PDA

View Full Version : Ignore when Rendering

stussy
07-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi, there is a cool feature (:D) for the Maya software render. When you right click on a color channel in the Attribute Editor you can choose (Ignore when Rendering). So basically you can temporarily turn on or off textures for specific channels. It is nice because you don't have to brake connections.

Now, with Maya 2011 I would have thought it will finally work with mental ray shaders too :shrug: But .... since Maya 2009 nothing changes? or is there a hidden trick to get it work? I can choose the option (Ignore when Rendering) but it has no effect. Great Autodesk :applause: how useless is that

cheers

stussy

Jozvex
07-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Yes you're right, it is pretty useless! :scream:

What I do instead is:

1. Create a Render Layer (I'm usually already on one) because it won't work on the Master Layer.

2. Right click on the thing to ignore and instead choose 'Create Layer Override'.

3. Then break the connection.

That way, later on when you want it back you can 'Remove Layer Override' and it will put the connection back for you!

It's a few more steps but it works well enough.

:)

stussy
07-31-2010, 06:23 PM
I know that trick too ;) its not very elegant when you just want to check a bump or reflection map. I really hoped that Autodesk would have fixed it in 2011 - but NOT

thx

stussy

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2010, 06:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.