PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul model WIP on Modo forum

Martin Kay
08-03-2010, 08:24 AM
For those that may be interested, I've taken the plunge to do a WIP on the Modo forum of a Les Paul which will be finished as a Gold Top version.

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=48422

It's been a bit harder than I thought as there are some quite subtle curves on a Les Paul and no doubt some will point out where I've slightly missed the boat...

Normally I'd be in and out of c4d and Rhino to 'cheat' on some bits as I did on the last guitar (Strat).
The Strat was virtually all modelled in Modo, apart from some booleans which were done in c4d, but the project( in Modo) really slowed down 3/4 of the way through so I took it into c4d for finishing and the final render. I'm hoping this won't be necessary this time...

Martin

PaulS2
08-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Looking good Martin!

I traded my Historic '59 335 for a Historic '59 Les Paul about a month ago. I love Les Pauls!

Martin Kay
08-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Looking good Martin!

I traded my Historic '59 335 for a Historic '59 Les Paul about a month ago. I love Les Pauls!

Thanks. It's not as easy to get right as I might have thought- ie the pick guard is subtlly curved as its under tension with the fixing screws. The body carving is deceiving where the cutaway occurs etc etc.

Les Pauls. Yes I like the guitar very much- it has a very wide range of distinctive sounds- and I'm talking about clean sounds- more versatile than the Strat. Have you posted it up yet?

Martin

PaulS2
08-04-2010, 09:15 PM
You're doing a great job on your LP. I should take some time and do something like that. I don't use Modo all that much but when I need it I sure like using it....good modeler.

I love LPs clean. Anything can sound good dirty but the singing mid-range LPs have is my kind of sound.

I also got a Jr a few months ago and put a Charlie Christian pick-up in the neck....was a little hesitant in routing the wood but was definitely worth it. Beautiful, single coil sounds from that pick-up.....somewhere in between a P90 and a Gretsch dyna-sonic. No pictures yet.

Martin Kay
08-17-2010, 07:58 AM
You're doing a great job on your LP. I should take some time and do something like that. I don't use Modo all that much but when I need it I sure like using it....good modeler.

I love LPs clean. Anything can sound good dirty but the singing mid-range LPs have is my kind of sound.

I also got a Jr a few months ago and put a Charlie Christian pick-up in the neck....was a little hesitant in routing the wood but was definitely worth it. Beautiful, single coil sounds from that pick-up.....somewhere in between a P90 and a Gretsch dyna-sonic. No pictures yet.

Thanks for looking! You should do something like that, but it's stretching having to puzzle out sequence of steps constructing with sds. It sometimes take three attempts at getting there. Its familiarity with how it all works I suppose.

Martin Kay
11-28-2010, 10:09 AM
The Les Paul is finished now- for the time being...
http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=51222
I'm currently planning a tutorial

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2010, 10:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.