PDA

View Full Version : adding details such screw holes

08-01-2010, 03:19 AM
hi,

im trying to model a rifle. i start with making a proxy mesh and then i tighten the edge so it looks good when smoothed. but before i smooth it, im planning to add a screw holes around the body like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/wgrs-c.jpg

i saw a tutorial that one way to do that is to make a square inside the body, extrude it in, and when its smoothed it will make a round shape. but i found it is hard to apply especially when the basic body is quite complex.

is there any other way around? im thinking about bollean but its kinda destroyed when you smooth it. any advice?

thank you

ps: image googled sorry for copyright infringement :D

SuperHero
08-01-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm gonna go with booleans as you mentioned it too. its advantage is that you can quickly manipulate it and find the best place for the hole but the downside is you would have a ugly mesh. so just spend a few mins and correct its topology :)

Dare-o
08-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Instead of boolean then smoothing it, smooth it first then boolean it.

SicariusMortus
08-01-2010, 07:33 AM
What i always do (and works pretty well) is put a circle on the spot where the hole needs to be, then make it low detail by changing the interpolation to roughly match your low poly detail (preferably a bit more) and then match all the corners of the circle by adding lines and moving them around, when theyre matched, you have a circle shape in your mesh, extrude that shape and bob's your uncle!

I stopped using boolean years ago because it never gives a good result and always chooses the wrong part of the mesh to attach to :P

Doomc
08-02-2010, 12:09 AM
I would usually just extrude it in, like you said...or there is smooth then boolean, but you could also model the bolt/hole seperately, duplicate it a few times then delete the polygons in the rifle where you need the bolts and combine/merge the vertices for the bolt holes in with the rifle.

C4ptainMike
08-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Have you thought about using normal maps, or bump maps? Sometimes that can create a much better result for the small details, plus you have much more control on the exact placement of where is goes. Plus it optimizes your mesh for when it gets integrated in larger scenes.

08-03-2010, 08:09 PM
thx,

i did a few tutorials back then and it never do a boolean. is there some kind of weakness from this method? the problem with extrusion is it requires a very precise design from the start, which is not available in my case. i mostly start without a grand 2D design, and when i came up with a complex base model, its hard for me to build the details (especially extrusion) later on. so i think my best bet on this one probably the smooth then boolean. or any other way?

yes im actually building a high poly model, then i try to generate low poly with bump and normal mapping from the high poly model.

thanks in advance

SicariusMortus
08-03-2010, 08:11 PM
My method as described above works wonders, i got many holes working that way :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2010, 08:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.