PDA

View Full Version : REsizing

Angussyme
09-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Is it me - or is the resizing tool in painter broken? Even with constrain file size turned off painter seems to only allow percentage resizings in both width and height - as opposed to being able to alter one or the other...

Am I missing something here?

Jinbrown
09-25-2003, 03:49 PM
If you're using Canvas > Resize, no, it's not broken. That option is used to resize the entire image proportionally as well as to change the Resolution (ppi number).

There are several ways to change the size and proportions of a Painter Canvas or a Painter Layer. Depending on your image and what you want to accomplish, the method used will vary.

How about telling us exactly what your image contains and what you want to do with it?

Angussyme
09-25-2003, 04:10 PM
Games textures mainly (and concept art).

Often when I'm playing around with a facial feature, design or so forth I simply want to stretch or warp the painting quickly - for example if I'v e drawn someone too squat. And at the moment selecting, copying, dropping (in place), resizing the canvas then resizing the picture seems a tad clunkey

This one feature alone (quick and easy manipulation of art especially not just resizing but altering it in the multitude of ways photoshops Transform tools allow is the only reason I don't switch over entirely...)

Jinbrown
09-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Hi,

Using the Effects > Orientation menu options, you can:

Rotate

Scale (horizontally or vertically, or both)

Distort

Flip Horizontal

Flip Vertical

Use Free Transform, Set Transform, and Commit Transform

It sounds like you could use all of the above and you'll find some of the information in the Painter 8 User Guide, Chapter 15 Using Image Effects, the section named Orientation Effects.

Free Transform, Set Transform, and Commit Transform work with Reference Layers. You'll find information on Reference Layers in the Painter 8 User Guide, Chapter 14 Using Layers and Layer Masks, the section named Editing Layers, sub section named Working with Reference Layers.

Angussyme
09-25-2003, 10:57 PM
Cheers for the speedy reply - tis much appreciated and greating knowing you're out there :)

I should probably have been more specific in my criticism of the orientation options in painter - they exist, they work fairly well - but on both my home and work computer they don't work in real time (at least distory, rotate etc fail to) - which is a doozy of a problem for trying to line up pixels to create a game texture. In photoshop you can, in painter, its down to apparent guess work - not terminal by any means - but a bit of a pain - and something (along with the broken alpha channels) I'd dearly love to see fixed!

Jinbrown
09-27-2003, 04:37 AM
Hi,

There's no doubt about it. Photoshop does some things much better than Painter does them, if Painter does them.

Want to tell me about the "broken Alpha channels"?

It'll help me to see it from a Photoshop user's point of view because I'm a Painter person (though I do have Photoshop 7) and like a lot of Painter users am still figuring out all the bugs and things that don't work as well as they should.

Pre-Painter 8 we had a different Layer and masking system.

Thanks in advance, and a wonderful weekend to you!

Angussyme
09-27-2003, 10:25 AM
And painter is a great tool :)

Essentially (and I've heard this before) painter seems to have a problem saving 32 bit images.

If I'm making, say, hair for a games character I'll tend to create a image (256*256 usually), draw the hair onto it and also store with the image a black and white image (the alpha channel) that tell our game engine 'any black area on this image is transparent, any white area is opaque.

Its a standard feature in Photoshop and in painter should be controlled by the 'channels' section. However something sems buggy with this - and wen you load in a 32 bit texture - painter automatically kills the extra info and its channel displays nothing.

Also - dispite several attempts I found saving information included in painter's channels didn't seem to work - and meant anything that need info like that (hair, plants, chainlink fences, etc) mean me redoing it in photoshop...

(er - hope all that made sense)

I've since written to Corel and mentioned this (brought on by, I think, one of your posts on conceptart.org...) and am hoping its addressed soon. :) People at my office tend to ooh and aah over painters numerous features - but grimace when this comes up

And a great weekend to you too :)

Jinbrown
09-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi,

What exactly are you doing, in Painter, when you "load a 32 bit texture"... (using Painter terminology if possible so I'll get what you're doing)?

Then, what exactly is happening when "painter automatically kills the extra info and its channel displays nothing."

I don't know if this is relevant to what you're talking about, but I'm able to paint something on a Layer, create a Layer Mask based on transparency, then load a selection based on the Layer Mask.

Then I could do anything I wanted with the selection.

I can also save the file in PSD format, open it in Photoshop 7, and everything's intact.

ArtImage
09-27-2003, 10:32 PM
(edit) Moved reply to a new thread (reply was getting off the subject).

Go here for reply to Angussyme tga file questions.

No 32bit tga (alpha channel) - how about tif instead (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91119)

ArtImage
Justin

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.