PDA

View Full Version : subsurface scattering in games

Yeenke
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
hi, i am trying to find some information about subsurface scattering in games. I understand everything about subsurface scattering in renders like mental ray renderer, but i would like to know something about game sss. More about Epidermal and Subdermal maps and implementationt to game engin.
thanx

SpiralFace
07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
True Subsurface scattering in games is still way too expensive to justify, but there are a few engines out there that use fakes to get some subtle backscatter into their models. (Mostly in things like the ears.)

I know Unreal engine 3 can do this, but I'm not sure what other engines have something similar to it.

JakeJohnson
08-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Most games fake this with Transmission Maps. At our studio, we created a material shader that reacts to directional light stored in a special light environment. Unreal is probably the best engine for faking SSS in my opinion. Games are also starting to experiment with rendering realtime SSS on the GPU of the video card which is actually not too bad of a perf hit unless your GPU tick is clogged for other things. But it is really only useful for cinematics with closeup shots of characters...if I'm not mistaken, I think RAGE is experimenting with this GPU tech, but it could be hearsay.

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2010, 07:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.