PDA

View Full Version : worst siggraph ever

-dc-
07-30-2010, 05:26 AM
This one takes the cake, can't believe I actually spent so much money to be completely let down by the overall size, scope, and lack of education this year. Needless to say,i won't be back...

If I could get a refund, I would!

What did everyone else think?

I should mention, my basis for comparison, is the siggraph's of 5+ years ago. I do suppose if this year were your first time you might actually think it was great (and have no idea what you missed in the past).

3DMadness
07-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Yeah, it was my first time so for me it was great! :bounce:

mmbradh
07-30-2010, 05:21 PM
This was actually my first year as well, and I was pretty disappointed. I was expecting something much larger. I only did the exhibition floor though so I didn't hit any seminars or the animation festival at all. I did go to the BLUR party though, and it was pretty fun.

If I had to pay for it, I definitely wouldn't be going next year, but if the company is paying, of course I'll be there. ;)

taffy77
07-30-2010, 05:54 PM
There was some excellent talks this year and a few good papers. I think the exibition was smaller due to the economic climate.

I would not miss next year though as it is in Vancouver and we are already working hard to make it a huge event.

h3llbl4z3r
07-30-2010, 08:08 PM
yeah, I've been to Siggraph whenever its in L.A.,
i was disappointed that they no longer offered the exhibits plus pass, but that was no big deal.

I also knew that the exhibitors were going to be smaller because of Autodesk.
but what really made it bad in my mind was the amount of space for the exhibition floor. I mean c'mon it's a huge space and they crammed all these booths into a third of it. I didn't want to be in that area, i didn't care what so and so company was showing off.

It did make a clear statement to me though. From this siggraph i cant help but feel that graphics technology has reached a maturation point along its lifecycle. No longer will it be massive improvements but instead smaller increments and increases in efficiencies. The golden age is over.

The best year for me still has to be the one with Lucas as keynote. Here's to 2012!

RobertoOrtiz
07-31-2010, 05:07 AM
Well guys the conference was smaller, but to be fair the bad economy was a big factor for it.
And honestly I felt that the lectures, and papers more than made up for it.

(And I have been attending the conference for about 12 years now)

One thing that bothered me is that I was quite taken the plight of highly qualified CG artitsts that have not found a job in months.

So guys keep in mind that things are REALLY BAD right now and the SIGGRAPH folks did their best.

And btw I disagree strongly about the graphics techonoly reaching a maturing stage.
What i predict is that you will see more of an evolution.

Over and over in the lectures one could see how technologies like GPU computing, NPR, and Sphericla Harmonics are becoming more common.

hampsty
07-31-2010, 07:01 PM
One thing that bothered me is that I was quite taken the plight of highly qualified CG artitsts that have not found a job in months.

So guys keep in mind that things are REALLY BAD right now and the SIGGRAPH folks did their best.

I think you are right there about the economy. I was a little let down with this year's Siggraph too, I can see they really tried their best to put this together this year, and am glad I attended it. I was most impressed with the Disney's room, they really put in a lot of effort making that room fun to visit with all that amazing artworks. :) It's just too awesome to stay there. Aside from that, Rhythm and Hues and Bluesky Booth people are really nice, they were very willing to give out advise, stories, talk to us and are generally very encouraging!

The job fair was quite a let down, a lot of companies just aren't hiring and the hall was probably 1/4 the entire hall size, the rest of the space was left unused. I believe that the way the entire hiring process is going has definitely evolved, companies no longer want to accept demoreels on site, or even review them as much as before. Everyone was just like:" Apply online". Currently, the hiring cycle is going back into where companies prefer to hire experienced people more now that can take on the intern's job faster and probably better. So it is quite a tough time for many of the graduates out there, but a lot more hope for those who are experienced and are still looking.

The job fair opened on Tuesday and that's when all the talks were happening at the same time. Between talks or job fair , many of us have to choose and I wasn't able to go for both. By Wednesday companies just slowed down in talking to people, I thought. Thursday it was closed really early, so I don't feel like it would have been worth a day's pass at all that day.

However, I made some wonderful contact while in Siggraph, so for my experience it wasn't bad! :) Some of the talks were marvelous, I just wish they weren't all crammed up on the same day.

It's kind of scary to see Siggraph shrinking, because I thought it was the MOST happening event of the year for CG related stuff. Big Props to Disney still willing to help make it an exciting event to go to, despite we all know they are also struggling in their animation division. DreamWorks booth wasn't there, I was really looking forward to see if they were there but maybe they were already at Comic Con, and so wouldn't do both events.

I wonder if events like GDC, Comic Con and CTN Animation Expo also shrunk Siggraph a little? Since GDC was a lot more focused in Games whie CTN was Animation, Siggraph became more of a technical people gathering, and not as much artistic? Some of my friends couldn't attend both Siggraph and Comic Con too and had to choose either one.

MagnumCort
07-31-2010, 08:26 PM
My second SIGGRAPH and I thought it was great. I got to meet Syd Mead. I got to see the Pixar simulation guys talk about garbage. I got to see the Ubisoft guys talk about their gorgeous NPR Prince of Persia release. Disney talked about how they did Rapunzel's hair. The Electronic Theatre was fan-effing-tastic. Don Marinelli gave a completely inspiring speech. The exhibition didn't have the luster that it did during my first year, but I am not exactly in the market to buy a bunch of new stuff (Cintiq exluded), so I don't really care. The ZBrush guys were there showing off there stuff all 3 days, so that was cool. I got to experience Los Angeles in the presence of extremely smart and talented people. I left feeling inspired and rejuvinated and ready to tackle the world again in my crappy gray cubicle back home.

You get out of it what you want to get out of it, I guess.

Pepster3D
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
MagnumCort, I totally agree! Yes the exhibit was smaller and a few things did not seem as big and over the top as they had been in the past, but I still got to meet some great new people, learn some new things, be with other CG artists, and get inspired and motivated. Meeting Syd Mead was also more icing on my cake. I realized that the economy was probably the reason for the smaller exhibit and I hope that one day that will change again. It's really ruining a lot of things right now. I thought the talks I attended were great (Avatar, Iron Man, Pixar Keynote, etc) and for someone who sits alone as the sole CG person in the office everyday, getting to be amongst and listen to these talented teams speak about how they made these movies was a great experience for me. I also realized that it is so important to attend Siggraph in order to network and meet people. Without it, I'd be stuck in an isolated rut!

grundelboy
08-07-2010, 02:51 AM
I think given the hard economy and what they had to work with they did a passable job.
On a scale from 1 to 10 ( 1 = my mothers quilting convention, 10 = Super CG Joygasim ) I'd give it a 6. I have attended every siggraph in La. from 1998 till now and this one felt the most unpolished yet. But I'll still go next year. :banghead:

studiomiguel
08-09-2010, 08:34 AM
My first Siggraph was New Orleans, 2000. Every year since then, I have found the conference to be an amazing and inspiring place to be.

In recent years, I have found the conference to be overly focused on technology and as my interests become more and more focused on the art, we are diverging. The confluence is that all art (commercial) is now produced WITH technology. But, I am less interested with the ink than I am with the think.

This is a comment about the conference in general though, not this years.

unitzer07
08-15-2010, 09:54 AM
my partner shironinja did a post on our blog about this last week...pretty much sums it up for the both of us

http://studiogattai.blogspot.com/2010/08/siggraph-2010.html

Jspada20
08-16-2010, 05:19 PM
This was my first SIGGRAPH and I definitely had fun and learned a ton. The animation Blockbuster Breakdown was my favorite talk. I was not impressed with the studio however... I was really interested in the talks on the basic stuff because I am still a student, but it was impossible to get into these things, they changed the times, or it was jest to loud to hear the speaker. I was disappointed with that but the geek bar was great!

konan_b
08-19-2010, 07:46 PM
It was my first Siggraph as well, and I was told that previous years were much larger and better, but heck, I had a great time.

Most importantly, the keynote speaker Don Marinelli was OFF THE HOOK! I love that guy. Such style. Such intensity. Such inspiration!

bkravi
08-23-2010, 09:54 AM
This was my first siggraph and yes it was great, specially I enjoyed all talks on AVATAR. weta and its people are great.

But why there was no banner this year (the big one) that hangs on the west and south lobby exteriors every year?

kevman3d
08-28-2010, 12:24 AM
This was my third Siggraph - though it was my first time as a full conference attendee (previous were Exhibition only).

The exhibition this year was a little sadder then previous times. Most notable for me from when I last attended in LA in 2004 was the fact half the exhibition hall was empty, and that there were a minimal amount of material to collect from booths. Usually I can leave with like 10Kg's of brochures, demo disks, bags, etc. This time it was only like 5Kg's - lol! :)

However, as some have noted, the conference itself was great stuff. Plenty of production oriented materials. I went to a lot of technical overviews on volumetrics in VFX and I really did find a mix of talks and courses were extremely fascinating and educational in a big way for me. I also ordered the Encore set - Given the amount of great stuff I went to, and even more great stuff I had to miss out on because of timetabling clashes, it is definitely an excellent thing to purchase.

Branko
08-29-2010, 01:21 AM
kevman- Maybe out of consideration to the presenters and organizers of Siggraph you might edit your title from "worst siggraph ever" to "Smallest Siggraph Yet", since judging from your post it wasn't bad at all, just smaller.

SmallPoly
08-30-2010, 11:11 PM
It sure was tiny this year.

TraceR
09-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Heard the job fair was pretty much a joke too, but I guess that's not surprising in this economy... :argh:

RobertoOrtiz
09-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Heard the job fair was pretty much a joke too, but I guess that's not surprising in this economy... :argh:

And that is a factor that has to be considered.
This year's SIGGRAPH had some incredible courses and panels..
There organizers did their best about the show floor and the job fair.

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2010, 01:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.