PDA

View Full Version : [KRAKATOA] How the hell is this effect done?

Rayko
07-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Well, I saw Matthias Müller's videos, but i'm really wondering about how he does this one thing in krakatoa.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MatthiasmVideos#p/u/12/aq4IAaNlris

As you can see in the first and last test in that video, i'm guessing that's fumeFX of course...

But what i'm wondering about is how he makes the front ends (the colored "fire") glow so much, and the smoke just gray.

Now what i'm also wondering about is the middle part. The thing that looks like a tail moving or something (just watch the video, can't explain in a much different way). How is that done?

If anyone has any ideas, please do share!

EDIT: about the light effect: the creator talks about linking an omni light to the emitter, but how? I have no idea and position object does not work for omni lights!

thanks!

Bobo
07-28-2010, 09:30 PM
The PFlow Emitter is moving through the scene with the Position Operator placing particles at the Icon (not using an Object). The Omni can be linked to the PF_Source object and you can play with the Falloff/Near/Far Ranges to make the light illuminate only particles in its vicinity.

Please note that the Falloff in Krakatoa is calculated differently from the way Max does it.
It assumes that the energy of the light source is constant, so if you reduce the radius, the core intensity increases proportionally. You can get REALLY hot lights with inverse falloff this way...

Rayko
07-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks Bobo! And congratz on your 4500th post you just made!

Going to try it out right now!

Now as for the middle scene from that video, how is that done? (not the light of course, but just those particles in general, I can't figure it out)

I spot some age tests in there, But it looks sooo... furry?

EDIT: I created a new tips and tricks thread for this kind of stuff, hope it turns out to be quite handy for fast effects like this! (Gave you credit for sharing this with me though Bobo!)

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2010, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.