PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Animation 1_WIP

jenlonge
07-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Hello!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9vCWOFiBlk

This is an animation I did with Maya. Since mermaids are pretty hard to find I had to make one myself and rig it myself too (which is an activity I do not really enjoy). The upper body is from a Daz Character and the tail I modeled most of it.

What I'm mostly worried about is the timing of the motion between the tail and the rest of the body. I had to modify it many time before it felt right to me, but does it really feel right?

I hesitated before adding the background but I tough that it would help create some sort of ambiance. In the final work, should I get rid of it, playblast it or render it?

Thank you very much for your input!

jenlonge
07-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Made some tweaking and added ease (in-out) to the previous animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pkzsUsWEjE

JWRodegher
08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Well, I think this needs a fair amount of work. I see it going from pose to pose and then keeping them for a bit too long. Im not sure what is that shes looking at, I cant really read whats going on. Perhaps shes just bored and decided to go swimming a while (I assume shes underwater). Well even for and underwatter scene, I think to rise like that, she would need to generate the force that will drive her weight. Her tail should move faster in a very fluid fashion.

I think its tough to imagine how mermaids are supposed to "take off" from a rest position to verticual swiming. Maybe going forwar a bit and then up would feel more natual. It would be safe to think about underwater movement as always in curves, even long ones and not so arbitrary.

Hope some of this will help at least a bit.

jenlonge
08-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the crit. You actually got it right! She was bored then decided to go for a swim out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP-yaTD_tko
You are right about the rise. I tough about the speed many times. The thing is, she half human, half fish. Fish move fast underwater and humans (who are not so such good swimmers like me) move slow. And since she was first thinking about what action to take, I decided to opt for a slow motion so that it will be properly read.
And since she is an imaginary creature, this took some imagination. But I'll think about the speed again.

JWRodegher
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
I think what you need is blend positions and motion. Right now I see way too separated actions for things that should be fluidly continuous. For example when she lifts her torso and then go forward.

About the rising, I think that more important than speed itself is the sensation of weight. Even underwater, where weight is way easier to lift, I would expect to see her strugle with the condense enviroment shes moving in. I though it would look better if she was sitting with her tail around her, and then using it to give her self some impulse.

You could use some reference from video, and then stilyze the movement to make it look more lady like.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.