PDA

View Full Version : ianimate.net

ecas
07-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Well I can see no one opened a thread on this here yet so Ill start.
A few days ago ianimate was announce, it's pretty much like Animation Mentor only it's a bit cheaper
so it could be a good solution for some.

http://www.ianimate.net/

About the program
"JasonRyanAnimation.com and DigiCel, the makers of FlipBook have teamed up to create a new online animation school called ianimate.net. The purpose of the school is to train animators to produce feature quality animation in the shortest amount of time, without having to mortgage their future. All of our instructors are currently working in major studios, and can teach the students what they need to learn. Beyond the standard principles of animation, our students will learn the work flow that professional animators use and to previsualize their shots in FlipBook and bring their performances to feature film quality in Maya. Previsualizing like this is a major benefit because it helps the students understand animation frame by frame and it helps them get their vision of the scene in front of the director faster. That way if the director likes it, they’re that much further ahead and if it isn’t what he wanted, then less time was lost." taken from the website.

Any opinions about it?

Torr
07-29-2010, 03:56 AM
I personally am super excited. Jason Ryan is a great teacher, and after having watched his tutorials and webinars, I have complete faith in him. I learned more from him in listening to him talk for an hour than I did from a semester in school. :) He used to be a mentor at AM, and if anyone can make a school to top them, he can. I've already signed up and will be in the first semester this September!

SheepFactory
07-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Jason is an amazing instructor.

PabsTex
08-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Well, guys, I'm in. Semester 3. I can't wait to be there. This School is gonna be awesome, It has all the animator from dreamworks, It's like being trained by the Dreamworks Staff (like a internship). And the last Semester about the Team work Short, It's gonna be amazing.
Anybody else there for Semester 3? Can't wait to see my buddies! Greetings from Argentina!

fig
08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
This is interesting as it seems to be modeled around a cirriculum very similar to Animation Mentor, a lot of the teachers are actually current or former AM mentors. I'm already in AM but I'm intrigued to see how ianimate goes.

gauranga108
08-03-2010, 04:15 AM
I like Jason Ryan's workflow and videos a lot.

The real test will be the students work that comes out. AM has the best student work that's why it's the best school.

$10,000 is a good price. Isn't Am $18,000?

hvanderwegen
08-16-2010, 04:11 AM
I applied today. Here's hoping I get in.

joryayer
08-27-2010, 07:08 PM
10k, wow. I was thinking about doing AM, but, Jason Ryan is a great animator; I might consider this. I like the monthly payment option, that makes it alot easier to pay for, which is my biggest issue right now.

Looks like a good setup also.

hvanderwegen
08-28-2010, 02:22 AM
I like the monthly payment option, that makes it alot easier to pay for, which is my biggest issue right now.

Agreed. I got in, and will start in about two weeks. Absolutely stoked about it - the monthly pay option is great, and fits my budget exactly.

joryayer
08-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Agreed. I got in, and will start in about two weeks. Absolutely stoked about it - the monthly pay option is great, and fits my budget exactly.

Well, I'll see you in a couple weeks, sem 1 accepted, and paid; the monthly option is a great idea, I agree; I couldn't do something like that with AM.

I guess for me, it was the third school to get accepted to, that I was actually able to afford, that I'm going to; with great animators as teachers to boot!

Torr
08-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I've done some of the JR webinars and tutorials, and they are by far the best instruction I've ever had. After watching the webinar about the school, I am totally stoked! I believe it will be a great school! If you haven't watched it yet - do so!

fig
08-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Cool stuff guys, I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback on the program from you.

joryayer
08-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Cool stuff guys, I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback on the program from you.

So far, everyone that I've met in the community is pretty awesome. It looks like itll be a great time, we will keep you posted.

hvanderwegen
09-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Official opening tomorrow!

phantomworkshop
09-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Hey, for those of you who have applied and gotten in, did you just click on that iRegister link and fill out the information? Is that "Message" part like an application or that's just to register for the site, then they contact you about applying?

Thanks!

joryayer
09-10-2010, 02:09 PM
By clicking the Register link and filling the form in, it will e-mail the staff at the school to get you started, you'll then get an email (probably from JR) with a link to pay for school.

As far as I remember registration was closed on Aug. 31st, and we start school this coming Monday, but who knows, maybe they'll still get back to you before this semester starts and get you in! Good Luck! Maybe we'll see you on the flip side!

phantomworkshop
09-10-2010, 06:27 PM
By clicking the Register link and filling the form in, it will e-mail the staff at the school to get you started, you'll then get an email (probably from JR) with a link to pay for school.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

joryayer
09-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Also, if you're looking to get into Semester 2 or 3, you'll have to submit a showreel. Jason has a webinar on his website describing the process.

phantomworkshop
09-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Also, if you're looking to get into Semester 2 or 3, you'll have to submit a showreel. Jason has a webinar on his website describing the process.

That's not going to be necessary for me, I don't really have much prior Animation experience and no real work to show. I'd be starting with Semester 1.

joryayer
09-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Cool, well if you get in, you may end up in a Sem1 Class/Group with me. Depends on which instructor you get!

Good luck again!

If you don't hear anything within a day of sending the registration, I'd drop an email from the contact page.

phantomworkshop
09-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Cool, well if you get in, you may end up in a Sem1 Class/Group with me. Depends on which instructor you get!

Good luck again!

If you don't hear anything within a day of sending the registration, I'd drop an email from the contact page.

Thanks man! I can't afford to pay right now unfortunately - even just for the month so I'm going to have to wait till next Semester but hopefully I'll see around the community! Let me know how it goes :)

- J

sqrlcub
09-24-2010, 12:09 AM
After looking through their websites, I wasn't really able to find anything about job placement assistance or potential internship opportunities. Do they do any of that? Too soon to tell?

fig
09-24-2010, 03:33 PM
This is the first term the program has been open so I doubt you'll have any decent data on that for a year or two.

Speaking of it's been going for a few weeks now...any feedback from current students so far?

joryayer
09-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Yep! We're all pretty busy getting assignments done and handed in!

Feedback from me:
- The Instructors Rock, we get some amazing feedback.
- Our classmates are amazing, the feedback and such from classmates really is a great help, we've got some very talented classmates.

Overall, a great experience, I cannot wait for my next assignment, Q&A's, Reviews, Demos, and so much more!

fig
09-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Good stuff, glad to hear it's going well.

So what have you guys done for your first assignments so far? I'm curious how similar it is to the AM curriculum.

Torr
09-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Jason wants us to keep what we're doing quiet, we're trying not to let the curriculum leak. But, I can tell you that so far our first assignments are different than Animation Mentor's.

fig
09-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Well that's...vague :)

joryayer
09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
All students want to WOW the public when we release our first school reel... so patient you must be. Torr is correct on the curriculum leak, we want to prevent that at the moment.

Don't worry, it's pretty epic.

If you scroll through the semester information on the website, you can get an idea of what we're doing, but ... it's a secret...!

Your jaw will probably drop when you do see what we've been working on though.

Be on the edge of your seat...
(sorry, I really do wish I could say more...)

fig
09-27-2010, 11:46 PM
No, I can understand.

I'm in a bit of a unique place though, I actually just completed Class 1 of AM and am taking this term off for some personal reasons (primarily to get married). Planning to start Class 2 in January but I'm finding iAnimate really interesting. I don't doubt the quality of instruction, but at this point I'm leaning towards going back to AM largely for the networking aspect as well as the classes and investment I've already made.

phantomworkshop
09-28-2010, 07:49 AM
I too am very curious but I understand keeping it under wraps for the time being... looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

There is one question I think you iAnimators can answer though,

Based on your experience thus far, would you say that iAnimate truly caters to those who have never animated in Maya before? Or is it mostly full of students who have experience?

Thanks!

Polg
09-28-2010, 11:04 AM
That's really interesting , I'm really looking forward for more informations about the school espacially student's reel. I was saving money and preparing myself for AM, but iAnimate it's really great opportunity with those mentors and I could start it earlier because of money.

Looking forward

joryayer
09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I too am very curious but I understand keeping it under wraps for the time being... looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

There is one question I think you iAnimators can answer though,

Based on your experience thus far, would you say that iAnimate truly caters to those who have never animated in Maya before? Or is it mostly full of students who have experience?

Thanks!

I think iAnimate is definitely a great option for those who've never animated in Maya; although Maya is the recommended software platform at iAnimate, I've noticed some classmates using blender, and 3dsMax also. We also work in Digicel Flipbook for our 2D conceptual ideas (if you want to, you don't have to, but it's a great learning tool).

I've barely touched animation in Maya, and have learned heaps in the first couple weeks; I'd definitely recommend it.

No, I can understand.

I'm in a bit of a unique place though, I actually just completed Class 1 of AM and am taking this term off for some personal reasons (primarily to get married). Planning to start Class 2 in January but I'm finding iAnimate really interesting. I don't doubt the quality of instruction, but at this point I'm leaning towards going back to AM largely for the networking aspect as well as the classes and investment I've already made.

Congratulations on getting married!

As for the networking aspect, we've got that also! The Instructors at iAnimate all work in the industry themselves, and tons of our students do also.

That's really interesting , I'm really looking forward for more informations about the school espacially student's reel. I was saving money and preparing myself for AM, but iAnimate it's really great opportunity with those mentors and I could start it earlier because of money.

Looking forward

Polg, I was originally going to go to Full Sail or iAnimate myself, however, the amount of money was a little too out of reach for me. iAnimate is a great option, at a low cost; but the curriculum and teaching does not suffer due to a cheaper tuition. Once again, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to get into Animation.

- To all -
Keep an eye out on the iAnimate site! And us students will try to keep updating you on it; and feel free to ask questions about the school, we'll do the best we can to answer!

Polg
09-29-2010, 08:59 AM
But Full Sail gives you Bachelor what iAniamte doesn't :) that's one of reason why you need to pay lot more.

MrJuzah
09-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Though what is a bachelor in comparison to a show reel that shines?
all the bachelor says is you have a knowledge on animation/film history and can write about it to a good standard. Im working on my bachelors now and truely wish i'd saved that money and instead poured it into online courses with noteworthy studios like Gnomon/iAnimate; At uni your not learning souly about the subjects relevant to you, you have to go through the motions of learning subjects which you'll never use again once you have that piece of paper :/

Polg
09-29-2010, 09:53 AM
MrJuzah you have a right on this but is depend of school, I guess.
I think that's good in our industry most important is what you can do, and what you can show in your reel , than what kind of paper do you have, but if you have both it's even better.

joryayer
09-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Though what is a bachelor in comparison to a show reel that shines?
all the bachelor says is you have a knowledge on animation/film history and can write about it to a good standard. Im working on my bachelors now and truely wish i'd saved that money and instead poured it into online courses with noteworthy studios like Gnomon/iAnimate; At uni your not learning souly about the subjects relevant to you, you have to go through the motions of learning subjects which you'll never use again once you have that piece of paper :/

I think a bachelor degree in our industry can actually help; I don't think it's a complete waste. On one hand, you may use the knowledge you learn in a Bachelors Degree program in the industry, such as Art History, or a History course could cause you to think of a story to write/suggest at your studio for a feature - which then you would have experience on how things work for that feature already.

On the other hand, it could be a waste of your time.

It's all what you put into it, and what you take out of it. What you think is relevant to you now, you may wish you had done years down the line.
Like me, I wish I took physics in High School. Shot myself in the foot on that one. :0)

I think iAnimate is a good option for me monetarily, and training wise. At this point in time, I don't have the time or money to afford a bachelors degree, I want the training; I want to learn my craft, and I want to learn it well - and from the best. So, iAnimate it is.
I'm glad I did it also.

My .02 cents.

phantomworkshop
10-04-2010, 12:41 AM
For those of you in iAnimate, what's a typical week like @ the school? Do you have an set class every week? A breakdown would be great, thanks! :)

hvanderwegen
10-04-2010, 07:35 AM
For those of you in iAnimate, what's a typical week like @ the school? Do you have an set class every week? A breakdown would be great, thanks! :)

I am in term 1. So far it works out like this: on Sunday evening/Monday morning (depending where you live) you get your assignment, which includes everything you need to get going (refs, tutorials, etc.). At the start of the week Jason does a general tutorial class (with interactive feedback) aimed at all terms, which is awesome, and shows a lot of extremely high level technique, a review of animation principles, and studio work-flow principles, catering for all terms. Next (or the day before, depending on the instructor you have), there's a term and class/instructor specific interactive Q&A session, where we can ask all the questions we want. Principles and theory are discussed that relate to the assignment at hand, and there is excellent feedback, both from the instructor and the students.

Remember, it's all interactive - very cool! Then we get the remainder of the week to work on our assignments, and the online community helps a lot. So far the interaction between instructors/school/Jason and the students has been excellent - I get a LOT of mail and messages, and I feel it actually works better than live courses I have participated in. And there's direct instructor contacting through email as well. Furthermore, Jason provides all the students with a wealth of resources through his existing video tutorials that are freely accessible to us.

Then we upload our assignments on Friday/Saturday, and in the weekend a live interactive review session (like a daily in production) is held. Our work is individually critiqued in an one-on-one session (my instructor sees EVERYTHING that's wrong, even a single missing frame) which is shared with the entire class (no more than 6 people in a class, so lots of individual attention), and in the following week we improve/perfect our work. For those of us who did a really good job first time around a second sub-assignment is given to work on. This week I worked two evenings and an afternoon on my assignment.

It's well organized now (some kinks in the first week, but that was to be expected), and in these last three weeks I have learned more than I ever dared to expect. Check out the sample calendar for a weekly breakdown on the website.

Best decision I made in the last, oh let's say, 15 years! I'm having a blast.

phantomworkshop
10-05-2010, 05:40 AM
I am in term 1. So far it works out like this: on Sunday evening/Monday morning (depending where you live) you get your assignment, which includes everything you need to get going (refs, tutorials, etc.). At the start of the week Jason does a general tutorial class (with interactive feedback) aimed at all terms, which is awesome, and shows a lot of extremely high level technique, a review of animation principles, and studio work-flow principles, catering for all terms.

With Jason's general tutorial class, it's the same time every week? How far in advance do your get your schedule? I work in retail so I need to give my boss a set schedule of when my classes will be and times I will not be available to work that's why I ask.

Next (or the day before, depending on the instructor you have), there's a term and class/instructor specific interactive Q&A session, where we can ask all the questions we want. Principles and theory are discussed that relate to the assignment at hand, and there is excellent feedback, both from the instructor and the students.

How long is the Q&A session? Is it the same time every week?

Remember, it's all interactive - very cool! Then we get the remainder of the week to work on our assignments, and the online community helps a lot. So far the interaction between instructors/school/Jason and the students has been excellent - I get a LOT of mail and messages, and I feel it actually works better than live courses I have participated in. And there's direct instructor contacting through email as well. Furthermore, Jason provides all the students with a wealth of resources through his existing video tutorials that are freely accessible to us.

Wow, that sounds incredible! I love all that direct feedback. I know I'm going to need A LOT of help!

Then we upload our assignments on Friday/Saturday, and in the weekend a live interactive review session (like a daily in production) is held.

You say in the weekend.. again, same time each weekend or does it vary?

Our work is individually critiqued in an one-on-one session (my instructor sees EVERYTHING that's wrong, even a single missing frame) which is shared with the entire class (no more than 6 people in a class, so lots of individual attention), and in the following week we improve/perfect our work.

So it's a one-on-one critique in the classroom full of at most 6 people, or it's a live one-on-one with JUST you and the instructor and just everyone gets to view it? Is your critique always the same time each week?

For those of us who did a really good job first time around a second sub-assignment is given to work on. This week I worked two evenings and an afternoon on my assignment.

What about for those who don't do a really good job the first time around? They get a 2nd week to improve it?

It's well organized now (some kinks in the first week, but that was to be expected), and in these last three weeks I have learned more than I ever dared to expect. Check out the sample calendar for a weekly breakdown on the website.

Best decision I made in the last, oh let's say, 15 years! I'm having a blast.

Where is the sample calendar? The one one the site is blank under "EVENTS'

Thanks for all your input, I'm really excited about iAnimate as long as I can manage my time with work! :)

Torr
10-07-2010, 09:03 AM
All the demos/lectures/reviews are all at the same time each week unless the teacher has a need to change time, but if you can't make it, everything is recorded and you and everyone else can go back and look at the reviews.

The Q&A session is only an hour, but my teacher has stayed late to answer all of our questions, and the review, my teacher prefers us to have individual critiques, and we log on in intervals to get our stuff reviewed, but then we can go back and look at everybody's.

I'm in semester two and we have had four weeks for our animation to fix it up. I believe there's a two week minimum on activities, that way you can get feedback, fix it, and then get a final feedback.

So far its been awesome!

phantomworkshop
10-08-2010, 06:27 AM
All the demos/lectures/reviews are all at the same time each week unless the teacher has a need to change time, but if you can't make it, everything is recorded and you and everyone else can go back and look at the reviews....

Thank you! That was really helpful :)

fig
10-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Torr, it sounds like you started in the second class as opposed to the first? What sort of animation experience did you have coming in?

Torr
10-09-2010, 05:48 AM
Torr, it sounds like you started in the second class as opposed to the first? What sort of animation experience did you have coming in?

Yeah, I did :) I have had two classes in animation before, one 2D and one 3D, but I learned very little from the 3D class, which is why I decided to go into iAnimate. I knew about the principles and how they basically worked. I did a bunch of the JRA ramp up tutorials and things like that. Here's my work sample I submitted if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR4ifY2UVj0 He said I was borderline going into the second semester, but I promised to work hard and so he let me go through.

joryayer
10-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Phantom - Very similar to Torr (Hi LeeAnn!), I've found that my instructor is always willing to stay over the hour; actually to be honest, I don't think I've been in a review or Q&A where he has ended it prior to the hour ending, it's always after. It's an immense help.
My instructor will review everybody's project while everyone else is in the room, so we all see it, we all can ask questions, and learn from everyone.

The ability to re-watch the reviews is pretty awesome.

As for Semester 1, so far we've been given two weeks per assignment, so we get it, start it, then ask questions during our Q&A, and work on it more; then submit it. We then have our 1st review that weekend, and then we go and work on it more, ask questions the next Q&A, then work on it more. Then submit if for the "final" review. Then on to the next project.

As for when the reviews occur - each instructor is different. My instructor has a review session on Saturday and Sunday to be able to work with peoples schedules. You pretty much stay in either one; unless something comes up - you can ask classmates to switch I think.
I travel for a living, and have the possibility of missing reviews, but have only missed two since I started at iAnimate. So it's definitely plausible to work around a schedule. If you miss a review, you can email your instructor questions prior, so that they can answer them, and you can watch it later.

ewtwolf
10-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm curious if anyone knows how the monthly pay works in regards to registering early. I see I need to make the first payment to hold my spot for the January term, but do I need to make payments for November and December before classes start?

I've emailed them but I don't think their web email is working (doesn't send me a copy and haven't received a response).

I have enough to put down for the first month, but with the holidays I'd like to save my money and start paying again in January when the class starts.

ARTzuza
10-13-2010, 08:15 PM
wow, really good information, i want to study in animationMentor but it´s so spensive for me now.
I will see ianimate :)
thanks!!!

dronix
10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm curious if anyone knows how the monthly pay works in regards to registering early. I see I need to make the first payment to hold my spot for the January term, but do I need to make payments for November and December before classes start?

I've emailed them but I don't think their web email is working (doesn't send me a copy and haven't received a response).

I have enough to put down for the first month, but with the holidays I'd like to save my money and start paying again in January when the class starts.

The first payment secures your spot and covers the first month of the term. You'll then continue paying monthly after your term has begun. I've registered for Term 1 Jan 2011 :cool:

joryayer
10-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Well, I'm on the monthly payment plan myself....

The first payment holds your spot, then it's a recurring monthly payment every month that you're enrolled in classes. The payments would happen each month that you're physically in school, as far as I know, if you make your hold payment, you won't have to pay until the second month of classes; I'll shoot a school email to Jason if you PM me your name or something that would be able to help him find your email easier; to get a for sure answer.

joryayer
10-20-2010, 02:02 PM
The first payment secures your spot and covers the first month of the term. You'll then continue paying monthly after your term has begun. I've registered for Term 1 Jan 2011 :cool:

Awesome Dronix! We'll see you in Janurary! I'll be in semester 2 then, but we'll see you around!

fig
11-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I'll see you guys there in January, will be starting in semester 1.

joryayer
11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Fig!

Great to hear that you're starting in Sem 1! Congratulations! We'll see you on the flip side!

love4animation
11-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Hey all!
First and foremost, thank you to all who have kept this thread alive. I love reading all of your comments and posts. So, I'm currently enrolled with Animation Mentor. I will be starting in Jan. I just recently graduated from a school with a Bachelors in Fine Arts in Computer Animation. I'm now currently working for a 2D studio.

With that being said, my 2D skills are sub par, and could use some work. And as well as my 3D could use some help as well. So, my question to you current iAnimate students is that I was wondering how this will work for me.

I really want to get better at my character animation in both 2D and 3D. Right now I need to focus more on 2D for my studio. So, I talked to Jason Ryan through emails about this. But are his instructors going to be able to help push myself to expand my 2D skills? For example are his instructors more 3D versed or are they also 2D versed or both? Thank you to all who reply to this post. I really do appreciate it!

Torr
11-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Hey all!
First and foremost, thank you to all who have kept this thread alive. I love reading all of your comments and posts. So, I'm currently enrolled with Animation Mentor. I will be starting in Jan. I just recently graduated from a school with a Bachelors in Fine Arts in Computer Animation. I'm now currently working for a 2D studio.

With that being said, my 2D skills are sub par, and could use some work. And as well as my 3D could use some help as well. So, my question to you current iAnimate students is that I was wondering how this will work for me.

I really want to get better at my character animation in both 2D and 3D. Right now I need to focus more on 2D for my studio. So, I talked to Jason Ryan through emails about this. But are his instructors going to be able to help push myself to expand my 2D skills? For example are his instructors more 3D versed or are they also 2D versed or both? Thank you to all who reply to this post. I really do appreciate it!

You could probably request a teacher that was well versed in 2D, for example, my teacher Ted Ty was a supervising animator on Lilo and Stitch and also worked on Mulan and some other Disney movies. I think that most of them are now 3D oriented, but I know a couple worked in 2D also, so I think you'd be able to work in 2D without any problems if you wanted to.

joryayer
11-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm sure they could find you an instructor that could help you out. I have quite a few classmates that work in 2d for as long as possible, then push it to 3D. I just recently saw some pretty awesome 2d shots getting posted in our community also!

love4animation
11-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey Thanks for responding back. Like I mentioned before, I've been talking to Jason through emails, and he really sold me on how he will pair me up with the right instructors. So bye bye AM and HELLO iAnimate!! He said he reserved my spot for January!! So, I will see you guys soon!!! Again thank you to all...if you all have a chance, I'm trying to get some feedback on my site, www.animationbydarren.blogspot.com , let me know what you all think...and again, much thanks!!

CHEERS!!
-Darren

hectored
11-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi!,

To those already enrolled at semester 1 or 2, could you tell us your experiences so far?
I've read this thread but would like to know more opinions.

Also, if semester 1 begins at Jan011, when would you be graduating if there are 6 semesters?

Cheers!

joryayer
11-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi!,

To those already enrolled at semester 1 or 2, could you tell us your experiences so far?
I've read this thread but would like to know more opinions.

Also, if semester 1 begins at Jan011, when would you be graduating if there are 6 semesters?

Cheers!

Hectored,

As you can tell from all of the iAnimators posting here, we're loving it! Of course it gets quiet from time to time, as we're focusing so hard core on animating! In my opinion, it's a great school, the people are great, the instructors are awesome; everyone is helpful to the highest extent! The amount that I've learned is amazing!
IF you have more specific questions, feel free to ask!

As for when we graduate, for us Sem 1's right now, it'd be 21 months from the start date roughly.

hectored
11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks for your quick response!

Which books do I have to consider have (explicity requested by ianimate if any)?, for examle A.M. recommends two:

- The animator's survival kit
- The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation

If I recall correctly, I think also this book: Cartoon Animation by Plestor Blair

Cheers!

Torr
11-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks for your quick response!

Which books do I have to consider have (explicity requested by ianimate if any)?, for examle A.M. recommends two:

- The animator's survival kit
- The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation

If I recall correctly, I think also this book: Cartoon Animation by Plestor Blair

Cheers!

They don't say that you have to get any books. Jason prefers Eric Goldberg's Character Animator's Crash Course over The Animator's Survival Kit. He says that it really doesn't matter what books you get, just that you find something that you understand and that works for you, and it doesn't necessarily have to be in a book - for example, Jason's tutorials on his website (which all students get for free) are great learning tools and that might work better for you than a book.

fig
11-15-2010, 10:04 PM
While I'm not going to argue with Jason as he knows his stuff, for me personally The Illusion of Life is just an amazing, inspiring book. It's also a great source to learn a bit of animation history if you're not already well-versed on the subject.

hvanderwegen
11-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes, Jason doesn't really like all the different walks Williams is doing in his book. I got both: Animator's Survival Kit and Goldberg's Character Animation Crash Course. I think both are great, with the first more technical, while the second book is more general (also treats compositing as a topic).

And Preston's Blair's book comes in two flavours: the first edition (which I prefer, since it has all the original characters in it) and the second revised edition (with all the generic ones). The original ed can be downloaded here: http://www.blendernation.com/2008/02/11/preston-blairs-advanced-animation-1st-edition/

And Jason's tutorials and webinars are excellent; it's awesome we got free access to all of those when we signed up.

joryayer
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
While I'm not going to argue with Jason as he knows his stuff, for me personally The Illusion of Life is just an amazing, inspiring book. It's also a great source to learn a bit of animation history if you're not already well-versed on the subject.

I can't remember if it was Jason who said this, but I think he said the Walks were "too Floaty" or something; I might be misquoting, but in my opinion, all of the books have merit and are good to study and understand; that way you would be much more well versed in different approaches. I own all of those books to be honest, and they're all excellent.

hvanderwegen
11-16-2010, 10:21 PM
All those books are great (I also own them) - just different ways of expression by great animators.

DreamThinkLive
11-17-2010, 01:11 AM
I'll see you guys there in January, will be starting in semester 1.

Hey Fig, So your not gonna continue AM? Was hoping to see you there when i came back in Jan.

fig
11-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey Fig, So your not gonna continue AM? Was hoping to see you there when i came back in Jan.

Yeah, I'd love to but I really can't afford to go back to AM at this point. Gonna give iAnimate a try and see how it goes :)

mitcoz
11-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I am planning to join Ianimate as well, Im joining at Semester 1, and then if my work is good enough, I hope to progress into further semesters. It looks way more affordable than Animation mentor, and they look like they have some top animation teachers there as well.

rastkos
12-07-2010, 01:32 AM
We're almost done with the first workshop at iAnimate. I've finished the first two semesters at AM as well and I think I've seen enough at iAnimate by now to write a preliminary comparison. I tried my best to be as neutral as possible in the first part of the post, where I compare the schools directly, but don't expect this to be completely objective. I've made a switch from AM to iAnimate, which means that I had reasons to look elsewhere even before I knew anything about iAnimate and this clearly makes me biased.

Its too long to paste here, you can read the whole thing at:

http://rastkos.blogspot.com/2010/12/ianimate-and-animationmentor-comparison.html

fig
12-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Really great info, thanks man!

Osmosae
12-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Appreciate the time and effort that went into writing that rastkos, many thanks :applause:

neo4trinity303
12-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow I should have been keeping up on the post more and I hope it continues to grow as the ianimate training continues to grow. I can't wait to meet all you new animators going into workshop 1 and 2 and beyond. I was a workshop 3 animator and moving onto workshop 4. I can't wait to meet my new instructor and all the new great instructors we have. All around these guys are amazing animators and classy people. They love to have fun but also get tough on your work! If you guys/gals, keep running into questions keep them coming. I will try and be on this post as much as possible. I love seeing this community grow with animation craving people! Cheers.

Darrell

Jae1234
01-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi guys,
I looked into applying on the iAnimate website and it asks you to submit a demo reel of you animation. Since I am totally new at animating, I have been spending some time messing around with free animation softwares such as Pencil. My question is, does anyone know how good your animation demo reel have to be in order to be accepted into iAnimate program?

dronix
01-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi guys,
I looked into applying on the iAnimate website and it asks you to submit a demo reel of you animation. Since I am totally new at animating, I have been spending some time messing around with free animation softwares such as Pencil. My question is, does anyone know how good your animation demo reel have to be in order to be accepted into iAnimate program?

Hey Jae1234, the reel is only necessary if you're applying for anything other than Workshop 1. The reel is only used as a class placement and doesn't dictate whether you're accepted to iAnimate or not.

If you're starting out then I would suggest you try for Workshop 1 as there isn't any knowledge prerequisite.

I'm currently in my first week of Workshop 1 :cool:

neo4trinity303
01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Because iAnimate is no longer a school and now animation training. Your demo reel you submit for workshop 1 just has to show any type of animation you can or cannot do. iAnimate is training you in bettering your skill and you have to show where you skill is no matter what workshop you are getting into. Hope that helps.

Jae1234
01-06-2011, 08:18 AM
ok that makes sense cos i emailed jason and he said that i have to submit a reel even for workshop 1.

ShaderOp
01-08-2011, 04:43 PM
ok that makes sense cos i emailed jason and he said that i have to submit a reel even for workshop 1.
It's probably just a misunderstanding that happened somewhere along the communication chain :)

I'm currently enrolled in Workshop 1 and I didn't have to submit a reel.

Larry_g1s
04-12-2011, 10:40 PM
iAnimate.net has posted there new Promo video. It's mostly about the program, but features some members work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwbFRvGoGHg

fig
04-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Great stuff!

ewtwolf
04-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Anyone starting in May? I just paid for my spot today :)

Larry_g1s
04-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Anyone starting in May? I just paid for my spot today :)I've been there since the first block, but will still see you in May. :) Congrats on the decision and see you soon!

urico
04-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Anyone starting in May? I just paid for my spot today :)

Hey, I'll be in iAnimate too! I'm starting in Workshop 2. Still waiting for login info and who my instructor will be. See you online at iAnimate!

Cheers! :beer:
Rico

fig
04-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Hey, I'll be in iAnimate too! I'm starting in Workshop 2. Still waiting for login info and who my instructor will be. See you online at iAnimate!

Cheers! :beer:
Rico

Cool stuff, I'll be in Workshop 2 as well. I'll see there!

ewtwolf
05-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Yay! Today is day one for May workshops...see everyone later tonight!

Cheers,

-Edward

Larry_g1s
06-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, I just thought I'd let you know one of our instructors, Jamaal Bradley, has just released some training that I'm sure any animator would find useful. He posted a thread in here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=7016438#post7016438

hectored
06-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Thank you for sharing it, I didn't know about it. Cheers!

Larry_g1s
06-20-2011, 03:26 PM
One more... :)
Ken Fountain (another one of iAnimate.net's instructors and DreamWorks animators) is coming out with training video. It's not out yet (coming out soon) but has a nice teaser video for it. I've had the opportunity to have Ken as an instructor last Block at iAnimate.net, and he's great when it comes to acting through your character. I just thought I'd share it with ya guys/gals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObP6064QjGo

Larry_g1s
07-01-2011, 04:30 PM
It's now available fellas!! Check it out HERE (http://www.jrawebinar.com/index.php/component/content/article/38-rokstories/112-ken-fountain-animating-a-basic-acting-shot.html).

Grgeon
07-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up Larry! I love these ianimate videos and all things Jason Ryan :thumbsup:

-George

Larry_g1s
07-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Just an FYI to those who are interested, iAnimate.net is now accepting enrollments for the August 29th Block of Workshops. See the site for more info.

Larry_g1s
11-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Just wanted to share our first full student showcase.
http://www.ianimate.net/vids/feature_2011_showreel.jpg (http://vimeo.com/32697046)

Osmosae
12-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Fantastic work, cheers for sharing :thumbsup:

Larry_g1s
01-27-2012, 08:40 PM
New section of the iAnimate.net site introducing the rigs: http://www.ianimate.net/index.php/our-rigs.html

We've have the privilege of Victor Vinyals (best known for his Business man rig) rig many of our characters, as well as Angelo Sta Catalina.

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2012, 08:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.