PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 'offically' delayed - confirmed by Valve

Seven
09-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Shacknews (www.shacknews.com) has recieved word from Valve themselves confirming the delay of Half Life 2.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/28497

The email recieved by Shacknews is apparently 100% legit and is indeed from Doug himself.

Half Life 2 is now scheduled for a 'holiday season' release with no in-store date given

"The previously announced September 30th release date for Half-Life 2 is being pushed back. We are currently targeting a holiday release, but do not have a specific "in-store" date to share at this time. We will release that information as soon as we have confirmed a new date"

A sad sad day indeed :(

Sevv

PureFire
09-24-2003, 01:18 PM
this sucks a$$ :(

t-toe
09-24-2003, 02:39 PM
AAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

ambient-whisper
09-24-2003, 02:49 PM
we already knew this a month or so ago. it just wasnt officially stated. ( i think it was vinveti that said it would be delayed at first. )

P_T
09-24-2003, 03:04 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!! how could they?!? i already stock up 2 dozen frozen pizzas and a crate of cokes :annoyed:

shade_E
09-24-2003, 03:08 PM
MY GOD!! STOP TEASING US!!!

Neil
09-24-2003, 04:11 PM
*cough condition-zero
*cough

:rolleyes:

give em some more time to work out this nvidia/ati fiasco

Neil
09-24-2003, 04:14 PM
oops, well according the scoring sheet in their threads on shacknews, i just got a few points

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK guys, add up your scores, here's the scoresheet.

1 point: made a reference to DNF

2 points: pointed out that hl1 was delayed for a year and was worth the wait

2 points: standing up and declaring that you don't care about the delay because you'd rather play a great game than a half finished game

3 points: reference to TF2

3 points: reference to CS:CZ

5 points: reference to TF2 or CS:CZ with quotes from valve and or an original release date

8 points: Claiming you already knew it was gonna be delayed because of the date on Amazon.

8 points: Claiming valve delayed it because doom 3's release date has been pushed back.

12 points: Quoting a Doom 3 release date.

13 points: Pointing out that Gabe Newell used to work at MS

13 points: Pointing out that Gabe Newell has put on weight

14 points: Bitching that there isn't a linux/mac port.

15 points: Linking to a post you made months ago predicting the delay (oooh spooky!!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bentllama
09-24-2003, 05:47 PM
This has been talked about in the Washington area/circle of developers for some time now.

I am upset too, but as with any great game, please take all the time you need to tighten it.

Besides...

You have HALO PC to play next week. It has a street date of 9/30.
Enjoy!

markdc
09-24-2003, 10:13 PM
I'd rather they take their time and get it right. Same goes for Halo2:)

Any extra features in Halo PC?

BiTMAP
09-25-2003, 12:48 AM
I'm inlove with this, its pissing all the "CS" dolts and assholes that i hate so much... i hope they all get so pissed off and annoyed that they leave the HL franchies damnwell alone! I want HL² to be something damn special and diffrent not a reash. Whilst to many "fans" (and that fragmaster guy who posts the geiger counter on phl) want CS² and there stupid "fun" Joygames (things that are games without a point or a story) and it just pushes me to further develop my games story into a dark scary game, i want people to want to stop playing it becuase they hate whats going on, but to continue playing it becuase its a good game.

Valkyrien
09-25-2003, 01:00 AM
great that'll give me a little more time to finish HL, HL:OF, HL:TF, etc ;)

Neil
09-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by BiTMAP
want CS² and there stupid "fun" Joygames (things that are games without a point or a story) and it just pushes me to further develop my games story into a dark scary game, i want people to want to stop playing it becuase they hate whats going on, but to continue playing it becuase its a good game.

Any game company would sell their own mother to have the loyalty that the HL mods have brought. So to call them stupid people and 'haters' (when in reality if they hated a game, why would they play it? it's becaues they LOVE it!) makes no sense.

*note: i don't understand your last statement.... :hmm:

Modron
09-25-2003, 03:17 AM
My cousin is a programmer/part owner of Valve. I'll ask him about a date.

BiTMAP
09-25-2003, 05:44 AM
I know what your saying Neil, and those TRUE fans will NEVER leave Valve, nor will they create such an issue, they'd have faith, its the people who don't know who valve is, or just found out, who didn't know that CS was a HL mod, the people who are all about CS and well, the "Steriotypical" CS players who just annoy me to no end at there stupidity and complaining about anything thats actualy GOOD!

*note* steam, WILL be good, at this point its not exactly perfect lol ;)

bentllama
09-25-2003, 10:51 AM
I am still curious to see if their "pricing scheme" will alienate some users...

nikita
09-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Isn't that just a little bit suspicous that the only site who receives an email from Valve is shacknews.com? Doesn't "Valve seems to have been having some mail issues so you may not see this on other sites.." sound like a lame excuse?

PCGames says today (25/9) on http://www.pcgames.de/index.cfm?article_id=226500 :

"Auf unsere Rückfragen hat der HL 2-Entwickler Valve bislang nicht reagiert. "

Which translated is something like "HL2 developer Valve hasn't reacted to our inquiries yet". This is the biggest german gaming magazine which covers most of the german-speaking market in Europe!

This whole thing smells very fishy...

raz-0
09-25-2003, 07:02 PM
well, I'll give you my reasoning for a date and why. I basically posted the same thing the night before shcaknews broke the delay, and the moderators removed my post without warning from teh steampowered forums.

Basically I said that HL2 would not be out 9-30, and that in order for them to release, certain criteria had to be satisfied.

1) the 9800XT had to be ready to go, as ATI would not be paying $8M in order to show up with a game that had been out for a couple of weeks. The rumor mill says the 9800XT isn't going to be out 9-30. Rumor mill says teh the 9800XT is in the hands of some vendors. Which usually means places like alienware, and they usually need a 2 week lead time for integration testing. Then it is usally another 2 weeks for it to hit customers' doorsteps. Gluing these rumors together with the hint from someone with a bunch of the newest stuff coming down the pike in hand and NDAs coming out the wazzoo that you might want to wait till around halloween time if you were buying a new top of the line video card. (it's either the 5950 or the 9800XT, I'm guessing the XT based on the state of leaked sample photos i have seen).

2)steam has to be ready to deal with multiplayer and patches, and there will be a patch, just too much complex stuff for there not to be one almsot immediately. Steam isn't. Steam is at least 2 weeks out form being capable with working a dev team to death, and that doesn't even include sorting out billing. COmpletely forget about sorting out billing in europe, which is even harder with the different approaches to credit cards and taxes.

3)You have to go gold. The fastes from gold to shelf I have seen has been from monolith for NOLF2 and AVP2. Both did it in about 10 business days. HL2 will have a significantly larger pressing, as well as collector's editions, it will take longer. I know people like to believe that steam distribution will make this meaningless, but it won't. At the very least europe's still heavy use of dialup and charge by the minute fees (or even usage caps and charge by the megabyte fees for broadband) mean you need things on brick and mortar shelves there. HEck, even in the US, the majority of sales will be off the shelf. THey can't give their publisher the finger, nor germany and the UK which are like the #2 and #4 market respectively.

4) if you look at the online sites and the brick and mortar stores, all there release dates vary. But all the dates are there last acceptable date for getting holiday season shelf space. i.e. about 11-18 for brick and mortar, and 12-01 for direct ship from warehouse. In addition, none of the big chains have been given a definite as they haven't placed their orders. That means we are still over 10 business days away (and likely at least 15 calendar days away).

So given that, I'm betting that 9-30 sees HL2 go gold rather than ship. That gives about a 3 week window for pressing and shipping. which means that the last stores will have their stuff en-route by 10-21. stores will be told to hold stock off the floor until 10-28 (at least in the US, we release on tuesdays, dunno about the rest of the planet). That should put both the 9800XT and the retail box on the shelves for the last week of october, and should mean quantities are not limited when black friday hits (day after thanksgiving in US). sometime between 9-30 and 10-21 we should see more finalized version of steam and a demo/benchmark. My guess is that this will be the last or next to last stress test of steam.

If steam is in shape, and valve is really bold, you might see steam sales and the 9800XT with a steam voucher hit a week before the store shelf stocks, but I don't think even then that it will be earlier than 10-21 at best.

Thaqt's my take on reading between the lines from statements made by folks under NDA, and current order status at best buy and walmart, the nature of steam and how much work it still actually needs, and hearing horror stories about trying to accomodate anything but the US and canada into a US billing system.

GSuRfer
09-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Did anyone really believe that this would come out before the holiday season?????

FloydBishop
09-25-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by bentllama

You have HALO PC to play next week. It has a street date of 9/30.
Enjoy!

Hey bentllama, do you know if there's a demo available for HALO PC?

richcz3
09-25-2003, 07:39 PM
raz-0

That was a very interesting and rational read. I had other reasons, but those are far more likely for the obvious logistical reasons you mentioned.
:thumbsup:

richcz3

kwshipman
09-26-2003, 01:39 AM
I am still curious to see if their "pricing scheme" will alienate some users...

What do you mean by this?

ambient-whisper
09-26-2003, 02:22 AM
i think he means about the 4 versions ( i think its 4 ) of HL2.

one will be only single player

one with both..
and 2 others i forget.

bentllama
09-26-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Floyd Bishop
Hey bentllama, do you know if there's a demo available for HALO PC?

;)

spakman
09-27-2003, 08:25 PM
This has been talked about in the Washington area/circle of developers for some time now.

I am upset too, but as with any great game, please take all the time you need to tighten it.

You sed it. :wise:

I'm not so much upset as understanding. You doods at Valve pull off some pimpin moves.

To the cause! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.