PDA

View Full Version : Displacement VS Normal maps

acc9340
07-21-2010, 06:57 PM
I am having a hard time understanding something and was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I would help set me straight. I thought displacement maps generated by zBrush were supposed to give a high level of detail. Here's my problem:

I am using zbrush 3.2 on a mac and porting my models to and from MAYA via goZ. I output a normal map and a displacement map on my current project because I found that displacement alone was not giving me good results...

in MAYA:
I layout the UV's before porting to zbrush
I render with MR
I have put mental ray subDivApprox on the model
I have put mental ray DisplaceApprox on the model
I have turned off feature displacement for the model.

With all of this I still end up turning the Displacement Map's Alpha gain up to 7.5 (the alpha offset is simply set to be begative Alpha Offset/2). Doing that still barely gives me good results but a lot of detail is missing, going higher just balloons the parts of the model that seem affected. I get the rest of the detail by generating a normal map. Should I have to do that? Shouldn't the displacement map do all the detail work?

I'd appreciate any information or tips.

Thanks as always.

ACC

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2010, 06:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.