PDA

View Full Version : Robot Party [birthday], Imphead (2D)

imphead
09-25-2003, 09:01 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/35527/robot_party_birthday_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/35527/robot_party_birthday.jpg)

Hey all, figured I might as well join the fray here... but enough about me, on to the images

These are all from a series of images I'm spending my free time noodling around with. Apologies to those who've seen them before...

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/35527/robot_party.jpg

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/35527/Icarusfish.jpg

<edited by Tito: Image replaced with one hosted on CGNetworks gallery to prevent dead links.>

Best,

Brian

ReinS
09-25-2003, 10:26 PM
hey m8, i like your images. Nice atmosphere created and the characters are very stylish. Are they related to any story or something? Or did they just pop out of your brain at once?

And what programs did u use?

Kind Regards
ReinS

Popsicle_g
09-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Amazing! Those are the most unique and strange things I've seen on here.... absolutely love it.

hackie
09-26-2003, 12:53 AM
that's great images.
when i saw it on front page i thought it's 3D.
are you a 2D aritist? or r u going to make 3D version of it.
good job on the mood of each characters.

ji.:applause: :applause:

ps i'm just curious.. what kind of tool did u use it?

Stoehr
09-26-2003, 12:53 AM
Nice images. Reminds me of the movie Iron Giant.

Biohazard
09-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Wow, really nice job !
I love those old pieces of kitchen equipment experiencing human feelings. :drool:

oxyg3n
09-26-2003, 01:02 AM
This was already stated, but it reminds me of the iron giant too.

MRAY
09-26-2003, 01:10 AM
great work!
Love the style!

takkun
09-26-2003, 01:11 AM
A lot of your paintings have a number somewhere in the image, 29, 68, 12, 9, etc. Was that a conscious decision or am I looking into it too much?

And I love the fishes, who knew, fish and robots:thumbsup:

Hipnodream
09-26-2003, 01:17 AM
Very nice images.
Fantastic work.

ninja noodle
09-26-2003, 01:32 AM
WOW!!! that's beautiful work!!! love them!!! :applause:

MBeggar
09-26-2003, 01:41 AM
That last one is absolutly amazing. I love them all actually :D keep up the work

Modron
09-26-2003, 01:50 AM
MAN!! That is NICE!! those wings....beautiful. Haha, talk about your BlenderHeads, hehehe.

richd
09-26-2003, 02:19 AM
nice drawing style. reminds me of someones. and interesting robitic characters you have there, what is there story? and whats with the dead fishes?

imphead
09-26-2003, 02:27 AM
Thanks all! The response has been quite amazing... And thanks to the cgtalk mods more putting my stuff up on the front page. (And next to my good friend Joel no less!)

And in regards to all the questions...

I use Painter 7 for all my illustration... Okay, for MOST of my illustration. I do use Photoshop for doing things like color editing and if some bit needs to be enlarged or whatever only because Painter's editing tools suck the big one compared to Photoshop, but for everything else I use Painter 7.

I do create and texture elaborate models for my job, (video game developer) but at my heart I'm an illustrator, so when I go home it's all 2D for me.

All these images here are in fact supposed to be related in a weird sort of way. They are for an ongoing project that I work on in my spare time, what little I have. Most of the time I'll get a flash of inspiration triggered by a picture, or an object I see, (Like a telephone pole or a brick wall, stuff like that.) or sometimes by a song or even something someone says. Then I'll do a really quick sketch or three on a piece of paper, envelope or whatever is handy, then I'll take the best composition, scan it in and paint from there. I don't do a lot of prep work, (fine drawing and the like.) both because I get really bored and because I like to let the image grow and develop as I render it out.

The numbers are in these three related as all the images for this particular project are going to be numbered, however number in general I find are a great visual hook to get people to think about my paintings. I've long been of the idea that art is really, at it's core, a connection between an artist and viewer and the more a viewer takes an active role in their end of the connection, (e.g. trying to figure out what the numbers are all about, coming up with an interpretation of the "story".) the stronger a connection is made. I use number specifically because they are such a HUGE part of our life, and span many different cultures, yet are innocuous enough that they tend to fall into the background and only tickle our subconcious. Next time you feel the need to add a little intrigue and mystery to a piece, throw a number in. Fishes work masterfully as well ;)

And lastly, "The Iron Giant" is one of my all time favorites. Robots in my world are ALL ray-gun retro.

Thanks again all.

Brian

bobtronic
09-26-2003, 02:36 AM
I really like this. It reminds me somehow on "All my circuits" -
Futurama.

Bob

davemcd
09-26-2003, 03:10 AM
what is that robot doing to his nipples?

Terrific style tho ;)

DaveMcD

Terro
09-26-2003, 03:12 AM
Good way to put it "My world" becaus it is. I think you have your own little thing going here and I definitely don't want you to stop. Are you into Dali by any chance. For some reason I get that vibe. Thats what your work reminds me of. Great Stuff :)

Salaadin
09-26-2003, 03:19 AM
amazing concept, and well textured ,,great piece ,,,i like the 3rd pic but i dont get it ..:thumbsup:

GenConfusion
09-26-2003, 03:21 AM
Hey Brian,

It's Bobby, how have you been? Glad to see you made it to CgTalk...

KeepItEvil
09-26-2003, 03:23 AM
i love these... i love them i love them i love them.

the oldschool feel is a nice touch.

gmoran
09-26-2003, 04:35 AM
All I can say is..........Wow :eek:

I checked out your site as well, and man it's amazing!

raden
09-26-2003, 04:52 AM
imphead, never seen your works before and i'm impressed.
you're now on my 2d fave list along with the guys from Studio Ronin,Woods and the other kick ass artists.
really like your your Icarus Fish. sad- the feeling of being fail to rise-though not as bleeding and dark as Daedalus would see it to be. and what about the fish? i sometimes use it to symbolyse a penis. did you?

btw if you care please show us some progress shots. ty.

post more!

Savage_Henry
09-26-2003, 05:03 AM
First I want to say wow!
Your robots have a heck of alot of personality!
I especially like the robot playing with his....er....antenae?
Very cool stuff.
A tutorial on your technique would be awesome.

olijosman
09-26-2003, 07:08 AM
fantastic!!I am hallucinating:eek:
fantastic works!very expressive and with much force!!:applause:

draxaz
09-26-2003, 07:28 AM
:buttrock:

Yeaah :applause: Cool man. Smile for all day :thumbsup:

Moo 4.5
09-26-2003, 07:44 AM
Woah these are very cool. Excellent work :buttrock: :buttrock:

If i had to pick a favourite, it work be the first one. I love the cupcake, its a nice touch. Is that a city inside his head?.

I love the way you place your objects. The water tower makes me think "whats going to happen to the robot in the 3rd picture" and "Why is he holding a fish?"

Please keep us up to date on the project and good luck.

Wesball
09-26-2003, 08:05 AM
nice work. :thumbsup:

Reminds me a bit of "Castle in the Sky".:thumbsup:

ElKrullo
09-26-2003, 08:16 AM
They are all very beautiful.
The middle one reminds me of the game Syberia by Microids.
Really cool! Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if you switched those nipples.... :rolleyes:

PS.
Can I get these on posters somehow?

gege2100
09-26-2003, 08:32 AM
hey imphead !! i definitely love your style and colors ! you ve got one more fan !

b-lame
09-26-2003, 08:37 AM
i had to reply to this one.
fabulous drawings. thought they're 3D at first. and i love oldschool robots.

i really like the colors, all pictures got this nice warm touch to them - in some weird earthy way. maybe they could use SLIGHTLY more contrast though.

AJ
09-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Fantastic!

I love all three - excellent designs & style (especially the brain/blender).

And anyone who has the words of Jack Burton for his signature can only be a genius! :D

Supervlieg
09-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Great work, I love the lighting in the robot with angel wings. I like the idea behing it as well. Keep posting!

maks
09-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Very original style :thumbsup:
Love it! :eek:

M.

jamesjhunt
09-26-2003, 09:24 AM
love the kind of "old" style you given the pictures!
well done!

beej
09-26-2003, 09:26 AM
its nice man. looks a lot like jon foster's work though...

http://www.jonfoster.com

kag122
09-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Close to the original... hope Jon does not see it!http://www.jonfoster.com/bigcol5.gif

Now I just have to find his picture of the falling robot....

maks
09-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Didn't know Jon Foster (talk about culture...) - his work looks very nice, so I can understand that it's inspiring :)

I still like it a lot :p

M.

toce
09-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Fantastic work!!!

lildragon
09-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Brian when you get a chance, please send highrez shots of all three pics to me tito@cgnetworks.com, it's for the gallery :)

I'll be back with your award later

-lild

Raul-Reznek
09-26-2003, 12:48 PM
IMPRESSIVE!!!

extraordinary style!!!

DigitalDemigod
09-26-2003, 01:11 PM
Wow
For some reason that top image reminds me of the series Lost in Space. :thumbsup:

wesware
09-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Very well done.
The composition IMO is just about perfect.
The color is great... I would love to see these printed on high grade stock... maybe Expose 2.
The colors are rich and well layed out.
All that and then there is something about each one that sets me on edge... maybe its the anticipation in the content.

SWEET! oh yeah... a buttrock...:buttrock:

coolhillstone
09-26-2003, 03:54 PM
I like the 3rd pic very much!
It is hard to think out how could you creat so amazing work on the earth!

Words cannot express my feeling...

Royal
09-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Youre easily one of my biggest inspirational sources, been hanging out on your site for so long. Keep those robots coming.
Cheers
/Mikael

keight
09-26-2003, 04:22 PM
What I like best about all of these is that, aside from the retro design, they've "been around awhile". They're like well worn jeans and your favorite shoes. They all seem like old friends with each other as well as with the viewers.

Congratulations on making it to the Gallery.

Wonderer
09-26-2003, 05:52 PM
I love it!:beer:

KotsVlok
09-26-2003, 06:19 PM
I really like the sence of humor put in every piece, great work!

Neil
09-26-2003, 06:29 PM
Did you draw/scan first? or is this all from scratch?

leonardo davi
09-26-2003, 06:30 PM
cool i love it :beer: :applause: :applause: :applause:

requiem
09-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Yeah, i have enjoyed these pictures for a while now. Whenever anyone asks me how to digitally color i send them to your "brain in a blender robot" tutorial. It's one of the best i've found.
imphead rules

noxy
09-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Truly inspirational and distinctive.
My favorite part is that these robots seem to have a purpose other than to stand around and look cool, it's like they have their own lives and we're just seeing a snapshot of it. I love images that make me try to figure out the story or situation behind them.

Keep up the great work!

Noxy

imphead
09-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Woah! The response to these has been overwhelming, once again thank you all who responded. I'd love to address each and every one of you personally but unfortunately I don't have that much time! So once again I'll summerize...

No I didn't intend the fish as a phallus... However that's not to say it's a faulty interpretation. Going on what I said before about art being a connection, and the viewer being an intregal part of that connection, I feel that to dictate to a viewer a message or meaning is not only lessening the viewer's role in the exchange but is also nigh-impossible. Everyone who looks at a piece art, be it mine or someone else's is different. They are literally the sum of their experiences mixed with their genetic disposition. Where one person sees a penis another will see a god, and a third simply a fish. My job as an artist is simply to plant the seed of a story or a concept, the job of the viewer is to make it grow.

As far as tutorials go I can't really give you black and white, step by step instructions on how to paint like me, not because it's some big secret, but simply because I'm not entirely sure how I do it myself. I paint by gut instinct. I do a rough pencil sketch and then tear into it with the digital paint. If something is "wrong" I push it around until it's "right". I can't teach stuff like that. What I can do however is give you a "in process" tutorial that shows various steps of completion in the hopes that it will spark some ideas on new ways to work in yourselves. Here's the address to a ten step "Work in Progress" I did of the Blendboy 2000 piece.

Blendboy 2000 work in progress (http://www.imphead.com/about/blendboywip/bb1.html)

And lastly I'd like to give a couple of shout outs...

Bobby- Thanks for the welcome. Saw your "Ghost Hunter" piece in Expose, Congratulations! Shoot me an email sometime.

lildragon- I won a major award? Is it a house? The deed to a house? Italian? ;) I'll get an email to you when I get a second to get the details on the images/gallery bit.

Kag122- Ah yes, there's always one in a crowd isn't there? Really now, did you bother to see if Jon knew about these images before screaming "wolf"? If you had you'd have learned that not only does Jon know AND approve of the work I do but we've been good friends for many, many years. In fact there's even a link from his site to mine. Furthermore, Jon wasn't the only inspiration for these images OR this style. Had you bothered to dig any further than the surface you'd have come up with the name Phil Hale, a brilliant artist who has been painting giant, retro robots for many more years than I OR Jon and who happens to be an ispiration to us both. Or Ashley Woods, who through sheer coincidence also developed a pill-headed robot, Popbot, completely on his own. And what about all those other inspirations that all of us, Phil, Jon, Ash, myself, and countless others have wallowed in from our childhood on? Metropolis? Robbie the Robot? Silent Running? Star Wars? Scud the Disposable Assasin? Did you ever even consider their influence? I honestly do appreciate your grass-roots fight against plagerism, but next time you bring a witch to the stake, maybe you should do a little research first to make sure they're not just another person in a pointy hat.

:beer:

Brian

My Fault
09-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by beej
its nice man. looks a lot like jon foster's work though...

http://www.jonfoster.com

And Jon's work is very reminiscent of Phil Hale's. Both however seem to have added their own personal style to it.

Beautiful work!!

iBlue
09-26-2003, 11:46 PM
very cool, looks liek they could be part of an Iron Giant sequal :)

valu
09-27-2003, 12:36 AM
You catch the 3D essence. Very nice work

BigSky
09-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Love the surreal touches, like Dorethea Tanning. The robot thinks, comes across as determined and gentle and is imbedded in his world. Can't ask for more!

;)

facial
09-27-2003, 03:26 AM
imphead, You did really great jod here, I love them. I can imagine what are great animation movie will be if you bring your design and idea about robert into it. Keeep going, and i will look foward about your more works.
Weeeeell done. :thumbsup:

lildragon
09-27-2003, 01:59 PM
I recoqnized these the moment I saw them here. There's such a unique style to your renders that it makes me wanna model them and see them move :) I love your choice of colors, sense of mood and especially the subjects. There are odd, but in a damn good way!

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Awespiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_sept03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

DKMNZ
07-27-2004, 11:50 AM
you should have one of the other two illustrations as the gallery image! I don't get the birthday one. or at least, I don't dig it half as much as the other two.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.