PDA

View Full Version : Cup modeling

Obbe
07-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Hi,
First of all, I'm new here and I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Very nice looking forum and site, by the way.

I recently started a 3D-modeling class in school (using Maya) and our first assignment was to model a cup (I suspect materials and rendering of this cup is to come). I've played around a little in Maya before, and a little in 3ds Max, but I've run into troubles. I've modeled the body (see pic), but I'm not sure how to create the handle. I tried google for a tutorial, but all I found was this (http://www.techtut.com/Tutorial/Maya/36-Create-a-coffee-cup-in-Maya.html) and references to it. Also tried searching the forum, but that didn't work.
My thought was drawing a line and somehow turning this to a cylinder and then bridge it to the body (inserting two more loops, I think they're called), but so far, no luck. Any help on how to proceed on this is much appreciated! (Can be direct tips or links to tutorials)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2209363/WireFrame.png

Tangster
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
here's a tutorial I made for Cinema4d, but it's easy enough to follow in maya/max/etc
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/166/f/f/5_minute_modeling___Mug_by_DudQuitter.jpg

Doomc
07-28-2010, 09:49 PM
For maya you can extrude a cube 4 or 5 times into the shape of a handle then press 3 to smooth it. Or you can simply change your toolbar to animation(top left panel under file and edit) -> create deformers -> nonlinear -> bend and modify the bend attributes to the right to bend a cylander into a handle. Make sure you add 4 or 5 edge loops to the cylinder or it won't bend.

Obbe
07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks a bunch! Just what I was looking for! I'll try both of them ASAP.
Must say Tangsters cup looks a lot better than mine. :)

Argyll
08-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Am I seeing things or is that mug 60 metres high with a radius of 25 metres? The dialog dimensions indicate 60m & 25m so just wondering - seems a tad large to me.

KrzysztofFus
08-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Am I seeing things or is that mug 60 metres high with a radius of 25 metres? The dialog dimensions indicate 60m & 25m so just wondering - seems a tad large to me.

3d space is imaginary.

3 inches could be 3 million miles.

sundialsvc4
08-09-2010, 03:25 AM
The numeric value of any 3D coordinate, etc., has no explicit bearing on any "real world" unit -- neither feet, millimeters, miles, nor parsecs.

But you do need to come up with one, and use it consistently, so that everything in your world is in proper proportion to everything else.

scrimski
08-09-2010, 08:42 AM
3d space is imaginary.

3 inches could be 3 million miles.
You should keep the scale when you model something that's gonna be used in some simulation or ia going to be lit with photometric lights.

Obbe
08-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Also depends on the amount of coffee you intend to consume.

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2010, 09:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.