PDA

View Full Version : Geo Screwing up

Jirajing
07-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey guys, I have this problem with my character, where I'll rotate his bones, use his controls ( the way they're supposed to work) and it'll mess up the geo in some places. Weird deformations that stay even after I zero out the bones again. Odd twists and pinching here and there.

What gives? I'm wondering maybe I forgot to delete history before I skinned my character. If that's the case, what can I do at this point?

Thanks!

berniebernie
07-26-2010, 10:08 AM
post images, can't help you in the dark.

Jirajing
07-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Sure,

heres a couple examples of what happens.

I guess it happens when I set keys, but on the normal control curves.

( by the way I used The Setup Machine 2 to rig the character)

http://i.imgur.com/2zQel.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uzvXI.jpg

Darksuit
07-26-2010, 02:15 PM
without seeing the file or a bit of a wider shot, I would hazzard a guess that the problem lies in the pole vector.

It appears that your upper arm is twisting 180 degrees. If the arm is using IK then this "shouldn't" be happening. But since it is, I would think that your pole vector control is not where it "should" be, and this may be a simple fix by just moving the pole vector control.

This is all guessing at what "Might" be happening to the bones. But I can certainly see that your upper arm is twisting.

animatedfox
07-27-2010, 03:26 AM
Always worth taking the time to do.
Depending on your setup it can be pretty painless.
First save your scene and give the following a try;
Edit -> Delete By Type -> non-deformer history.
If this doesn't work then you should Export your Skin Weights (check out Maya Help on this)
Also make sure you still have access to your blend shape targets, if any, so that you can remake those.
Maybe you have some clusters too?
Then delete your history, rebind your mesh and Import you skin weights. Then just recreate your blend shapes and clusters.
At this point you can rest easy because this will ensure you never make this mistake again. :)
All the best.
~Ben

Pietas
07-27-2010, 06:09 PM
So hard to troubleshoot a rig based upon a few lines. like having a mechanic repairing a car over the phone hehe.

Have you used TSM2 before? do you know that there is an error accruing or could it be something wrong you did during the setup?

My shot in the dark is that the arms are bound to the ik,fk joints too.

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2010, 06:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.