PDA

View Full Version : Filling a volume evenly with particles without intersection

bigquix
07-23-2010, 11:40 AM
hi CGTALK friends
I've been trying to find a way to fill a heart-shape volume with spherical particles with different sizes. As you know particles will always intersect in such a case.
What I did was using reactor and fill the volume with ready sphere objects, delete their animation keys and then turn them into particles with a birth script so that they could be sent to next events. but this is not a convenient method as the director keeps changing the position of the spheres.
I'm looking for a better solution for this problem. All your suggestions are welcomed.
thanks

BrandonD
07-26-2010, 08:39 PM
PositionObjects > Separation. This sets a minimum distance in units between particles when placed on/in the object.

bigquix
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
yes, I know this technique
but there are a few problems:
first it's not really accurate; second, the spheres are in different sizes, if I assume the lowest radius for the separation distance, the bigger spheres will defiantly intersect with other spheres.

dementol
07-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Pflow toolbox 2 do the trick. or thinking particles

BrandonD
07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Yes, Box #2 has a Position operator specifically designed to fill a volume with particles in a lattice.

bigquix
07-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Pflow toolbox 2 do the trick. or thinking particles

Cool! I'll take a look at Box2
but how is it possible with Thinking Particles?

dementol
07-28-2010, 02:17 PM
i think, im not sure, that thinking particles have colission between particles.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2010, 02:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.