PDA

View Full Version : Fyn's VFX and MG showreel 2010

fyn
07-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Hello, I've recently graduated from my diploma and this is a short junior reel of the works I've done so far. I will be serving the army soon for a period of 2 years, and will be looking for entry-level jobs once I'm out. Instead of wasting these 2 years away, I will be working on my reel once in a while when I have the chance.

I would appreciate if you could take some time off to critique on my junior reel, as it would greatly help me as an artist and also see myself in a clearer perspective.

Thanks for the input.
http://www.vimeo.com/13735952

http://www.vimeo.com/13735952

Wiro
08-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Akh, the mandatory Singaporean army service... :)

The reel is not bad for a junior! Nice intro and overall very decent work.
Of the 3d stuff I think the demon in the trashbin is weakest. He looks flat shaded, the lighting doesn't match and the animation is quite jerky.
The opening shot of the grass looks good but seems to shimmer. I'm not sure if it's on purpose but looks like a render glitch.

The pair and the bicycle is nice but looks too over-posted. The bloom is too strong and it looks really blurry. The grade is nice though.

The motion graphics stuff is decent. I wouldn't take anything out but the stuff with the text coming at you is pretty simplistic and could use some more creative spiffing up. The graduation show title shot looks nice except I would use a different font. It looks too angular and strong to go with the organic shapes of the background. The colour looks a bit out of place too.

All the other stuff is good for a starting reel as long as you keep on polishing.

Wiro

szewei
08-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Hi Fyn!
Nice work! :)
I agree with Wiro about the demon. It's much weaker than the rest.
If you have 2 years to polish your reel before looking for a job, you might want to focus on what industry you would like to work in. I believe recruiters prefer recieving reels tailored to the position they are advertising. So maybe you could seperate the motion graphics from the 3D and make 2 reels...
Good luck with the army!
Sze Wei

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2010, 07:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.