PDA

View Full Version : Community College?

xsouthpawed
07-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi everyone
I'm a high school student right now and I was thinking about maybe taking some 3D courses in community college (during high school). Has anyone done this in the past and what are your experiences of it?

I'm thinking about community college because it seems like my cheapest solution to learning. I can't afford digital tutors or anything.

I'm currently trying to figure out Blender as well. If you guys know any good 3D character modeling books that'd be great too.

Thanks!

fig
07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Community colleges are really hit or miss, it all depends on the instructor. Sometimes you have someone who's actually a working professional that really knows their stuff, sometimes it's someone who's learning the software the same time you are. If you can do some more research and find out who's teaching, their background, etc., you can probably make a better decision.

I can't imagine that a college course would cost less than the $45 a month that Digital Tutors costs though.

xsouthpawed
07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Alright cool, thanks!

I'll definitely look the teachers up then.
But I wanted to clarify about the community college fees. When I saw your post, I actually wasn't sure if digital tutors was cheaper. But here's what I found:

Community College: $26 / unit + $10 Student activity fee + $xx Material fees
now, as a high school student, I'm only allowed to take one class >.<
so that's less than ~$50 for the whole semester.

Digital Tutors: $45 / month x I don't know.. 4 months? = ~$180

But then.. there's the question of which path I would benefit more from. That.. I'm not sure
I really don't think that my parents would shell out $180 for Digital Tutors =\ Especially seeing that I have a rather jam packed schedule this fall.

If anyone has any other ideas / comments, that'd be great!
Thank you in advance

xsouthpawed
07-26-2010, 05:49 PM
accidentally posted the reply twice

Cairobat
08-18-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm currently taking digital art/3D modelling classes at my local community college, and I am very pleased with the level of instruction - BUT - I am also a big advocate of not making my instructors teach me everything. I spend a lot of time outside of class looking at tutorials and attempting to expand on what I'm learning in class.

One thing you will get from community college that you can't get from digital tutors* is access to the personal learning editions of Maya, Mudbox, 3ds Max (and many more) made available FREE to students.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

*please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rebeccak
08-23-2010, 05:17 AM
I'd recommend SMC (Santa Monica College).

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2010, 05:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.