PDA

View Full Version : Urban Environment Modeling Question

CGSeydlitz
07-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Hello,

I've just recently been given a school assignment on designing an urban design based on the already existing city. The thing is we can create everything we want on that city and now I have been thinking to create a sci-fi style city, though I admit its a cliche, I have seen many great works coming on from sci-fi theme. One example to note is Stefan Morrell works that I have once seen it whilst browsing through 3D World old issue featured images

Now moving on, I'm still trying to find the best way to model a completely a new city from scratch, at least the major part of the city I would like it to be shown.

The first thing I noticed is some modelers are using specific plug-ins like Grebble for Max to recreate the huge environment needed, alas I am not Max but Maya user so I think I still need to find new way. Other possible thing is modeling the city building by building manually and then in the process maybe we can alter some of the construction to create the desired city but I'm afraid my computer won't be able to handle it.

What do you guys think? What method do you guys usually used to tackle problem like this?

Thank you

Guitarhead429
07-29-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't know if this is what your looking for, but there is a plugin for Maya called KludgeCity. It generates buildings from a simple shaped plane that the plugin creates itself. Its not Sci-Fi, but you could add some sci-fi modifications to the buildings, as the only other material other than lambert that is added to the building is a reflective glass material to the windows. The best thing about this plugin is that its a free download. However, the catch is that its still in development by the author, so a small amount of instability should be expected.

heres a link: http://www.whetstonevfx.com/kludgecity.html

CGSeydlitz
07-31-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't know if this is what your looking for, but there is a plugin for Maya called KludgeCity. It generates buildings from a simple shaped plane that the plugin creates itself. Its not Sci-Fi, but you could add some sci-fi modifications to the buildings, as the only other material other than lambert that is added to the building is a reflective glass material to the windows. The best thing about this plugin is that its a free download. However, the catch is that its still in development by the author, so a small amount of instability should be expected.

heres a link: http://www.whetstonevfx.com/kludgecity.html

Ah I'll check your link out, thanks for it. :)

TurNEo
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I think the most time saving way is to do it with a plugin, and model detail every building individualy.
you can do the plugin thing on max, and export the objects to maya.
good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.