PDA

View Full Version : need help with shader in particle flow

dileepyedla
07-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Hi I am new to particle flow.. I have created a shader and i applied to particle flow. But its effecting the whole particle system as one shader.

I want the shader to apply to individual particle separately....

help me out in this.... My requirement is I wanna create a shader similar to particleCloud shader in maya...

charan.....

Orbital101
07-31-2010, 05:10 AM
I am not sure to understand the question but If you want to apply different shaders to the same event then you might want to try to add a age event then add the second shader or you can try a split event depending your need.

JohnnyRandom
07-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Try Using a Multi Sub-Object material. Create a new MSO, set the number of materials you have, and apply that to your flow. In your material static operator, select assign material ID, and cycle, plus choose the amount of MSO materials.

Note: that the Order of the materials is applied from top to bottom in the flow by particle birth, Particle 1 will get material 1, particle 2 will get material 2, and so on. (I seem to remember typing this exact thing recently, or is it deja-vu?)

EDIT:
help me out in this.... My requirement is I wanna create a shader similar to particleCloud shader in maya...
Since YOU are asking for help, how about taking the time to post an image of what your talking about instead of assuming that people in a max forum know what a "particleCloud shader in maya" is.

Since I am sure you know what a "trivectorized cross product of a normalized tangent to achieve a point radian of an intersect ray" is ;) (lol, thanks Ian :D)

dileepyedla
08-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Thank you for the info.. Maybe my question is little confusing.........

I am about create a smoke trails which are very streaky... so I used Particle flow to generate particles and use spawn event to generate the trails using couple of fields. The movement is fine and now I wanna apply a shader to it that looks like a very smooth smoke or fumes.

I used fumefx initially but, I cannot achieve very streaky effect.. so I created a smoke shader by using noise fractal on diffuse and opacity passes.. I applied that material to an instanced object of particle flow.

The material I created has some random dark and white places in color and opacity as u know bcoz of fractal noise. I am using material dynamic operator also.

The problem is once I applied the material to Particle flow. The entire PF is taking the shader as one... i.e, wherever white is there the particles are visible and in black places they are not rendering.. The entire trial is now rendered randomly by some areas invisible

I couldnt attach the image now bcoz of security issues.. I will create an example shot in my home and will attach it to u soon...

thanks for taking time in helping me out....

charan....

JohnnyRandom
08-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Pictures and examples (if possible, I realize not everything has a real world example) of what you are trying to achieve are always nice :)

From your description it almost sounds like the scale of your noise is too big. I'll wait for an image. It maybe helpful to post one of your flow too while you are at it :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2010, 12:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.