PDA

View Full Version : Normal Mapping Question

Roninfang
07-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Okies question about normal maps

i know there are used to generate high detials for loy poly meshes
detials like muscles, biceps,scratches all those stuff

so far my work flow is after making the low poly model in maya transfer it then to zbrush to sculpt the high res one with all the major detials now like the muscles, scratches and stuff then move it back to maya then use transfer maps

now my issue is after baking the normal map the map kinda is messy and doesnt get all the detials how to go about it?

also about zbrush is i cant find the zmapper option

SuperHero
07-24-2010, 06:06 PM
ZBrush 3.5 does'nt have ZMapper which is not necessary at all!
regarding the issue, either your UVs are messy!, you are tricking yourself by using specific shaders inside of ZBrush (like the default one), you expect too much from your normal map if it is generated in a super low poly details or the texture res is low.

Roninfang
07-25-2010, 07:30 AM
ic

"regarding the issue, either your UVs are messy!, you are tricking yourself by using specific shaders inside of ZBrush (like the default one)"

so how does a specific shader affect the normal maps that i would be generating?
and how increase the resolution of the texture that will
be generated?

so far i tried the technique moving the high res model to the low res in maya and baking/transfer maps from problem with that process it chews up a lot of proccessing so i cant generate normal mpas asone whole peice for the model and do it by portions

the other way i know is after sculpting the high res in zbrush, the uv unwrapped, go to geometry change subdivide to 1, generate normal map from zbrush...problem with this process is that the normal map generate is low res since i have to change the sudivide in the geometry option to 1 because i keep getting a message that the normal can only be generate if the subdivide is set to 1 which causes a low res normal map which kinda suck because ill lose most of the detials this way ><

how do i make the map a high res?

SuperHero
07-25-2010, 08:52 AM
The shaders don't affect your normal maps, matcap shaders have a cavity attribute which sometimes fool you while sculpting in ZBrush as if you have more details, but when you export the model to your main 3D app, you feel the details are lost!
first export your model at a pretty decent subdiv level in which you want to create your normal map from, delete lower levels, in the UV section set your texture res to a good range, then create your normal map. DONE!

Roninfang
07-25-2010, 03:33 PM
tried doing a simple a render test

now my next issue is...
where ever i cut my faces a black line/seam appears

http://roninfang.deviantart.com/#/d2usigb

how do i fix this problem ?

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2010, 03:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.