PDA

View Full Version : subtle lighting differences using backburner

mactoons
07-28-2010, 12:50 AM
I am trying to setup my 2 computers with backburner and I have everything working for the most part except when I render a set of frames I notice the slightest difference in lighting between the 2 computers output. I only see it in one area, it is an object with a normal map and a mia_material shader. My scene is using sun & sky, all rendered in MR.

The only differences I know of between the 2 maya installations is that one has shave and a haircut and the other does not, but this set of frames has hair turned off anyway.

Any ideas?

Here is a quick mov of what I'm talking about
http://mackenziecauley.com/files/bb_glitch.mov

Kinematics
07-28-2010, 09:15 AM
How about your computer processor brands and graphic cards. anything different there?

Also, are you using Global Illumination? Could be a flickering thing caused by the random sampling.

mactoons
07-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah the computers are very different. My workstation is an 8 core xeon and this render node is a 6 core phenom II. Graphics cards are a quadro fx 1800 and a geforce 8800gtx.

I wasn't aware that would make a difference? It's weird because everything looks pretty much exactly the same besides that one hotspot of light.

I'm not using GI but I am using FG along with the MR physical sun & sky.

mactoons
07-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know if it is even possible to achieve exact accuracy across several render nodes when they are very different hardware?

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2010, 08:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.