PDA

View Full Version : Surface Normals/Ray Painting Question

magtek
08-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Hi,
I'm working on a project right now where the goal is to get a painterly look straight out of a Maya render, no post-production filters. It's for a short film. We're going for something that looks like some of the render tests done for American Dog, the early version of Disney's Bolt. The Art of Bolt said the folks at Disney were able to remap the surface normals of objects to get the light to react as if the surface were painted with brush strokes. They called it Ray Painting, and it also allowed artists to paint normals on an object to make it look like it had brushstrokes.

Does anyone know how to remap surface normals, or know about this process called Ray Painting? Is there a Maya plug-in that may allow this? It's probably a long shot, but it'd be great if we could get a painterly look in Maya!

We've researched particle-based and fur-based methods of approximating brushstrokes, but so far the results haven't been that great, especially when there's camera movement.

Here's an AWN article that describes Ray Painting further:
http://www.awn.com/articles/production/digital-eye-how-ibolti-got-painterly

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mrguy
08-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Well I know exactly what your talking about. We had a guy from Disney talk to us at our school about this very exact thing.

The only thing I can remember is the Surface Normals, so your on the right track but I just don't know about anything else.

Hopefully someone here might know? CGS has saved me a couple of times.

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2010, 08:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.