PDA

View Full Version : Rendering sprites and fluids at once?

ADamiani
07-22-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm switching over to Maya from Max, and I'm trying to render a shot with some flies (animated sprites) rising out of a cloud of decay and noxious gas. In the preview window everything works fine.

When I try to render with Maya software, the gas works fine but the sprites won't render.
When I try to render with Maya hardware, the sprites work fine but the gas doesn't render.
When I try to render with mental ray, the gas works fine, but the flies all render the same frame of their texture, and don't animate.

Surely there's some way to make Maya just render all the stuff it's already showing me in the preview?

InfernalDarkness
07-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Well, to answer your last question, no there doesn't.

But we'll try anyway! Using Maya Soft, you should be able to render your movie-sprites just fine. What kind of file type are you using for those movies?

Are they set to visible? Set to visible in refractions/reflections as well? If they're inside the fluid, the fluid may occlude them entirely otherwise. There are many areas where this can go foul.

Do they render when you hide the fluid?

ADamiani
07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
No, they weren't being occluded; I ran tests of them side-by-side, rather than with the flies moving through the volume. I'm reasonably confident this is a rendering issue; near as I can tell, sprites are hardware-only, fluids are software-only, and Mental Ray doesn't play nice with per-particle attributes.

The animated-sprites are .png sequences.

I've gone ahead and just composited them in with AfterFX, losing the depth entirely. It's suboptimal, but it works. Thank you very much for trying to help.

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.