PDA

View Full Version : help needed - scaling and texture baking

Hydra
09-25-2003, 10:47 PM
two simple things i've tried to do the whole day. now I'm asking you guys for some help.

1st: I've just made a bump map I'm satisfied with BUT. when I try to uniscale my model down to a reasonable size (the damn(sorry) thing was huge, couldn't see the grid). now after i've selected it and scaled it down something strange has happened to the bump map.. it doesn't appear so "bumpy" anymore (almost flat in fact). but if I look closely I can see that the bmap is still there, but very faint. now... what the hell is wrong with it?.. is there another way of scaling or is there just something XSI does? or is it wrong with me (most likely)?
I have tried playing with the fractal setting after scaling but the results are not as good as on the large model.

2nd: texture baking. I just need some tips. I know how to bake a texture, I just wanted some tips how to set up the scene for the best results (I'm baking a base for a color map, so I would need some sort of GI, but the model itsealf in the void doesn't give me any good results(might possibly be because of the above)).

anything would be helpful... I'm quite stuck.

Atyss
09-26-2003, 04:55 AM
1st: I've just made a bump map I'm satisfied with BUT. when I try to uniscale my model down to a reasonable size (the damn(sorry) thing was huge, couldn't see the grid). now after i've selected it and scaled it down something strange has happened to the bump map.. it doesn't appear so "bumpy" anymore (almost flat in fact). but if I look closely I can see that the bmap is still there, but very faint. now... what the hell is wrong with it?.. is there another way of scaling or is there just something XSI does? or is it wrong with me (most likely)?
I have tried playing with the fractal setting after scaling but the results are not as good as on the large model.

I don't know if it's a bug or a feature, but you just found out that the bump is related to the center scale of the object. To get the same level of bumpiness, you'll have to multiply the factor of the bump by the inverse amount of downscale you performed. For instance, if you downscaled the object by 50%, then increase the factor by 200%.

Hope this make sense.

2nd: texture baking. I just need some tips. I know how to bake a texture, I just wanted some tips how to set up the scene for the best results (I'm baking a base for a color map, so I would need some sort of GI, but the model itsealf in the void doesn't give me any good results(might possibly be because of the above)).

Well, if the object is standing in nothingness, of course you'll have a hard time baking any GI on it! GI needs bouncing objects to be effective, otherwise the photons will get lost in space (the render may even crash as a result).

Cheers
Bernard

Hydra
09-27-2003, 03:39 AM
got it to work finally thanks to you, I didn't scale it down but after some tests I found out that the scale "bug" goes for lights also. Once I scaled up everything else in the scene I didn't need to touch the beautiful bump on the face.

now I got another problem with shaders and rendering though but I'll describe it in another thread :hmm: (sorry, but were allowed to ask dumb questions here eh?)

Hydra
09-29-2003, 07:47 PM
YES! I did it! I found the CURE! :beer:

ok, it was REALLY simple. I guess its a feature, dunno how it can be useful but this how you "fix it".

...hold your breath's

transform->freeze scaling

... that's all, voila.

I hope this might be useful for everyone else who didn't know this, but the freeze transform menu is some neat stuff :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.