PDA

View Full Version : Smoke materials for particle

Orbital101
07-26-2010, 04:45 AM
Could anyone tell me what I am missing to create realistic smoke look? I did about 5 differents type of smoke materials tutorials but none renders the same as the final product on the tutorials. My renders always show square edges around each particles.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z253/goodurden/testsmokerender.jpg

Orbital101
07-26-2010, 05:55 AM
I get better result by increasing the spawn but I can still see some square geometry here and there. I also increased my render time by 2... So about 8.5 min a frame with no FG and some more light geometry to build in the back ground =x

Is this the only way to go or I have done something wrong with the materials?
Something not set right in the Pflow?
or is there a plugin that will make this easier to create realistic smoke without increasing the render time drasticaly?

Thx in advance.

DoubleSupercool
07-27-2010, 08:07 AM
It's been aaaages since I have use Pflow, but IIRC you could blend opacity maps. You have one opacity map for the smoke type texture and then a radial type gradient to soften the falloff to the edge.

Rayko
07-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I get better result by increasing the spawn but I can still see some square geometry here and there. I also increased my render time by 2... So about 8.5 min a frame with no FG and some more light geometry to build in the back ground =x

Is this the only way to go or I have done something wrong with the materials?
Something not set right in the Pflow?
or is there a plugin that will make this easier to create realistic smoke without increasing the render time drasticaly?

Thx in advance.

Try looking into FumeFX and AfterBurn, those plugins are AWESOME

DrWeeny
07-27-2010, 04:59 PM
If you can't afford a plugin. You can use Pflow using :
- facing shape
- a noise texture with a cloud mask and make it a bit transparent
- animate the phase slowly across the time
- use spawn by travel and delete operator by age and also scale operator (in order to make the particle bigger across the time)

Normally, it can do it.

The best is to render the particle apart with your object turn in matte to comp them (then you can correct them much better)

Orbital101
07-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I am at a stage where I am happy with the result but now... I am unable to render my scene. The render keep translating the scene for hrs. Comp is the only way to go ?

I have no clue how to comp but learning was in my plan, just not today lol. Any advice?

Orbital101
07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Here is my setup: I have 2 setup like this. The other one as lower value since its far behind.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z253/goodurden/Tosend-1.jpg

And thx god i just founded this link :

3d max compositing tutorials - course http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=901022

Orbital101
07-27-2010, 05:49 PM
If I understood 3ds max composite is only for still frame photo or it can do video aswell? I supose one could work with the video sequences one by one but there must be another way =#

I heard Nuke or Fusion are good. If anyone as advice on wich program to use and learn let me know.

thx

DrWeeny
07-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Here is my setup: I have 2 setup like this. The other one as lower value since its far behind.

You can in the particle flow check the particle count in : particle view/option/track update/particle count
It can help you to optimize your flow.

If I understood 3ds max composite is only for still frame photo or it can do video aswell? I supose one could work with the video sequences one by one but there must be another way
I never use max composite but normally you can import a sequence of image .
In After Effect and Nuke, you have just to check the option in the import window and click then on the first image of your sequence to import all the sequence

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2010, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.