PDA

View Full Version : Shave & Maya 2011 - Batch Render, Long Intervals

chiodo
07-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Hey guys,

I'm experiencing quite weird long intervals of apparent n o t h i n g n e s s when I'm rendering a scene containing fur(shave) with mental ray from the command line. Judging from the feedback and the CPU activity, it just stalls for minutes on end.

The options are all set the same as when I'm rendering a single frame out of Maya. Render Threads are defined. A Viewport render takes 2-3 minutes for full HD, the batch render the tenfold!
Plus, the fur comes out wrong. The highlights are all blown-out (see attachment).
I'm using Hair primitives, Detail Shadow Maps, Production: Rapid Fur (Rasterizer), standard shave (not puppets) shader.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

Do you want me to post further information? It usually stalls, for example, at:
*** PHEN 0.2 info : adskMayaVolumeEngine(): Processing 1 volume primitives.

Waiting eagerly for replies!

chiodo
07-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Can you be SERIOUS?

I switched from IFF file output, to TIFs and it works like a charme!!

Why d i d I want to save it in the Maya file format in the first place anyway?

cavemen
07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
can you post your render log along with your render globals settings...

chiodo
07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Even though I solved the problem? Are you interested in the settings?

cavemen
07-28-2010, 04:31 AM
yes i would like to know ...
its weird :surprised that after changing the image file format your render times have reduced .
Have you tried saving the image in open exr ?

chiodo
07-28-2010, 08:23 AM
It's basically just the "Production:Fur" Quality Preset, rendered in Full HD to TIFs, with the Shave Globals set to Hair Primitives.

I agree, that it is definately weird, that saving it to IFFs should have an affect on the actual render time. And no, I haven't tried open EXRs.

(right click --> view image to see its full size)
http://www.sonnenfall.de/hff/zooescape_settings.gif

cavemen
07-29-2010, 04:16 AM
hey
Jean
I was just going through your settings, and i think you will have to turn off auto volume in the Extra Features dropdown list in the Features tab, This enables raytracing by default.
Also can you tell me what are your setting of Rasterizer (the one above the shadow parameters) in the quality tab it has a settings called rasterizer transparency?
Do you have tip fade on in your shave global settings ?
After rendering have you checked your character's alpha ?

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2010, 04:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.