare site, just click the "Slow Download" button.

shalabology
10-09-2010, 10:09 AM
believe me idid so but invain having hard times trying to download it

i even channged the machine i mm using but something wrong

Nothingness
10-24-2010, 08:33 PM
been a little abcent lately. Here i'm back!

Since the end (at hip) matched perfectly I wonder if this is the right method? The red parts do not seem to be at the right position, with all the intersection, or is it meant to be like that?
Thanks again for sharing your model.

The red part should be intersected with the frame. I was too lazy to make it one mesh. I think you got it right.

believe me idid so but invain having hard times trying to download it

i even channged the machine i mm using but something wrong

Still having problems?

shalabology
10-27-2010, 10:52 AM
yes i do have , i dont have premium account and it works bad for free user here , if u please would u alternatively upload it on another site>?

Kaleidoscope
11-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Amazing model, thank you so much for sharing! I'll try and rig this during christmas break. :)

nemeru
12-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey, thanks for the model, it looks like it took quite a bit of time. good job.

i myself hate ppl that just criticize, i however can't stress enough, how i think freezing transforms on geometry is such a bad practice ^^ you practically just handed incomplete model to the riggers (those pistons going nowhere, having to connect them ourselves, etc) :P

with that in mind, i can't wrap my head around DanHaffner's post "I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am that you took the time to put everything at a default pose so when rotating it to line up I get the exact rotations I need."
heh...

will have a look at it tho.

SGJohnMcClane2k8
12-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Awesome model, it has a lot of details and movable parts.

It will take some time but I'm going to rig it.

Congrats on the model!

Caboose0
02-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Awesome model, the parts being set to nice 90 degree angles instead of frozen out is great. If anyone is having trouble with them, you can use an aim constraint to easily get them pointing in the right direction and working. I'm definitely going to be working on this in my spare time.

yarbait
08-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Does anyone know if this is OK to use in a demoreel (rigging) provided I give credit where credits due?

Normally I would just send a PM asking but it wont let me for reason.

shcmack
08-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know if this is OK to use in a demoreel (rigging) provided I give credit where credits due?

Normally I would just send a PM asking but it wont let me for reason.

Look at the first page:
It's purely for rigging purposed and can be shown as demoreel (with credits to the modeler)

James-Arlyle
11-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Hello, I downloaded the model a long time ago and have been sitting on it, waiting for a chance to open up when I could rig it.

Well, the chance finally came. Here's what I have so far. (http://vimeo.com/32276935)

I'd say it's about 80% done right now. I've still got to finish up the pistons, the springs and sort out a few issues with the rig; but there's enough finished that people can start having fun with it.

I just did a quick walk cycle to see how everything's working.

Thanks again to Nico for the excellent model. I had a lot of fun working with it.

Nothingness
11-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Allready looking really cool. Fun to see it actually move for the first time. Really puts some life in it.
Curious to see how wel the model can move.

cheers

Nothingness
08-23-2012, 02:22 AM
Just posting something to keep this thread alive.
Hope to see some new stuff up here.

SDFP
08-31-2012, 07:30 AM
the download link seems to be dead. care to re-upload? this looks like fun

Nothingness
08-31-2012, 04:04 PM
the download link seems to be dead. care to re-upload? this looks like fun

fixed the link to a new location.
Have fun. Let us know what you made of it.

cheers

shcmack
09-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for keeping the thread alive Nico :)

I'm done with the rigging, here's a little animation I did to test the rig:
Link to video (https://vimeo.com/48878670)

I'll post the rig-demonstration/breakdown in a few days.

shcmack
10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
It took a bit longer than a few days, but here's the rig-presentation:
https://vimeo.com/51740519

Nothingness
10-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Sorry didn't post earlier Jørn-Harald !

lost sight of it.
Posted a reply on vimeo and love the rig presentation.

I hope i get around of continuing my work on the new macha. This one will be a bad boy. This motorcycle-gang-member-styled figure will be a combination of a dobberman, werewolf, custom chopper and some human organs. It will have more mechanical muscles to add organic rigging (or simulation).

I'll post updates here if i have them.

cheers

-N

giordi
10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
wooooooooh! sounds amazing

Andrewty07
10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Incredible work between Nico Strobbe and Jørn-Harald Paulsen as an animator I am drooling at the level of control your rig allows while still providing realistic movement in the most minute details of the model.

Nothingness
10-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Incredible work between Nico Strobbe and Jørn-Harald Paulsen as an animator I am drooling at the level of control your rig allows while still providing realistic movement in the most minute details of the model.

It's not really a collaborative work where the rigger has input into the modelling due to rig-issues of possibilities. I just did a model and all riggers have to make the best of it.

I wouldn't mind if one of the rigs got available here - or another thread in the animation section - so animators can make it come to life.
As long as everybody get's credited correctly.

Keredith
11-02-2012, 10:14 AM
I might be a little late in on this rig. But damn after seing all the amazing work, i want to start working on it as well it seems like alot of fun and I find riging mechanical stuff is alot mor fun that organics. Justnbecause of att the tiny little bits that can move and what not :)

Thx for sharing!!!

TekniX
11-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi Nico,

this is an fantastic model, and I also want to start rigging it - although it is quite late :) .

Keep you posted !

Greetings

Teknix

Nothingness
11-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Doesn't matter how late it is.
It's not really a competition anyways.

just go with it and have fun.

TekniX
11-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Hehe good to hear :) thanks ! I already started, grouping and setting pivots for like 4 hours now, I guess theres another 4 hours in there - at least :).
Very cool model ! Did you do the concept yourself? Did you sketch a lot of it? Or was it more a start with a rough idea and then adding detail later on? I always find it hard to add so much detail if I dont plan it in from the beginning.. But then, sketching details like that is madness.. :shrug:

Greetings

Nothingness
11-04-2012, 04:51 PM
It's completely my design. Can't say i'm still happy with it. So that's why i wanted to do another one. Only this time do some sketching. Not like this one where i did some basic blocking of the shapes and try to find ways of how things could move.

But because i try to make it all work on seem to be able to work, i lose vision of the whole thing and it looks more like an animal made from mechanical parts, rather than a mechanical animal. There's a difference. this way i also lost sight of the design as a whole too. The head and upper body/tank was pretty slick. But then the other things like the legs have less design and too much function.

In FX movies you'll see much more complex things that move, but it's so complex you can't even check if it would be technically possible. In 99% of the cases it just won't. That's why real life robotics doesn't even come close to the ones in the movie.

With the next one, i try to combine the 2 worlds. But that takes way too much time, and you start to work more like some industrial designer rather than an artist.
I spend more time doing concepts, and using my brains on making interesting shapes possible in one way or another. So when you find a cool solution to a technical movement, i then try to find an artistic shape to hold that technicality. A mix between simplicity, technicality and believability.
One of the bigger struggles is to make sure the whole thing is free enough to move around. It's easy to design a cool robot, but most of them can't even scratch their ass. Much like extreme exaggerated body-builders.

Then again, i'm pretty possessed by the technical part of things, due to spending a lot of time with my father in the garage. I already spend a lot of time taking machinery apart.

So hope i get my new stylus soon, so i can continue designing the damn thing. Then i can start showing stuff. But not sure how soon that could be. Got a full-time job, restoring my bmw k100rs (was completely taken apart), the current cgchallenge (first time painting something for a change) and trying to build soms CNC machinery. I even hope i can then make a real life model of the new mecha. One that can be posed. Would be sweet.

anyways, dreaming along.

TekniX
11-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Nico,

well I think that from an artists point of view the model is pretty good, the degree of complexity is high enough to make you "woo..." for a sec, the overall design is quite nice and the only thing, that does not fit quite to well, are the weels, the design suggested to me some sort of "steampunk/antique" origin - probably because of the twisted rims - while the rest of the machine is quite "modern" i'd say. So the wheels where the first item to get on my permanent hide list ;) .
I have to agree on what you said about the tank vs. legs, the legs indeed have loads of functionality and maybe - haven't finished rigging yet, so can't say - some of it would not even be needed. The design of the tank could have found its counterpart in some roundish "protectors" for the legs - these could as well have hidden some of the more complex functional parts.
I am currently rigging the shoulders and the double hinge/bridge from shoulder to leg is ... well.. doing it for me right now. But slowly and after several hours of do, undo, I am starting to think the legs are getting somewhere.
Nice bike btw, I have a Honda Transalp from 1996 but the most I took it apart was down to the engine in order to get to the valve clearance adjustment parts. This summer I was in Norway and met a Belgian guy, on a k100rs - first modelyear - very cool oldtimer.
A reallife model of the cat - poseable - would be awesome and surely some "nerdy" art buyer would spend a fortune on something like that I guess :). Currently I am also trying to get into sketching some more - my Ten entry is going to be a 2d pic as well - if I have any good ideas for the cat i'll post them here.

Greetings and keep you posted on the rig ;)

Teknix

Nothingness
11-05-2012, 05:41 PM
thanks for the nice reply!

my first bike - and still have it - is the honda SLR 650 from 1997. So i thought it was the follow up on the transalp. Thought it's the same engine. Though the SLR is more street than cross.
But i needed something more street for longer trips and comfort. So the k100rs i have (i have 3 actually) is the very last model. The 4 valve per cylinder. It's more sporty than the first.

that said, nice to see the thread getting some life again.

cheerz

TekniX
11-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey Nico,

just had a look at the SLR 650 and it looks a bit more "cool" than a transalp wich is quite nice buuut, its a one cylinder whereas the transalp is a twin :) , some of the other parts look identical though.. So you never know how much they reused :) . Puuuh 3 bikes... thats to much work ! How do you even find time for modelling :P ?

Greetings

Teknix

dwigfor
09-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Bumping this, just to make sure I don't forget and it doesn't get archived. I haven't had time to work on it recently but wanted to keep this alive.

Nothingness
09-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks for bumping, david!

Almost forgot about keeping it alive!.
Still doing design on the new meccha, but not enough or fast enough either!!
Not even doing anything in 3d except some design work for a diy laser cutter.
What a shame!

In other news, the BMW k100rs is finished. Now i also got a volvo amazon to have fun with.
Wished i had a good 3d scanner to be able to put them all in digital. Manually is just way too hard to have an exact main shape.

So, on to some more drawing i guess.

cheers all

phantom28
11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
I've been trying to rig this cat for almost a year now on and off ...haha
I finished it last week, I'm working on the presentation now!!! :applause: :applause: :beer:

Darrolm
12-30-2013, 01:28 AM
Earlier this year when I was looking at getting into rigging some more, this seemed like a good way to do so and it was. One weekend and I had something that worked but had a number of limitations. Went back and redid it with fewer limitations the weekend after that. Now that I know more, I redid it a third time with more trial and error to get things right. Still can't get the legs to move out correctly when moving the control along the x axis. Every time, the IK handle would slip from the connection point.

Anyways, this is where my version is at now (https://vimeo.com/82909871) and I am rather pleased considering my experience with rigging is rather limited thus far. I still plan to go back and redo bits here and there on it but I need a break from it for a while.

Nothingness
01-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Great work so far!
Wished i was better at designing that cat. Now i wanna work harder on the next one.
Been doing way too much of anything and hardly anything 3d.
But slowly it's getting better.

Good luck on the old model for all who still rigs it !
Let's hope for a new model in 2014. It's almost been 4 years.

Cheers and happy newyear!

shcmack
01-03-2014, 09:50 AM
phantom28: Awesome, still the hardest project I've ever done, congratulations! :) Looking forward for your presentation!

Darrolm: Getting the legs to move with IK in all directions/rotations without slipping off from it's center is the biggest challenge in this rig, by far. I would say that 95% of my time rigging this one was spendt on figuring out how to rig that.

Nothingness: I'm still checking this thread from time to time to see if there's any updates on your new project :) Fingers crossed for 2014 ;)

Darrolm
01-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Darrolm: Getting the legs to move with IK in all directions/rotations without slipping off from it's center is the biggest challenge in this rig, by far. I would say that 95% of my time rigging this one was spendt on figuring out how to rig that.
That is where most of my time was spent each version. I think I might be able to reroute my setup a bit so that it works. Right now there are a couple joints and an IK handle that correct the angle of the leg for when the shocks move up and down. A similar system might be able to control the z rotation on the leg to keep it moving in sync with the foot controller as it moves side to side.

Darrolm
02-06-2014, 08:00 AM
So after posting a month ago, I went back and reworked things a bit. The system I created to stabilize the leg when the shoulder shifted vertically was capable of allowing the leg to move outward along the X axis so I made that conversion while trying out a couple alternatives that I ended up not liking. I also rebuilt the spine portion of the rig from scratch to allow for full twist while maintaining its shape. The number of IKs involved create a little bit of excess movement when moving the body but there is a correction control to counter it as needed. I will still be trying out a few things since I couldn't figure out a way to get the leg to twist.

Here is a demo of the new version. I will be doing some animation with the rig soon that I hope to add in this weekend.

Nothingness
02-10-2014, 03:41 AM
Great work on it!

I think seeing it really animated will be great. Always more alive then.
Waiting to see it ;)

Seeing my model again really makes me wanna start modeling on the new mecha. But still working on design and mechanism's. It'll be a blast if i ever get to start working on it.

Darrolm
02-11-2014, 03:35 AM
I just updated the video with a walk cycle at the end. It starts with the model only, then the controls come up followed shortly by the full rig. I tried to animate a transition to a run but I am not much of an animator. That fact actually just got me rejected from an entry level rigging position at DWA today in their first round of reviews.

Animating the rig did reveal a couple changes I want to make though so I will be adding those in shortly.

Nothingness
02-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the job!
I hope they told a bit more about why.
The animation might be a bit too easy. It's just a kind of short walk-cycle.

I won't say you see great animation in rigging-reels. But mostly they are about showing some extremes. I think this is the area where a rig starts to stand out.

But hey, i'm nor the rigger, nor the animator. I have done a bit of botch long long time ago.

Good luck. Practice makes perfect.