PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of flickering in renderman?

davidliu3d
07-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Anyone run into this problem? and have a solution? The flickering also happens when i render in Mental ray. Any help is appreciated.

kiryha
07-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Post some images and describe a bit more your scene setup- it can be bunch of flikering reasons.

davidliu3d
07-22-2010, 07:07 AM
A single image won't help much because it looks fine as a single frame render, it's only noticeable in the animation.

It looks like the textures are moving and even objects that don't have textures and only a basic color shader look like they're moving. It's like there's invisible termites.

There's only one directional light with an ENV sphere with and HDR. image. The textures all have no filtering. I don't think filtering has anything to do with it because shaders with no textures are sort of flickering.

Shading rate is 1
pixel filtering is 15
samples is 128

egglybagelface
07-23-2010, 09:40 AM
If its happening in mentalRay, too, then its not Renderman but what you've done in Maya.

Does it happen with Maya software renderer?

Wandering "texture" on objects with no texture? hummmm.

The first thing I look at with flickering is Indirect lighting. Low samples can do funky things to animation.

Animated UV placements?
What file type are you using? Is it compressed? Change the file save to a tif, tga or bmp with NO compression.
RGB type?
Select each object with problems, open the graph editor and view anything animated that shouldn't be.
Go to an earlier saved version of the scene, if any, and check if it does it there.
Turn off the Env sphere and put a standard omni light in there to see if that's the culprit.

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2010, 09:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.