PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Big Diff Between .PCT and .PIC?

singularity2006
09-25-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm working with some funky image formats here @ the local high school. I often work with ACDSee to manage all the student ID images but have never understood why ACDSee takes for bloody ages to load up a single .pic file but loads up a massive hoard of .pct just fine. Is there an encoding difference in the two formats?? If I ever tried to load a whole hoard of .pic, the system would just crash out. Ideas?

Jbo123
09-26-2003, 07:30 PM
they are different, i don't know what Pict files are from, but .PIC is the softimage image format, used by XSI and SI3d. I couldn't tell you what the differences are though. Sorry

izzylong
09-26-2003, 07:53 PM
PICT is a Quicktime/Apple specific format.

You can open/preview it on a PC platform, but I believe that in order for the viewer to parse it, Quicktime must be opened in the background first. (retarded)

Just tested this, and that's how it does it for me.

My question is, why, praytell, are you using/recieving that format?

Is the ID camera outputting a pict format by default?

...just curious.

PS, you "can" disable the pict MIME type in the QT player prefs, but I tried that, and it still opens QT anyway.

I even told Windows to always use/accociate pict with Photoshop, but it still wants to run QT in silent-mode in the background... (hehe... bastards! hehe...j/k)

If it still presents a problem, and your camera only outputs that format, you can always use PS to batch convert the pics to another format.

Good luck:)

singularity2006
09-27-2003, 01:43 AM
I'm using the .pic format because it is required for our student image database that I manage. However, when the photo company gives us the student images, all the files are .pct..... so I was baffled @ the diff. At the time, the only thing I noticed was that ACDSee took bloody ages trying to parse the .pct file but could load the .pic file just like any other file (or was it the other way around? :surprised)

EricChadwick
09-27-2003, 02:53 AM
An interesting reference site.

File Extensions Windows/OS2/Apple/UNIX
http://www.icdatamaster.com/

singularity2006
09-27-2003, 03:55 AM
ah, that's pretty interesting, wow. Thanks. =D

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.