PDA

View Full Version : EXR ZDepth channel comes out black

joie
07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi guys;

I want to render my scene plus ZDepth renderpass. I want to render in exr 32 bit (or 16 bit half if possible) format and everything renders OK scept the depth channel wich comes out totally black.

I can render in TGA or HDR with no problems, but not in EXR. I don't want to render in TGA because it doesn't support 32bit and also HDR because it has no alpha information.

I've seen this (http://mayastation.typepad.com/maya-station/2009/04/render-passes-comes-out-black.html)but it doesn't fix my problem.

Any ideas?

Thank's.

Darkseal
07-20-2010, 10:11 PM
I was having an issue the other day too. I was saving a depth pass but no depth info existed in the iff file when i opened it in Fcheck.......

So, I added everything to a render layer and used the preset depth render on the render layer. Tada! I dont know what bit it is....

ps: im in maya 7

pps: "luminance depth" render layer preset

SePu
07-20-2010, 11:42 PM
where do u find those Render Layer Presets in 2011? I cant find them ...

cavemen
07-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Did you try rendering the exr as a multi channel exr ?
If you are using maya version 2009 + you can get the zdepth as a pass output
You just have to select depth pass in the passes tab of the render globals...
Associate it with your render layer if you have any
and render the exr .. that should give you your depth as a pass in your multichannel exr
Just extract it in any composting software...

Leme know if this was useful
Regards

joie
07-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Darkseal, those render presets have been removed on 2011, so you can't do what you do in 2009 (I used to do that though).

Cavemen, Can you elaborate your answer?, If I check the depth in the render globals, it does generate another exr file, but it can't be opened since it is an iff file with exr extension BTW (strange)

achoury
07-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Darkseal, those render presets have been removed on 2011, so you can't do what you do in 2009 (I used to do that though).
Cavemen, Can you elaborate your answer?, If I check the depth in the render globals, it does generate another exr file, but it can't be opened since it is an iff file with exr extension BTW (strange)
hi
. right click on the layer, choose Attributes then Presets, from there you can choose the Luminance Depth.(Maya 2011)
. for the pass just check Depth in Output setting for your camera, and RGBA (short) 4*16 Bit
hope this help
/Rachid

joie
07-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Mmmm, I don't have any render presets in the render layers..., it may be a preferences error?. I've doubled check in another computer and there is no render presets in 2011.

And activating the depth in the camera in the render globals just make an unreadable exr I don't know why...

Could you Rachid make a test scene with those things and share it (or I'm asking for too much)?.

Thank's :)

cavemen
07-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Add all the objects in a render layer
select the render layer
open your render globals
next to common tab there is a tab called passes
click on that
click on create new render pass button ( first button next to scene Passes)
select camera depth and click on the create button
It will create a depth pass in your scene passes box
Select the depth pass in your scene passes box
and add it to the associated passes box by clicking on the red arrow that is pointing downwards with a + sign on it. ( Note that before you do this you are on the render layer)
Render the image as an exr.
It will create a multi channel exr for you and you can see your depth pass in any compositing software.

I hope this was helpful ...

joie
07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Ah, for sure I was sowing something wrong...

Now I can see the depth channel in my exr file, but only with imf_disp.

In After Effects I don't see anything, Is there something special I must do to work well with exr in After Effects?.

cavemen
07-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Hi
Joie

did you do a multi channel exr or just rendered the depth as a single exr image ?

Regards

nickyhou
07-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi Joie,

In After Effects CS4:
For a Multichannel EXR you have to apply an effect caller "Extractor" to the layer. In the effect controls you then select which channel of the exr you want to use.

If you are using render layer you can also remap the white/black values of the zdepth according to your scene, setting the near and far clip planes. You end up with a much more contrasted zdepth pass instead of a washed out one, which is better.
Here is where you adjust it check it out
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1298/depthdetails.th.jpg (http://img63.imageshack.us/i/depthdetails.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Saludos desde argentina!;)
Nicolás

joie
07-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Thank you for answers, now it work right (apparently you can't do this kind of passes on the default render layer, you need a new one).

Thank's for the info guys, I really appreciate it :)

syna
07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
If i only check the Z-depth in the render globals i have the Z-depth pass! i have no problems.
The only thing is that it comes in exr but in fact it is an iff, so i change the extension, open in fcheck an save again. I don't know why but photoshop can´t regonize the original file

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.